Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2009 City VTI-L Auto
    I just thought i would mention that advertised fuel consumptions can never be matched, as those figures were achieved under controlled and test conditions. i.e. probably hours and days around a race track. lol. but the city is excellent with fuel consumption.
    Fuel consumption will get better, past the 6000km mark too. As the engine is still adjusting until that time.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2009 City VTI-L Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by yorrick View Post
    This would be almost "expected" given the following
    Kerb weight: City = 1,110kg vs Mazda3 = 1,230kg (extra 100kg)
    Engine capacity: City = 1.5L vs Mazda3 = 2.0L (engine capacity would mean more fuel consumption)

I am surprised you could say that the Mazda3 would cost substantially more in fuel cost. If you drove very, very actively on a Mazda3, you'd be doing around 10-11L/100km - which would equate to an extra $3-$4 per 100km driven.

Then again, the Mazda3 is much more fun car to drive...
    Interesting to see how much this new gen Mazda 3 will be priced at!??! U know that was my only other option when considering the City, cos i wanted a "new model" car, and the fockers told me that it would be released mid year!, and now its april wtf?!?!?!?! still City is my homeboy...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    01 crv n 06 jazz
    just off topic a bit the all new mazda 3 is in next month.
    dunno what's wrong with the Honda dealer. they just put every price up for such economic environment ?? may be as suggest by someone here b4 the must be smoking crack in the office.
    dun say city is bad but honda australia is the one to blame.wrong choice n wrong price.
    BTW i love honda's car

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge_City View Post
    I just thought i would mention that advertised fuel consumptions can never be matched, as those figures were achieved under controlled and test conditions. i.e. probably hours and days around a race track. lol. but the city is excellent with fuel consumption.
    Fuel consumption will get better, past the 6000km mark too. As the engine is still adjusting until that time.
    My car has an advertised 9.4L/100km. I get that with my daily commute to work which is 10 minutes freeway and 20 minutes suburb (60km/h limit and 2 school zones)
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by yorrick View Post
    This would be almost "expected" given the following
    Kerb weight: City = 1,110kg vs Mazda3 = 1,230kg (extra 100kg)
    Engine capacity: City = 1.5L vs Mazda3 = 2.0L (engine capacity would mean more fuel consumption)

I am surprised you could say that the Mazda3 would cost substantially more in fuel cost. If you drove very, very actively on a Mazda3, you'd be doing around 10-11L/100km - which would equate to an extra $3-$4 per 100km driven.

Then again, the Mazda3 is much more fun car to drive...
    What about the Accord Euro (CL9 version)?
    Base model weighs 1395kg, and has a 2.4L engine. Yet I get 9.4L/100km combined fuel consumption (run to redline 7000rpm twice a day). In pure city driving, I get 10.5L/100km (redline twice a day) and pure freeway I get 7.0L/100km (over 800km with 2-3 times running to redline).

You can't generalise fuel consumption solely on engine capacity. You have engine efficiency, driving style and also gear ratios which affect the fuel consumption.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    CRV MY07
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    What about the Accord Euro (CL9 version)?
    Base model weighs 1395kg, and has a 2.4L engine. Yet I get 9.4L/100km combined fuel consumption (run to redline 7000rpm twice a day). In pure city driving, I get 10.5L/100km (redline twice a day) and pure freeway I get 7.0L/100km (over 800km with 2-3 times running to redline).

You can't generalise fuel consumption solely on engine capacity. You have engine efficiency, driving style and also gear ratios which affect the fuel consumption.

I don't dispute the fuel efficiency of some cars over others. The discussion at hand was comparing an active driving of a Honda City versus Mazda3. I often get 9L/100km when I had the SP23 and seen consumption of 10-11L/100km when driven hard.

But the original poster stated that they had a 2.0L Mazda3 and the cost of fuel was "significantly higher" implying that it was up to 50% more in consumption compared to the Honda City.

Member Array
    Car:
    CRV MY07
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge_City View Post
    Interesting to see how much this new gen Mazda 3 will be priced at!??! U know that was my only other option when considering the City, cos i wanted a "new model" car, and the fockers told me that it would be released mid year!, and now its april wtf?!?!?!?! still City is my homeboy...
    The reason why the new Mazda3 is being released in April and not June is that they were selling so quickly that the old model stock ran out faster than expected. Haven't you noticed the biggest selling small vehicles lately? Mazda3 and Corolla have been #1 and #2 in the market (and Mazda3 outsold Commodores and Falcons in January 2009 ... if I recall correctly.)

The new Mazda3 prices have come out and they are very similar to the old series. I suppose they learnt from the Mazda6 debacle where they tried to jack up the prices by $2K to $3K across the models. Sales plummeted like an economic meltdown...
    Details of new prices here ... http://www.mazda.com.au/Models/Curre...a3/Prices.aspx

Saw a Honda City today and all I can say is that it's appeal rivals the Corolla which can be best described as "whitegoods on wheels". Almost looked like a Vios...
    Last edited by yorrick; 03-04-2009 at 09:25 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    accord
    Shame about the new mazda 3, you can really see the Peugeot influence.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda City09 VTI-L Auto
    i think the new mazda 3 is goregeous! Very decently priced too! I could have just afforded it... but i know i would have regretted getting it vs the city.

Yorrick your talking about fuel consumption from a technical perspective, taking into consideration weight etc.. in terms of overall price i pay at the bowser... the city would win hands down.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda City09 VTI-L Auto
    That is substantially more! especially if you're my partner who drives 500+kms a week (work (carlingford), uni (north ryde), soccer training(homebush or city)/soccer games (could range from central coast to sydney city to anywhere in syd), my house (****), his house (dural)) thats averaging 15-20 bucks more that you would pay in the bowser a week. Equating to more than $780-$1040 a year... which you could use for a holiday overseas.

Member Array
    Car:
    CRV MY07
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegirl View Post
    i think the new mazda 3 is goregeous! Very decently priced too! I could have just afforded it... but i know i would have regretted getting it vs the city.

Yorrick your talking about fuel consumption from a technical perspective, taking into consideration weight etc.. in terms of overall price i pay at the bowser... the city would win hands down.

The addage is true - you won't buy it if you can't afford it.
    Mazda3 is a bit more expensive and the day to day cost is a bit more. But it's a hell of a lot more fun to drive than many other cars and looks good - that's why it sells!

Then again, we wouldn't be comparing the BMW X6 to a Audi Q5 given that it would easily buy 4-5 Citys...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda City09 VTI-L Auto
    seeing as both of them were in my price range ... i did compare the two of them and rightly so i say