Honda City hammered in review

A not so glowing review of the City

http://autospeed.com.au/cms/A_111112/article.html

Member Array
    Car:
    CRV MY07
    More comments and reviews
    http://www.carsales.com.au/reviews/2...onda-city-7142
    This was before the City had it's price confirmed. In Thailand, the City undercuts the Jazz in price. According to Autospeed, the City in Australia is matching with the Civic...

http://www.caradvice.com.au/24490/20...iew-road-test/
    A much more gentler review (4 out of 5 steering wheels). Again - pricing was an issue and general interior comfort.

http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/ne...ve_honda_city/
    Test drove in Thailand in October 2008. The comparisons with the City is against Yaris, Barina, Tiida.

It seems that Honda has goofed up with it's target market audience. If the City is supposed to replace the Jazz and go up against the Yaris, Accent, Mazda2 and Barina, then it's got a problem with pricing.
    If it is supposed to go up against the Corolla, Civic, Mazda3 and so on, then it's got a problem with engine size, power delivery and value for money.

Worse still, the City is priced against the Jazz or Civic, it could well be the case where the City won't be taking any market share away from other maufacturers but itself - ie. A person laying money down on a Honda will pick between the Jazz, Civic or City. (A bit like Toyota with the Camry/Aurion series).

Simply put, get rid of the Jazz and price the City the same as the Jazz.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    I don't blame the reviewers. Honda Australia must be smoking crack to price the City at the same level as the Civic. I know which one I would pick.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

I think I'd say the City's in the market to vs the Corolla more than that of the Yaris and Jazz...

I have to agree that the pricing's a fair bit off but, each to their own I guess. I personally chose to purchase the City based on the cosmetic view of the car... that and it's possibility to be transformed into something beastly in the future (have you seen how much space is in the engine bay??!!? SR20 - maybe Baby Lol...)

The interesting thing about it all is that, when talking about fuel consumption (re: AutoSpeed), I'm currently driving a new Honda Civic Hybrid, and after doing over 600kms, with approx 400kms at 110km/hr on the highway, the fuel consumption's at 6.8L/100km (at best) when it's touted at being 4.6L/100km... to that extent it's more about how the individual driver handles the car.
    Ditto that for the lumber (seat) support - height and overall posture of the person driving would determine comfort.. guess I'm lucky I'm pretty small then. Lol..

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by AznEmpress View Post
    The interesting thing about it all is that, when talking about fuel consumption (re: AutoSpeed), I'm currently driving a new Honda Civic Hybrid, and after doing over 600kms, with approx 400kms at 110km/hr on the highway, the fuel consumption's at 6.8L/100km (at best) when it's touted at being 4.6L/100km... to that extent it's more about how the individual driver handles the car.
    Hybrids get their low fuel consumption from city driving. When you do highway driving, then fuel consumption is the same as a regular petrol engine car.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Hybrids get their low fuel consumption from city driving. When you do highway driving, then fuel consumption is the same as a regular petrol engine car.
    Lol.. well then that's even worse - it was hitting 7.9L/100km driving on our standard streets... which, in hindsight, makes it worse than a 1.8L car??

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Lol.. well then that's even worse - it was hitting 7.9L/100km driving on our standard streets... which, in hindsight, makes it worse than a 1.8L car??
    That's better than an auto transmission 1.8L car. You have to use light to medium throttle so that you use the electric motors to take off, and then rely on the petrol engine only for cruising. So you're right in that driving habits affect it greatly because if you use aybe even 1/2 throttle when taking off, you could be engaging the petrol engine and not the electric motor.

Member Array
    Car:
    CRV MY07
    I don't blame the reviewers. Honda Australia must be smoking crack to price the City at the same level as the Civic. I know which one I would pick.
    A Toyota Vios?

You have to use light to medium throttle so that you use the electric motors to take off, and then rely on the petrol engine only for cruising.
    The main catch to the Hybrid is that there's a time lapse due to the 'auto stop' function in the engine... I'm 'heavy footed' by nature so... 'normal' cars aren't really for me. Hence my thoughts already of an EC. Lol...

Member Array
    Car:
    CRV MY07
    I think I'd say the City's in the market to vs the Corolla more than that of the Yaris and Jazz...
    In Malaysia and Singapore, the Honda City is up against the Toyota Vios.
    A bit like Jazz vs Yaris or Civic vs Corolla. The problem is City vs What??

The problem is that the City fits between the Jazz and Civic - which is the proverbial "in between two seats" on price, size and features.

Member Array
    Car:
    CRV MY07
    Wandering off the topic of Honday City reviews...

Bear in mind that the Civic Hybrid, the electric motor is to assist the petrol motor. The Toyota Prius, the electric motor can run without the petrol motor. The specs of the electric motor on the Prius is almost as powerful as the petrol motor - that's why the car costs significantly more.

Quote Originally Posted by yorrick View Post
    Bear in mind that the Civic Hybrid, the electric motor is to assist the petrol motor. The Toyota Prius, the electric motor can run without the petrol motor. The specs of the electric motor on the Prius is almost as powerful as the petrol motor - that's why the car costs significantly more.
    Yea, it's like a $5k difference off the mark (plus on-roads, et al), but I really can't see how the electric 'assistance' assists what-so-ever in the Honda Civic Hybrid... apart from the lag time (see previous post). Then again, maybe that's just me

Lol... had my hands on a Prius before, it's really not that nice to drive... tho, I AM talking about when it first came out...