Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Drive by wire lag.......

Hi All,

I have noticed in my wife's 2006 FD VTi auto that there is at times throttle lag when taking off from standstill, but not all the time, just occasionally.

I have searched previous threads (mainly for manuals) and some have noted Honda have explained to them that this is a safety issue built in.

How is a 20-50ms delay classified as a safety issue??? It has got me baffled. It was never there from when we bought the car at new and has crept in at about 20,000. Seems to me its a poor excuse to hopefully see the customer disappear. Does the car have some sort of 'AI' built in and decides, 'no, i will decide when to move, not you.....'

Also, I found this on Complaints corner

http://www.motorsm.com/complaints/up...y.asp?aid=2799

It mentions the DBW issues as well and on top of it the pinging that I have experienced (which I'm sure others have) and the same common excuse that dealers have used.

Member Array
    Car:
    bmw
    hey,
    i own a late 08' civic

yeah i have experienced this once or twice in the past.

the complaint refers to "The drive-by-wire electronic throttle system suffers serious hesitation and jerkiness" which happens to me when i am at high rev's going up a hill and changing from second to third gear. scared me the first time and now i just dont bother accelerating past 4000 rpm

i will be mentioning this at my 10,000km service.. and ill see what they say, n keep you posted.

ciao

I've gotten so used to the DBW lag that it doesn't bother me.

There are plug in mods in the market (sprint booster is one) which promise to reduce the lag and generally increase the responsiveness of DBW systems... I've tried it on my FD and wasn't too impressed with the outcome... for 450 bucks you'd want a fairly obvious benefit.

See if your local tuner shop can let you trial the sprint booster.. see if you like it.
    07 FD1 - Pics
    Full Mugen Kit
    TopFuel zero-1000 SRI
    18" Rays G-Games 99b
    OzHonda sticker x 2

Member Array
    Car:
    99 Prelude VTIR
    The Company i work for (adaptronic) is currently trying to solve this issue with "lag" in Drive By Wire and also will hopefully be one of few ECU's that will be able to control this issue as well as well. Unfortunately you cant get rid of the whole "lag" issue completely as it isnt a "mechanical" throttle body but our system will eventually be more responsive then what the stock ECU can compute Along with changing everything else in your cars response with the ECU .

i've always had this issue with my car. i still bought it thinking that i would eventually get used to it. Took me a while but it's one of the things i've disliked most about the car.

I know buddyclub have a device called drive-by-wire controler and it will help on the lag alot, my friend who bough one and he said he cant feel the lag anymore...
    he told me buddyclub is offering free test on ur car, u just have to book it in and they will fit for u and u can go around the block before buying it, and i think its a good idea..

I've got a new FD1 manual, and occasionally feel slight jerkiness in the acceleration in between gear changes particularly in the first 3 gears.

When releasing the clutch after upshifting, and then getting back on the throttle, you can feel the engine a little hessitant just for a moment. I've tried being as smooth as possible with the throttle and clutch inputs, but doesn't seem to help much. (Note: I've been driving manual cars for close to 20 years so I know the problem is not with me )

Quote Originally Posted by markCivicVti View Post
    I've gotten so used to the DBW lag that it doesn't bother me.

There are plug in mods in the market (sprint booster is one) which promise to reduce the lag and generally increase the responsiveness of DBW systems... I've tried it on my FD and wasn't too impressed with the outcome... for 450 bucks you'd want a fairly obvious benefit.

See if your local tuner shop can let you trial the sprint booster.. see if you like it.
    I don't think it is a 'feature' that we should live with. It wasn't there when we bought the car, but it seems others have experienced it from day dot.

To me, it feels like an old carby fed motor which has just leaned out prior to accelerating.

Yes, I will be bringing this up with the dealer on the next service.......

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 BB AP1
    ive got an 08 civic sport - and when using the paddle shifters in S mode - there is a jump in the engine when i gear down - and its pretty sudden too =/... but havn't felt it during gearing up or starting off.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    fd2
    im not sure if ive noticed this drive by wire stuff, as im not 100% sure what it is exactly.

but im guessing i do know what you guys are talking about seeing im use to quick shifting down a manual to accelerate when needed and it took me a few attempts to get it smooth in this car, but now i can do it fine.

and changing up through the gears ive had no problems revving to 6800 or so and hitting next gear perfectly and no issues.

but down shifting correctly was what i noticed had abit of delay from press accelerator, to engine revving, but i think you can predict the delay in the change and compensate for it.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by black8thgen View Post
    ive got an 08 civic sport - and when using the paddle shifters in S mode - there is a jump in the engine when i gear down - and its pretty sudden too =/... but havn't felt it during gearing up or starting off.
    That is normal with all cars having paddleshifters or tiptronic system of some sort. Its always jerky if you downshift, even at 2k rpm

Quote Originally Posted by blasdf View Post
    im not sure if ive noticed this drive by wire stuff, as im not 100% sure what it is exactly.

but im guessing i do know what you guys are talking about seeing im use to quick shifting down a manual to accelerate when needed and it took me a few attempts to get it smooth in this car, but now i can do it fine.

and changing up through the gears ive had no problems revving to 6800 or so and hitting next gear perfectly and no issues.

but down shifting correctly was what i noticed had abit of delay from press accelerator, to engine revving, but i think you can predict the delay in the change and compensate for it.
    Agreed, you just have to get used to it. I drive with it just fine now so its not really a big deal..

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 Civic Sport
    all cars are different so you have to factor in a bit of getting used to the car. if you think this little issue is annoying, try jumping into a brand spanking 1.8t CVT Audi A4 then come back with your complaints lol. i still have issues with it and its just a piece, otherwise a brilliant car, just let down by its transmission, anyways im babbling about an audi lol oops. yeah i have this with the DBW as well, but i dont understand how it is so shit, the bmw has DBW as well and was made a few years before the civic came out and it doesnt have any issues what-so-ever, so it must be a budget thing which can be fixed. just not by the dealer... for free.... or any price for that matter lol