Member Array
    Car:
    honda civic

08 crv side steps

hey has anyone here got OEM side steps on their 08 CRVs?
    does it help protect the car abit from door dings and that?

and also which side step do you have?
    type 1

type 2

im hoping the type 1 does the job as i prefer the simpler design of it

Member Array
    Car:
    CRV MY07
    We got a type 2.

It's not worth the money (approx $1300) to purchase and fit them since they don't protect the side of the car. Even door dings will hit higher than the step. Even worse, the steps is an extra 2-3 cm lower to the body - so your effective clearance is reduced.

The steps are next to useless unless you are aged 2-7 years old or under a height of 1.5m. Adults can lift their feet high enough to clear it easily.
    Older adults or people with walking restrictions won't be able to use the steps since they don't protrude our far enough to place the entire feet on it, just the ball of the feet.

Lastly, cleaning it is a b*st*rd due to poor design. There are no drainage points along the step and so water will collect on the step itself and leave dirt marks. I am tempted to drill some small drainage holes for water runoff.

Hope this info helps. The only reason why we got it was that we're on a novated lease.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 / KB1
    Got the type 1. It doesnt protect from door dings. More of an appearance thing thats why we get one, somehow it look better with a side steps. As "yorrick" said cleaning is a bit of a pain, however i found that by hosing from one end to the other will remove most of the water.

"yorrik" you might want to try placing your feet parallel to the door when using the steps. of cause it will take a bit of getting use to but after a while its like breathing
    Own a Honda Legend? Visit www.acuralegend.org

Member Array
    Car:
    92 Legend, 92 Civic
    crv's are also harder to put on hoist with stidesteps... just a gripe from a mechanic :P

Member Array
    Car:
    CRV MY07
    Quote Originally Posted by j.meng87 View Post
    Got the type 1. It doesnt protect from door dings. More of an appearance thing thats why we get one, somehow it look better with a side steps. As "yorrick" said cleaning is a bit of a pain, however i found that by hosing from one end to the other will remove most of the water.

"yorrik" you might want to try placing your feet parallel to the door when using the steps. of cause it will take a bit of getting use to but after a while its like breathing

Cleaning the side steps needs extra care and soaks up extra time. After washing it down and wiping the car clean, then you clean the side steps. Unfortunately, they get dirty real quick since they are so close to the ground and anything collects in the step.

As for getting the step right, try telling that to a 3 year old or an older person with restricted mobility (ie. hip replacement?). I wouldn't call it "breathing" ... perhaps "asphyxiation"...

Member Array
    Car:
    honda civic
    wow thanks for the useful info guys
    i think i may pass on these if the really serve no purpose at all...

btw just curious, were they hard to install?

Member Array
    Car:
    CRV MY07
    Quote Originally Posted by [ricer] View Post
    wow thanks for the useful info guys
    i think i may pass on these if the really serve no purpose at all...

btw just curious, were they hard to install?

Dunno. It was installed as part of the initial purchase.
    The parts dealer at Honda should fit it for you since you need to locate the hardpoint to mount the side steps. Not something that is clearly marked or easy to see.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    07 CR-V Nitehwk IvyLuxury
    Quote Originally Posted by j.meng87 View Post

i agree j.meng87.... when i bought my CRV i purchased the type 1 side steps as it makes her look more nicer, bolder & complete. Without it she would look - unfinished, even boring - like a bland hatch back. the side steps i suppose make it look at least what it is, a compact SUV (hate that word.. so american)

type 1 works for me.. type 2 looks even more nice but yeh.. there goes ground clearance. plus if anyone were to put in the front and back aero kits than type 1 side steps is your side skirts! looks hella nice!

and yes.. i too have learnt to put my left foot parrallel on the side step to get in AND out and it works like a charm.
    "shake well before opening"

I got the type 2. It's an appearance thing. I haven't found it really hard to clean. I've just wiped it down after I've washed it, although it does get dirty quite easily.

Member Array
    Car:
    datsun 200b
    lucky i dont have side steps

looks cleaner without
    VTEC+Turbo=dirty underpants

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    07 CRV Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Codes View Post
    I got the type 2. It's an appearance thing. I haven't found it really hard to clean. I've just wiped it down after I've washed it, although it does get dirty quite easily.
    I agree. I have the type 2 and I think it looks good. I have two young children and they use the step to get in and out.

Member Array
    Car:
    09CRVLUX,94VTIRLUDE,&BIKE
    Quote Originally Posted by zy32 View Post
    type 1 works for me.. type 2 looks even more nice but yeh.. there goes ground clearance. plus if anyone were to put in the front and back aero kits than type 1 side steps is your side skirts! looks hella nice.
    Exactly what I have. I own an 09 CRV with the type 1 SS. Imo the type 1 look better and as you say, with the front and rear Areo bars, looks a treat. For me it was about completing the look then functionality