Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    B18CEK DC2VTiR

idle hunting - over it!

hey guys, i have researched this issue a couple times with no luck nor resolution for that fact.

a little bit of background to the story. I've got a 96 Civic GLi and i havent driven it for a while due to a work car and when i went to start it up after quite a while it seemed fine, although i noticed the idle was quite high at 1500rpms. I didn't think there was too much to worry about until the car got warm and it then started jumping rapidly between 2000rpm down to 700, and continued up and down until i turned off the car! the problem continues...

i've pulled apart my throttle body and the RACV (GLi d16) cleaned it thoroughly, new gaskets from honda, put back together and still hunting idle. I've actually done this a couple times thinking i havent cleaned it enough to no avail.

I will mention i have a J racing Rep Intake on it if that helps?

whats next? throttle position sensor? vaccuum leak? list goes on of possibilites? anyone had a similar situation???

any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by ceeazian; 22-03-2009 at 03:11 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    So U have cleaned the IACV on the TB?

Is your IAT sensor hooked back up after U changed the Intake?

Have you callebrated the Voltage on the TPS?

U can put your hand over the TB,if it dies then no leak,if it idles then U have a leak.

Member Array
    Car:
    B18CEK DC2VTiR
    So U have cleaned the IACV on the TB? <---Yes

Is your IAT sensor hooked back up after U changed the Intake? <---Yes

Have you callebrated the Voltage on the TPS? <---Next thing maybe to look at doing??

U can put your hand over the TB,if it dies then no leak,if it idles then U have a leak. <---forgot about this. will try that out aswell.

i should have pointed out that i was driving the car with the intake for quite a while with no issues at all, it was only after i hadnt driven it for that extended period of time that suddenly the idle hunting started?
    Last edited by ceeazian; 22-03-2009 at 03:59 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    I reckon to swap the TB over with another and see if that fixes it.I've had this exact same thing,damn near drove me nuts.Finially swapped the TB over and the problem went.U can go to a wrecker and ask nicely if they have one you can swap in and if it's the problem you'll buy it.Or do U have a friend with the same car? (probably not)

You should also -

- Hook your IAT back up (If it isn't already)
    - Collerbrate the TPS on the TB
    - Check for leaks (Hand over TB,spray carby cleaner all around the intake/exhaust seals and monitor if the revs increase i.e. because the carby cleaner is making the seal air tight.

It could be an electrical issue between the TB and ECU but worry about that next.Do the easy and obvious checks first.

Member Array
    Car:
    honda civic
    i have a gli d16 as well and i didnt drive the car for about 2 to 3 months and when i started it i had the exact same problem... finally after almost giving up trying to fix it my friend had a spare one and i went on to use that...

Member Array
    Car:
    B18CEK DC2VTiR
    Quote Originally Posted by [ricer] View Post
    i have a gli d16 as well and i didnt drive the car for about 2 to 3 months and when i started it i had the exact same problem... finally after almost giving up trying to fix it my friend had a spare one and i went on to use that...
    so what do you think? its almost sounding like i should go out there, get another throttle body and hope that is solves the issue? i am just about giving up fixing it right now aswell!

Member Array
    Car:
    honda civic
    i had my local mechanic look at it... had adrian at toda look at it... the throttle body just shit itself basically... cant remember the price brand new but remember it being something ridiculous.... kinda same price as a whole 2nd hand d16 motor and gear box lol...
    are u in sydney? if so probably head down to honbits in smithfield... heaps of EKs there last time i went... or ask charlie at GPC if he has any around

Member Array
    Car:
    B18CEK DC2VTiR
    hahah i remember asking honda parts how much a genuine one is and i do believe it is something ridicolous.so maybe my TB has sh*t itself. unfortunately not in sydney, im in perth so its going to make it that little bit harder, i never found hobits here helpful!

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    If I just swap the whole bloody TB in the first place,it would have saved a lot of stress.Ya live and learn.

wait wait wait.

Replace the FITV (located under the throttle body) with a known working one OR adjust it -follow this guide CLICK HERE

Member Array
    Car:
    ED/EG5/EP3/JAZZ
    Quote Originally Posted by [ricer] View Post
    i had my local mechanic look at it... had adrian at toda look at it... the throttle body just shit itself basically... cant remember the price brand new but remember it being something ridiculous.... kinda same price as a whole 2nd hand d16 motor and gear box lol...
    are u in sydney? if so probably head down to honbits in smithfield... heaps of EKs there last time i went... or ask charlie at GPC if he has any around
    No TB or IM at honbits anymore

suckers are keeping everything for complete conversions
    161.4KW ATW Tuned By TODA
    EG5 JDM B16A SiR-II TURBO

13.28@106.6mph 2.117 60ft On RE001

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    wait wait wait.

Replace the FITV (located under the throttle body) with a known working one OR adjust it -follow this guide CLICK HERE
    Yes yes yes!!

THIS is the sucker!!!

I didn't know what it was called,but this must have been what was shot in my TB!

I did try to fix the old one but I didn't know what I was doing so I didn't succeed.Replacing it did.

Well Done Benny!!