Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    2003 JAZZ
    mech said when he opened it there was heat damage :-S to what extent im not sure... il get some pics when i get it back.

but the extractors are right there. the alt didnt have its own little heat shield so maybe this contributed to an already failing alt? just wierd that it was working 100% and then deteriorated to more it was driven....

Member Array
    Car:
    2003 JAZZ
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboyz39 View Post
    Im pretty sure honda aint dumb to place the alernator there if it was gonna melt/cooked it.

Mayb there's a short or the alternator was on its way out?

but honda do have heat proof headers, heat shields on both extractors and alternator. i had none of the above + ss headers.. so maybe sped up the failing of the alt? we will know if my new one fuks up in the next couple weeks or not

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    get proper headers, decent ones should have enough clearance and not affect any parts.

But if you want to used this header, ceramic coating would work.
    Its better than wrapping & keeps the heat down more
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    2003 JAZZ
    xforce should be fine..

ceramic coating cost vs wrap cost???

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    Good wrap will stop more heat then coating will, dei and the buddyclub stuff are good quality, should be able to get the BC stuff easily from JDM Yard or BC themselves, it comes as kits with straps.

Member Array
    Car:
    POS
    Since your in Brisbane. Go to QLD Diesel Spares at Rocklea. They have the heat wrap there for cheap. Plus you can buy it by the metre instead of a set price for a length thats too short or too long.

Interesting about the heat damage. It was a recent swap? How long had the motor been sitting around prior to you purchasing it?

Could always get a Hasport alternator relocation kit. Moves the alternator lower and maybe further front the headers? Makes the bay look better too!
    FFamily

Member Array
    Car:
    2003 JAZZ
    Quote Originally Posted by turtleEK1 View Post
    Since your in Brisbane. Go to QLD Diesel Spares at Rocklea. They have the heat wrap there for cheap. Plus you can buy it by the metre instead of a set price for a length thats too short or too long.

Interesting about the heat damage. It was a recent swap? How long had the motor been sitting around prior to you purchasing it?

Could always get a Hasport alternator relocation kit. Moves the alternator lower and maybe further front the headers? Makes the bay look better too!
    if theyr open weekends i might swing past tomorow some time. thanks for that. but how much should i get 10m? more less??

engine had been sitting around for a little bit. not 100% sure as to how long.

NO $$ means no relocation kit lol.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    actually good ceramic coating, you can touch the headers when the're on the car. ceramic coating is always better, its just alot more expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Slaz View Post
    Good wrap will stop more heat then coating will, dei and the buddyclub stuff are good quality, should be able to get the BC stuff easily from JDM Yard or BC themselves, it comes as kits with straps.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    POS
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
    actually good ceramic coating, you can touch the headers when the're on the car. ceramic coating is always better, its just alot more expensive
    It looks alot better too!
    FFamily

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Mitsubishi Lancer. (MR)
    I highly doubt that the alternators failure will solely depend on the extractors heat.

Even though your headers are stainless and retain heat for a lot longer that doesn't mean they get hotter. Think about it, you put a cake in the oven at 200 degrees. After an hour of the oven being on at 200 degrees that doesn't mean it will be hotter than 200 degrees. Understand?

Thats my 2c.

Member Array
    Car:
    2003 JAZZ
    ^^

not true. ceramic headers like the oem + heat shields stop the heat from getting to the wires hence making it cooler.

i measured dist between alt and headers, its about 2 and a half fingers away thats very hot for wires etc. may even melt sht?

Member Array
    Car:
    eg h22, odyssey
    Cant believe this thread is still going. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by paps02 View Post
    ^^

not true. ceramic headers like the oem + heat shields stop the heat from getting to the wires hence making it cooler.

i measured dist between alt and headers, its about 2 and a half fingers away thats very hot for wires etc. may even melt sht?