Member Array
    Car:
    S15
    its easy. Just get rid of traction control. Viola! lol

[27/10/04 - 10:52]

Away from the circuit in Brazil
    News and rumour in brief

The final race for Jaguar and Donkey

Brazil was the last race for the Jaguar team and, as Christian Klien left the pit lane after his final pit-stop on Sunday afternoon, the entire team stood outside the garage and waved him goodbye!

The FIA issued a press statement in Interlagos, outlining proposed rule changes for the 2005 and 2006 Formula 1 World Championships, after the World Motor Sport Council imposed a package of changes aimed at reducing speeds and cutting costs in the sport. As from next season, on the aerodynamic front, the front wing will be raised, the rear wing moved forward, the diffuser height reduced as will bodywork in front of the rear wheels. One of the biggest changes concerns tyres, generally regarded as an easy way to control cornering speeds. The new rules therefore propose that a driver can only use one set of tyres to get through qualifying and the race. Currently, engines have to last a complete Grand Prix weekend, but mileages will now be stretched even further, with engines having to last for two entire race weekends, or around 1400 kilometres.

The FIA had a busy weekend and on Saturday, it put out another release, this time relating to a new qualifying format to come into effect as from the start of next season. There will still be two sessions, one on Saturday afternoon and another on race morning. The running order for the first session will be the reverse of the current situation, with the winner of the previous race going out last. After this session, the cars will go into Parc Ferme as usual and then, for the second session, cars must carry the fuel load with which they will start the race. The major difference is that grid positions will be decided by aggregating a driver’s times from both sessions.

Team owners and Bernie Ecclestone had several meetings in Brazil, with cost cutting measures the main item on the agenda. On Saturday evening, all the teams with the exception of Ferrari, signed a document that included a variety of proposals, including reducing testing to ten days only during the season, a two day Grand Prix weekend, with four hours of testing allowed at the Grand Prix venue on the Friday prior to the race. The cost cutting measures would be balanced against an agreement to run more races, thus safeguarding the French and British events that are currently under threat for 2005.

On the subject of new Grand Prix venues, Bernie Ecclestone recently visited Mexico, which last hosted an F1 race back in 1992 in Mexico City. Apparently, there are now plans to build a new circuit and stage a Grand Prix in the holiday resort of Cancun.

With the announcement that the Contracts Recognition Board has ruled in favour of the BAR team, meaning that Jenson Button stays at his present team for 2005, a drive with Williams alongside Mark Webber is now up for grabs again. The names of Antonio Pizzonia, Anthony Davidson and David Coulthard are all in the frame.

With F1 engines now having to last for two Grand Prix weekends, Toyota has said it will consider supplying an additional team with its engines for 2005. The Jordan team is thought to be the most likely recipient of the Japanese power plants. As part of the deal, Jordan would run Toyota’s test driver Ryan Briscoe as part of its driver line-up.

Press Release
    West
    Hakkinen linked to vacant Williams seat
    Four drivers now in the running...

The Hakkinen to return rumours keep coming

Mika Hakkinen is believed to be one of four drivers vying for the second BMW Williams race seat alongside Mark Webber next season. The former McLaren champion, who recently tested a Mercedes DTM touring car (pictured), has been out of Formula One since retiring at the end of the 2001 season.

According to Patrick Head, it would be a risk to sign Hakkinen, but he also pointed out that Hakkinen has twice beaten Michael Schumacher. Speaking to Magazine last month, Hakkinen stated that he was no longer after a drive in Formula One after coming close to a deal with BAR Honda. However, that was before the BMW Williams seat became available, officially.

Current BMW Williams test driver Antonio Pizzonia is favourite to race for the team next year, but BMW are said to be keen on the services of driver Nick Heidfeld who as a German, would be an important marketing tool on home soil.

David Coulthard has also been linked to the team, but to hire the man McLaren dropped after poaching their driver (Montoya) would be an odd move. Coulthard however believes he has the experience to lead a team like Williams.

The team will test Mark Webber next month and following the test; will decide which drivers they expect to test prior to the Christmas break. The team are in no hurry to make an announcement and it could be that the four hopefuls have to wait until the next year to find out who will drive for the team next season.

E.A.
    Source J-P.K / Autosport
    Last edited by LUD02C; 28-10-2004 at 08:32 PM.

I'd much rather Pizzonia than Mika
    WDM. World Domestic Market.

Subaru y0!

Quote Originally Posted by jackosimm
    I'd much rather Pizzonia than Mika
    Your kidding aren't you?
    Why would you want that?
    Mika Vs Michael again would be great!

Member Array
    Car:
    S15
    Yeh! Bring back Mika!

The British and French Grand Prix look to have been saved after every Formula One team apart from Ferrari agreed on Tuesday to cut testing by 50 percent according to Autosport magazine's website.

The teams agreed to bear the cost of two extra races in a collective agreement while Ferrari, who oppose a cut in testing, were absent from the meeting.

"We've not got a contract with Silverstone yet, but I would be shattered and disappointed if we didn't get a deal," said Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone, who met with the teams to hammer out the details.

