Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I wonder how many Hamsters are in my DC5R???

oh btw, there really is such thing as a hamster driven car. Some dude had a bunch of these hamsters running in a cage driving an electric motor. The electricity generated by these hamsters were driving an electric motors at the wheels of this car, and presto: u have a hamster powered car...

Newcomer Array
    Quote Originally Posted by crx_16x
    Power = torque times by rpm.

therefore

revolutions is the only replacement for displacement.
    nicely worded.

Hondas are known to be,

Hiroshima screamers...

HONDA:
    History Of No Dramatic Acceleration.

--> I guess the above sums up my car in its entirety.

Setanta your right about the ZC being undersquare the d16a8,
    (zc in a different guise) had a bore/stroke of 75/90.
    This will normally make engines sluggers and not revvers.
    I would like to see what my d16a8 would be like with a c/r of around 11 or so :twisted: ........

Turbo is one way to make more power it does so by making more torque. In theory increasing the displacement of the engine by compressing more air into the combustion cycle.....
    instead of increasing the rpm of the engine the turbo creates more torque.
    more torque more power....................... (i think!!) :P

Anyway the answer to the question,
    "Why do honda's rev so high?" is simple.
    To make power. To make power you either need to increase the rpm of the engine or increase the torque of the engine.

Correct me if i am worng...
    James.

Member Array
    Car:
    BLZ-ARW021
    simple...becuase it's a Hondah!!!

theres a few reasons for this, mainly bore and stroke

you'll find that smaller capacity engines use a larger bore : stroke ratio. in cases of the Honda engines, the stroke is rlatively small by comparison to rival engines, to counter this it has a larger bore. bore being the surface area of piston head.

cars with a larger stroke travel more per revolution, thus giving them more power down low, however are unable to match this at higher rpm where each revolution travels further and thus takes more time and energy. by lowering the stroke the trade off is less torque, but an ability for the engine to rev harder further up the redline as instead of long throws of the crank, your now getting short quick throws. obviously this benefits a variably timed cam valve system, where if the cams operated at full potential down low, the car would suffocate on the extra air and would not cumbust correctly, meaning less power or complete engine stall. so full combustion of the air at high revs suits variably timed engine with a larger bore and smaller stroke

also Honda VTEC engines are usually mostly hand made, thus alloying them to build them with more accuracy then a machine. cars are built with certain tolerances from the manufacturer, by limiting the amount of tolerance outside the manufacturing process, you are maximising the engines potential by eliminating the loss of power brought on thru kinetic engergy lost through friction, drag or any other resistant forces

another interesting fact is the the type r ports are actually hand finished and the heads are assembled by hand before going into the car!

no other mass produced car offers this!

Member Array
    Car:
    EVO7
    love my civ, Kills anythig off d MARk!!

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    Honda made a F1 engine in late 1965 that reved to 12,000 prm, 1.5l V12 engine ( RA 272E ) producing 230 ps @ 12,000 outclassing many rivals of the time.

in 1962 they released a 492cc engine in the S500 producing over 40 ps @8000 rpm and the never to be released s700 pumped 72 ps @ 9500 rpm from a 682cc dohc
    I guess there small engines revving high, but there competitors then could not match
    Honda with same capacity engines

honda have always been known for there high reving smooth engines

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Tofu
    HONDA stands for

Hold
    On!
    Not yet
    Done
    Accelerating...

sorry dude from clubrsx.com
    took ya material...
    it's without the yet!
    and apology not accepted lol..
    Honda B series

Banned Array
    Car:
    Gen3 CRX
    Historically it seems, Honda has been in persuit of economical, small displacement engines, and only recently have they ventured into the 2.0L + class.

It is known fact, Horsepower is proportional to rpm and as per crx-16's explanation of Power = Fxacc,then it stands to reason the higher the rpm, the more Power ANY motor will make.

It appears Honda have chosen this route of small displacement engines & high rpm motors to couple their relatively small cars of the past.

As an aside note, the reason why these rpm's are attainable is due to 2 factors.
    Bearing quality & Rod length. Honda factory bearings are of such great quality, that other non-honda hot-rod enthusiasts commonly machine their cranks & block journals to suit honda bearings. Wear properties on these pieces is simply awesome.

Secondly, Rod length as most of you know also dictates not only piston position, however by way of forst & second order differenciating also dictates piston speed & position. Attached is a utility I put together to highlight this phenomenon. Hence we have a situation of long rods = lower piston velocity/acceleration at any point over time, compared to a motor with a smaller rod length.
    Typically Honda has chosen most of its engine combinations in this manner.
    Take for example the B16B motor. The Rod used in this block is (from memory) is around 139mm, A R/S ratio of 1.8, larger than any other B-series motor, and we all know how high this monster can rev.

Cheers
    ProECU
    Last edited by ProECU; 31-08-2004 at 09:21 AM.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    May I ask where that data is from and how it was taken?

Thanks!
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Banned Array
    Car:
    Gen3 CRX
    I derived the data from mathematical & physical formulas based on circular motion.