Fact or Fiction?: Mixing Brands

hey ii was jus wonderin wat u guys think..

ive heard from different ppl that sometimes if u mix different brands of audio gear (assuming they are higher than average quaility) it sounds crap compared to having audio gear from 1 manufacturer. For example.. ive heard some1 say that their friends system which has JL audio components and an alpine type r sub sounds crappy.

and i know that audio is based on personal preference but i just wanted to know if this was fact or fiction?

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Accord VTI-S
    i think it's crap.. but like you said, it's 'personal preference'..

i fink depends on the brands.. and quality and also wat your want from your system. SPL or SQ.

im buying my first system.. and im mixing brands. ands freaken awesome.. also i fink ish alot to do with your budget. so yeh... talk to someone with professional skills! and get some advice cuz alot of people talk crap and really dont know wat there talking about (maybe even me hahahaha)

Marty is heaps cool man! so yeh.. he can help you out on advice and gear!fhrx!

Member Array
    Car:
    ED gl saloon
    mate i have boston 6" and a pioneer h/u and a rockford f/g amp and rockford f/g subs they all sound awesome together...

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    load of bollocks. Each manufacturer has strengths and weaknesses, so almost all single brand systems can be improved by adding components from other manufacturers

Just because one mixed system sounds crap doenst mean that all do...especially since the install has so much to do with everything

Member Array
    Car:
    VIP Nissan Cima
    To expand further on what Poid said, each manufacturer has their strengths & weaknesses. Some companies will concentrate on one particular component (e.g. stinger speaker wires), and consequently they will be better at that component than a company that tries to make every component. Picking the best components from each manufacturer will give you the best stereo in the end.

Member Array
    Car:
    S15
    thats absolute bullshit! It is quite the opposite, as previously said. 1 branded systems can be improved vastly by different brnded components.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTi-R Hatch
    Its total BS as stated above. Some manufacturers make good amps - but shitty speakers, while others make good subs. If you can afford it - shop around to get the best brands in each respective field.

I'll jump on the 'it's total rubbish' bandwagon too.

For example when building a car, you use things like Barry Grant regulators, Davis Craig fans, Auto meter gauges, HKS turbo, Trust exhuast, Motec EMC, Optima battery etc.

Never build a system using one brand just for the name sake.