McLaren chief Ron Dennis certainly thought that the deal meant both the races could go ahead. "We believe an agreement was reached that removes any obvious obstacle for the British and French GPs to take place," he said.

The teams shell out three million pounds for each race but decided they could put up with 19 races next season and felt it was better to cut expenses by reducing testing.

Ecclestone was more upbeat about Ferrari joining the rest of their rivals in agreeing to the compromise. "It's wrong to say that Ferrari have been excluded," said Ecclestone. "I think they will come along. It's positive news for a change."

The British Grand Prix had been in danger because of a financial dispute between Silverstone's owners, the British Racing Drivers' Club, and Ecclestone, who has had his run-ins with them in the past. The two parties would still have to agree a deal for the race to regain its place on the calendar for 2005.

"The BRDC has not yet been officially informed of any proposal by FOM [Formula One Management]," the BRDC said in a statement. "But if there is a new proposal to safeguard the British Grand Prix in 2005 which makes financial sense for the sport, the industry, the club and especially the local economy, it will be seriously considered by the board."

Source AFP

Juan Pablo Montoya is heading for a new challenge at McLaren Mercedes in 2005 but before turning the page, the popular Colombian driver talks about the four years he spent at Williams.

Juan Pablo, you’ve not only finished the 2004 season but also your time with the BMW WilliamsF1 Team in style. What was running through your head when you crossed the finish line at Sao Paulo?
    Aaagh, my neck hurts! Actually I was so pleased I was punching the air.

Had you expected to be that competitive before the season finale?
    We knew we could be competitive in Brazil as the set up is so important, and we really wanted to finish on a high.

What does this victory - especially in front of your South American fans - mean to you?
    I wanted to win so badly in Brazil, to sign off in style at my 'home' Grand Prix and to give the team a win.

The 2004 season didn't bring the desired results. Does this win compensate for the disappointments in other races?
    I am glad we were able to win in Brazil, it is just a shame we did not have more to cheer about during the season.

Critics claimed that you were not motivated in the final stages of the season. Is it a nice feeling to have been able to prove them wrong with the race win in Brazil?
    I have been pleased with my driving this season. There have been some good races but they have been in the mid-field and therefore did not get much exposure on TV.

As you look back, what have the past four years been like?
    There have been ups and downs, as you would expect. I still enjoy the company of the guys working on my car and back at the factory.

What have been the highlights of your career with the team?
    All of my wins and fastest laps! Working well as a team and getting into a position to challenge for the Championship last season was special.

You entered F1 as a CART champion and Indy 500 winner. In what way did the team help you to make the change to Formula One?
    They are a very experienced, professional team and have a strong structure, which helped in the early days.

What impressed you most when you entered Formula One?
    The braking and speed into corners.

There are millions of BMW WilliamsF1 Team fans all over the world. Would you like to thank them for their support over the past years?
    I will take away a lot of good memories from being part of the BMW WilliamsF1 Team family, I hope they have enjoyed it as much as I have and wish them all the best for the future.

Source BMW WilliamsF1 Team

A1 Grand Prix series founder, His Highness Sheikh Maktoum Hasher Maktoum Al Maktoum, met with the former President of South Africa, Nelson Mandela, during last week’s launch and first track test of South Africa’s entry into the A1 Grand Prix Championship.

He was joined by fellow A1 Grand Prix Board Members Brian Menell, Tony Teixera and Richard Dorfman. Nelson Mandela spoke about his 'joy' of seeing a South African entry into the World Cup of Motorsport and fully endorsed and supported the concept of a South African driver and team being able to compete on a level playing field against other nations.

“It was a real honour to meet with one of the world’s true iconic and historic figureheads," Sheikh Maktoum said. "His support for our championship and acceptance of our level playing field ideals is an endearing stamp of approval from such a symbolic person, which I humbly acknowledge.”

“The support of the A1 Grand Prix Championship shown to us this week by prominent dignitaries such as Nelson Mandela, President Thabo Mbeki and South Africa’s seat holder, Tokyo Sexwale, shows the levels of interest and backing our Championship now has, and I hope to receive similar support from other nations when their teams are launched in the months ahead.”

Nelson Mandela’s enthusiasm was shared by over 25,000 South African motorsport fans, who were able to see the car in action at the Kyalami race track near Johannesburg driven by South African, Alan van der Merwe.

After completing the demonstration laps round the 4.2 kilometre circuit. “It was incredible to drive this car in my own country and see the support from the fans," said Alan van der Merwe. "I am very impressed with what the car is capable of, especially in terms of power and downforce, and this is despite not being set up specifically for Kyalami. For me the chance to drive the car in the series would be amazing.”

A1 Grand Prix webpage

Also Mika has signed to drive in the DTM series next year!
    For Mercedes of course!!!

love all these updates! thanks for the info jason! keep it up

Subaru y0!

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2
    sauber switch from bridgestone to michelins, claiming that B/S do all the development for ferrari at the expense of other teams

Quote Originally Posted by 7th Gen
    sauber switch from bridgestone to michelins, claiming that B/S do all the development for ferrari at the expense of other teams
    lol could see this coming...

Subaru y0!