Thread: stock shocks

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Rice-box

stock shocks

Who runs lowered springs on oem shock? How quick does riding low eat away at your shocks?

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic EK
    it eats it away very quick just get proper shocks save u haveing to take apart the suspension and re do it

i have done 10,000km on kings lows/stock shocks car has 180k+
    if they last for another 1-2 years i'll be happy..after that might get koni shocks.

what would be the first signs of shocks wearing out? bouncy or stiff ride?
    do shocks blow without warning or do they just gradually get worse?

leeman,
    How long is a piece of string? In this case there would be a number of strings:

How worn are the dampers already?
    Regardless of rate, are the dampers good quality or rubbish?
    How much stiffer than stock are the lowering springs?
    Is the damper bottoming out a lot more than it should?
    How bumpy are the roads on which the car is driven?

Quote Originally Posted by migoreng View Post
    if they last for another 1-2 years i'll be happy..after that might get koni shocks.
    And then you'll be much happier. My advice would be to buy Konis as soon as you can afford to, don't wait (you won't regret it).

Quote Originally Posted by migoreng View Post
    what would be the first signs of shocks wearing out? bouncy or stiff ride?
    do shocks blow without warning or do they just gradually get worse?
    First signs of wear would typically be that the car starts to feel 'wallowy' over uneven surfaces, in change of direction, and braking. It then gets progressively worse. This is more likely than "blowing without warning", though I'm sure that can happen (but I'd think this more indicative of the damper having broken rather than wearing out).

Member Array
    Car:
    96 EK Civic GLi
    are there any lowering springs that arent so bad for the stock shocks as others?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    Quote Originally Posted by Huggyb View Post
    are there any lowering springs that arent so bad for the stock shocks as others?
    The ones that lower less and have softer spring rates .

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Rice-box
    How stiff would konis be?

More bumby ride?

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic EK
    koni are adjustable you can have a hard ride or a soft ride which is like OEM shocks
    ther awesoem i got them in my car

it all depends on how low your springs are and the spring rate. The lower and stiffer the springs are the more it will eat into your shocks.

how low did the springs lower your car? anything more then 5cms the life-spand of ur shock is pretty much halved. and aftermarket springs such as konis' or even pedders are a must.

at the end of the day jus buy coilovers. cost pretty much the same.

It really depends on your tolerance to bad handling. You could drive around with blown shocks if you want, you'll just have to drive really slow and concentrate on driving.

I have stock shocks and king super low's on one of my tegs and it's not very well damped at all. Speed bumps make the lack of rebound damping very obvious, and turn-in is pathetic thanks to the progressive springs.

Koni Yellows on the other hand. Brilliant damper. They make me very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    koni are adjustable you can have a hard ride or a soft ride which is like OEM shocks
    ther awesoem i got them in my car
    Konis are stiffer than the stock dampers in both bump and rebound (and much much stiffer in rebound when adjusted that way). Even on a softer setting Konis will give a firmer ride even on the soft stock springs (springs don't transmit as much 'shock' to the chassis as dampers do, it's typically the damper rate more then the spring rate that makes a suspension feel harsher).

Having said that, the Koni ride is firm but not harsh at the softer end of the rebound setting (Konis only adjust for rebound rate). They are pretty awesome dampers...

Quote Originally Posted by dc5.taiger View Post
    at the end of the day jus buy coilovers. cost pretty much the same.
    But, the dampers that are incorporated into typical aftermarket 'coilovers' are not a patch on Konis, and the damper is the foundation of a good suspension set up.

There is a reason why you can purchase the springs and dampers (that comprise a coilover) for similar money to just the Koni dampers on their own...

Note also that Konis are renowned for exceptional longevity, which can't be said for a lot of other dampers (including those in typical 'coilovers', especially the less expensive variety...).