Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CTR Question

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...

CTR Question

As some of you's know, a friend of mine decided to put into his EM1 B16A the following...

- I/H/E
    - CTR CAMS
    -CTR VALVE SPRINGS (on exhaust side only)
    -CTR VALVES
    -SHOTPEEN/polished b16ARODS
    - CTR PISTONS (OEM SIZE)
    -Greddy Emanage

now in my own opinion i thoght the BEST he could hope for getting these expensive mods was that his car would be as fast as a EK9...

note thatthe headers were from the dc2r (which i think ar ethe same to EK9 headers) and exhaust was upgraded to 2 inches (same as ek9) so the only thing about this car that is "better" than a true ek9 is intake mod. (thats discounting the differences in head flow, etc etc, but know wot i mean... in terms of fundamental parts the 2 engines now should be about equal)

but surprisingly he spat out 99.8 kw at a dyno during his road trip (one slack foundation uni student he is) to sydney yesterday.

i thought 100kw at wheels was for a dc2r, which does aroudn 145 at engine.

So by spitting out 99.8, doesnt that mean he's actaully gone faster than the Ek9?!?! hwo could this be when the only thing over a stock ek9 he has is an CAI? and thats excluding the fact that the b16B has better flow design/headwork/etc etc

So wot went wrong? is it a lying/exageratting dyno (no i dont knwo the shop name)? i knew another guy who had ek4 who did similar mods and only got 89kw or something reading, but the dyno owner also claimedi n thta case that the car was pulling out more power than a b16B

I'm kinda confused as i thoght by combining b16A/B parts the best result u could hope for was a b16B and no better?

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by **Ghost**
    So wot went wrong?
    You're thinking too much...
    TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
    TODA Racing - FIGHTEX - MFactory - HALTECH - EXEDY
    Race engines, Dyno tuning, Licenced workshop, Parts.
    P:0401869524 email: toda@todaracing.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    clarify???

I mean how could a b16A with b16B parts and intake be possibly more powerful than a b16b?

I was equipped by Mugen Array
    Car:
    Lexus Soarer V8 GTLimited
    **Ghost**
    Did you dyno the car before the mods went in ?

once again you cant compare two different dynoes.
    I had my car run on the same dyno so too did a friends old Type R Integra, same operators, same type of day but a month apart. I got 152hp, he got 139.
    see my point.

Honda resource for enthusiasts with all the latest news from Honda, downloads, media, photo albums, technical information and lots more!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    hmmm yes... and it wasnt my car though i wish it was : )

but tell me mate, am i right in presuming that if u put CTR parts in a b16a, the best u'll get is jibby b16B performance? theres no inherent gain to be made beyond the b16b performance figure right?

would it be the same case as if i put ITR pistons in a b16A?

Car:
    Personally i cant answer that question. But from what i hear, if you put B16B parts in a B16A (both head and block) you will have a compression ratio of around 12.1 as compared to 10.8 of the B16B and hence more power. But dont quote me on this as this needs to be confirmed.

cheers

Honda resource for enthusiasts with all the latest news from Honda, downloads, media, photo albums, technical information and lots more!

I've said it b4 and I'll say it again..... PCTs in a B16A block is not 10.8:1 compression like people think. It is in the low to mid 11:1 if block and head have not been messed with (ie. shaved) & running OEM thickness gasket.

But what do I know, I'm not an engine builder so my word is not worth a damn.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    sigh... can we have an engine builder pls?

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r
    u forget that there's a emanage .. it's probably *tuned* to some degree, thus mroe power delivery, however, comparing fuel economy, will prob lose to a b16b

Member Array
    Car:
    EK9
    dude, he got E-manage...

Car:
    Speedcore, I was saying the stock compression of a B16B is 10.8. thats all.
    whereas the B16A2 (audm spec) is 10.2 JDM spec B16A is 10.4:1

Quote Originally Posted by Civic Type R
    Speedcore, I was saying the stock compression of a B16B is 10.8. thats all.
    whereas the B16A2 (audm spec) is 10.2 JDM spec B16A is 10.4:1
    Well duh man! I know you where

I was not makeing reference to your post, I was mearly trying to say that compression figures is what might be the cause of such power.....

So make like Da Fonz and be cool brother.......
    Aaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy