Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    00' PY DC2R

B16A and B18C..which 1???!!!! headache!!

hey guys...was deciding between a b16a engine and a b18c engine into my civic coupe...its about 400bucks diff...which is more worth it?

the b16a has the same head as the ITR and revs higher but of cz low torque.
    the b18c (integra vtir engine) has higher torque but not much more horsepower.

also does the b18c comes with closer gear ratios?if im nt wrong the b16a halfcut comes with close gear ratios for faster acceleration right?

which wld u guys choose and why? thanks guys!
    I my Honda

EJ8 - DC2 - EM1 - DC2R - CP9A - CT9A - CL9

Both are very good engines and both offer pros and cons.

My opinion is to go for the B18C1 engine from the Integra VTi-R. It offers more torque (which means greater acceleration) and contains a similar short block to the Type R engine (B18C7). Best to get an R tranny with an LSD if you can afford it (either that or buy and aftermarket LSD to get that torque to the ground).

Using aftermarket pistons, cams, pulleys etc and an ITR head, can be easily tuned to exceed that of a Type R engine. Look to Toda, Spoon, Mugen and the likes for your R beating parts.

I'm an NA fan, but the B18C1 is a great starting block for forced induction also. I'm sure your will be pleased either way, but for an extra $400, you can't go wrong mate.

Just my opinion!

Member Array
    Car:
    civic
    who quote you this prices?? i know that a b16 half cut is about 2000 and the jdm b18c half cut is 3500. if you can get them cheaper let me no cos im after an 18c

go the b18c
    jsut becoz it is 1.8 litres

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Sedan w/JDM ZC
    b16 doesnt have the same head as ITR. though it does have more aggressive cams than b18c (vtir). however, go the b18c. the extra torque makes a huge difference. you cant just take into account standing starts. on the roll the b18c will rape the b16. the b18c has fairly short ratios as well but to either engine an ITR box will be a well worthy investment. you will get bigger gains once you start modding the b18 as well.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Torque is more important than horsepower, 1.6 is 1.6, 1.8 is 1.8, although the B18C2 has bad design of the intake manifold and throttle body which makes you find hard to swap with some Type-R parts but you could pay cheaper to get more power in a B18C than a B16

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    get the 16 and bore it out with a stroker kit =]
    Quote Originally Posted by z3lda
    ey, was drivin a honda city before...
    felt like the biggest poofter in the world..LOL

Member Array
    Car:
    EK9
    Quote Originally Posted by vteccoupe
    hey guys...was deciding between a b16a engine and a b18c engine into my civic coupe...its about 400bucks diff...which is more worth it?

the b16a has the same head as the ITR and revs higher but of cz low torque.
    the b18c (integra vtir engine) has higher torque but not much more horsepower.

also does the b18c comes with closer gear ratios?if im nt wrong the b16a halfcut comes with close gear ratios for faster acceleration right?

which wld u guys choose and why? thanks guys!
    how do you know is a close ratio gearbox?...and how close izit..and what final drive ratio he's on?...4.785 or 4.8 or 4.929?
    if you found the car with 4.929, ehhh...probably you will be checking in to petrol station more than you drive it onroad...hehehe...just my comment...hehe..don't just because of the gearbox you go and get the halfcut...check through before buying...hehehe....

Member Array
    Car:
    4thGen Civic GL
    in a Civic Coupe...get a B18C ! the amount of torque you'll get from the 1.8 compared to the 1.6, is worth the $400. Good value for money. (like Waggy said, you can't go wrong) Especially in a Civic coupe. They weigh over a tonne if i am not mistaken.

Besides, if you are going to change the engine in your car, normally it is a 1.6 right, you might aswell go up in capacity too.

Simply, one engine has more torque and power than the other engine. Which engine do you think will make the car go faster up a hill & have better economy when driven conservatively ??

Alternatively, off topic, do a Frankenstein.
    my 5 cents. (GST inc.)
    Ray
    Last edited by bizee_1; 27-10-2004 at 03:54 AM. Reason: (sp?)

Member Array
    Car:
    STi
    How about a combination of both, b18c block with b16a head aka "Poormans Type-R"...???
    Last edited by OB; 27-10-2004 at 07:58 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    '96 Integra VTiR
    B18c would be quicker in day to day driving I imagine (which is what we do 90% of the time) thanks to the extra torque.....
    ALL WITCHES' HATS MUST DIE!!!!!

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4R & EVO6(WRX killa)
    Honestly, if you have the cash, go with a k20A, this enginge has alot of potential. If not, get a B18c7, u will definitely enjoy it mate. Cheers