Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha

Air Filter Review

Disclaimer : This Test Was Done And Based On Personal Judgements And Opinions. OZ Honda, K&N and Apexi Did Not Endorse This Test....

Ok, The last week, I've been playing around with my two airfilters....

As some might have known, I've decided to buy another K & N Filter to use so I can wash the other filter which came with the K & N Typhoon Intake Kit for the Accord Euro..

A Refresher............

Test Car... My Sexy Euro...

CAI KIT - K & N Typhoon Cold Air Intake

Ok, the difference between the Xtreme Series Filter and the Normal one is that the Xtreme Series has an extra opening on the top of the filter...

One fine night, I decided to pack them up with my tools, go to a nice isolated spot in a friend's farm to test the air filter...

Due to the short distance, I was only able to perform 0-100km/h test..

Anyway, with the Normal K & N Filter, I was able to run consistant 7-7.06seconds and with the Xtreme Series, I was running 7.25-7.39seconds, All tested with the RSM-GP with G Sensor on the very same night with Half a tank of petrol and a passenger.

Anyway, I was curious to how the more expensive filter can kill the time, I did some reading and approached my tuner with the results and findings..

This is what the problem is...

Turbulence...

I've done a CAD drawing to make the explaination easier. See, VTEC engines love air and the faster the air goes in, the better it is for the engine, The problem with the Xtreme Filter is that with the extra opening, the intake of air from the opening creates turbulence in the filter thus slowing the intake charge of the air into the engine. With the normal one, there is no opening and air is thus able to flow more evening in. Having said this, I remembered I once had an Apexi POD before in one of my old rides and it has a cone inside the filter to direct intake air smoothly into the engine. I figured with the cone inside the Apexi POD, it will work better for the VTEC Engines.

If anyone wants to lend me the Apexi filter to try, I would greatly appreciate it as I don't see the point in buying it just for the sake of testing the car. If you are able to lend me the Apexi POD, I will exchange it with my K & N for the time being while I test it to see if my findings makes sense...

Anyway, Thanks for you time...

CHEERS
    Nick
    Last edited by EuroAccord13; 24-10-2004 at 08:24 PM.
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport
    RenaultSport RS265 Trophy+

Team Yum Cha Daily - The Dim Sum Revolution

OzHonda's Public Relations Guru

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Ahhh nice work Nick.

Very interesting to see that it affected your 0-100 time by that much. How many runs did you do with each filter?
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTi-R Hatch
    yeh - it is quite interesting.

Two thoughts:

1)Im not so sure about your turbulence diagram.

2) is it possible that the ECU needed time to adjust to fully take advantage of the new filter?

thanks nick!

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    Quote Originally Posted by wynode
    Ahhh nice work Nick.

Very interesting to see that it affected your 0-100 time by that much. How many runs did you do with each filter?
    I did 3 runs each and then switched filters and did a run again, then switched and ran again..... I'm actually quite surprised at the time difference... I'm just wondering if it's my mind playing tricks on me LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by VTEC16
    yeh - it is quite interesting.

Two thoughts:

1)Im not so sure about your turbulence diagram.

2) is it possible that the ECU needed time to adjust to fully take advantage of the new filter?

thanks nick!

1. Maybe the diagram is not clear heheheh.. What I meant was that VTEC Engines need lotsa air in the engine and fast, the Turbulence caused in the filter slows down the intake charge of the air, thus possibly losing air pressure towards the engine...

2. With modern ECU, I'm sure it selfs learn quite fast.. Not Sure though
    Last edited by EuroAccord13; 24-10-2004 at 08:13 PM.
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Onya nick - Nice times you are getting there. Have you broken 7 seconds yet?

Maybe we should try my rims on your car -- I want to see someone get under 7... at least once.. ! It would actually be an interesting review as to how much difference unsprung weight has to times...

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    Quote Originally Posted by yfin
    Onya nick - Nice times you are getting there. Have you broken 7 seconds yet?

Maybe we should try my rims on your car -- I want to see someone get under 7... at least once.. ! It would actually be an interesting review as to how much difference unsprung weight has to times...
    Yoram, find a nice cool day and we'll go try and break the 7 second barrier together

TRAVDM Array
    Car:
    Lots of Hondas
    this write up is so good, nice work
    oh wrd!

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    nice write-up. glad u didnt just use the butt dyno, but got some measurements
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    Thanks All...

So anyone wants to lend me an Apexi Pod to try

Nick ur diagrams are a good way of explaining it man.

On adyno, we did a quad TB setup, and u can actually see that at some spots the power decreases due to the turbulence etc

This is a cool forum topic, which is found using the search function LOL

anyway, i must be frigging blind because how the heck do you guys find the pod filters for the accord euro!!

Questions:
    Is it also a fair enough assumption to say that the pod from the typhoon is the best so far,

isnt the Typhoon system a CAI ??? (edit - yes, after closer inspection of picture!!)

Can you let me know model number for k&n for accord euro pls?

Maybe i will get an apexi one, if i can find it,

Anyway some answers or direction (eg search the forums etc) would be good

Thanks for posting a great topic!!

Cheers Guys
    Last edited by adammet04; 22-12-2004 at 09:21 PM.
    TEAM YUM CHA DAILY

Quote Originally Posted by Krogoth
    so damn coooool, lol, u mite just 5h1t urself

Member Array
    Car:
    datsun 200b
    u can use mine if u want!!

i got a Apexi Power funel air pod

Ken