Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    GP Racer

DC2r LSD Gear oil ? - Recommendations ?

Hi,

I'm am strongly considering taking the car out for some autokhana events - but in as it is due for a 90k service soon - i was considering changing the gear oil to something that will take the rigours of autocrossing well.
    I have recently purchased the car 2nd hand - and am open to swapping the fluids out - just to be on the safe side. If there is a suggested brand / rating of gear oil which would be beneficial for the stock gearbox and lsd - i do appreciate the heads up.

Thanks in advance.

p/s: in a previous car i have tried redline lightweight shockproof - and found that it coats the gear assy with the deposit. And given that - uncomfortable running it with the lsd.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R
    i guess people will say honda OEM oils from the dealer

Member Array
    Car:
    EG3
    ^ stick with oem for oem box, redline apparently is bad for the OEM gears and LSD
    Why hello there

Member Array
    Car:
    EGSi,DC2R,ED9
    Castrol VMX80, which is 75w80. $10-12 per litre from supercheap auto, repco etc.

Or Honda MTF which is the same 75w80 oil, bottled and supplied by an aust petroleum company at $15+ per litre.

I use VMX for my dc2r.

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S2000
    Motul Gear FF Competition 75W - 140W

Withstands heat very well in track conditions. Also designed for cars with LSD.

A bit tricky on a cold morning though as it needs to warm up.
    "Power is nothing without control" - Peter Tyson (Pirelli)

thethrillofdriving.blogspot.com

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by l3vnd1 View Post
    Motul Gear FF Competition 75W - 140W

Withstands heat very well in track conditions. Also designed for cars with LSD.

A bit tricky on a cold morning though as it needs to warm up.
    That is a bit too thick considering the type of synchros that Honda uses in their gearbox.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightdood View Post
    Hi,

I'm am strongly considering taking the car out for some autokhana events - but in as it is due for a 90k service soon - i was considering changing the gear oil to something that will take the rigours of autocrossing well.
    I have recently purchased the car 2nd hand - and am open to swapping the fluids out - just to be on the safe side. If there is a suggested brand / rating of gear oil which would be beneficial for the stock gearbox and lsd - i do appreciate the heads up.

Thanks in advance.

p/s: in a previous car i have tried redline lightweight shockproof - and found that it coats the gear assy with the deposit. And given that - uncomfortable running it with the lsd.
    Does your gearbox have the OEM LSD or is it an aftermarket clutch-type LSD?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    That is a bit too thick considering the type of synchros that Honda uses in their gearbox.
    How so?

For a daily driver I agree. But on the track, has performed the best in comparisson to the other fluids I have used.
    "Power is nothing without control" - Peter Tyson (Pirelli)

thethrillofdriving.blogspot.com

Member Array
    Car:
    CP2 / EG5
    Amsoil synchromesh from the US is awesome oil for honda gear boxes.

I get it from a supplier in Melb.

Have been using it for years for street and track, no issues and only costs like $16-18 per bottle of a litre.

Member Array
    Car:
    GP Racer
    Thanks for the heads up guys!

I appreciate the feedback.

Member Array
    Car:
    GP Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Does your gearbox have the OEM LSD or is it an aftermarket clutch-type LSD?
    To the best of my understanding it would be running the stock torsen OEM one.

Member Array
    Car:
    A piece of shit
    Stock LSD, you can really use anything. I used to use the Neo Racing LSD gear box oil in mine. It was amazing. Took a little to heat up on the steet, but the protection on the track was great!

For Cusco difs use the recommended. I have tried plenty of g/b oils for my cusco dif, and the only ones that work are Cusco oil, and Motul FF LSD Type II g/b oil. Indy@ISMR stocks it. Neo Racing oil, whilst good on the stock dif is really very very bad for the Clutch type dif.

My 2c. Ppl will give opinions... it's really what your budget it, and what you feel comfortable using. I listened to alot of people on the forums before, and alot of what you hear is crap. Everyone likes different things. Try some products and make yor mind up for yourself.