broken back seat release knob on DC2

My 96' Integra VTi-R has a broken rear bench release knob on the driver's side. It's the little knob on the top of the rear bench that you pull to fold down the back seat for more luggage space.

It's been broken since I bought the car, and I can't fold the driver side rear bench down! I think it probably broke when a previous owner tried hanging shopping bags on the knob.

I tried levering the latch where it clips, but it won't budge. it's locked and can only be disengaged by pulling up on the knob, but it's broken so far down the shaft that I can't even get pliers into the hole pull at it.

Anyone knows how to get the whole mechanism out?

thanks!

Member Array
    Car:
    A Honda
    So that little knob that pulls up to fold the seats down right?

Tried pliers to pull the piston up? Or just source out a knob from someone wrecking an integra.

Have you tried unlatching it from the boot? Try prying the lock from the latch.
    You should be able to see the latch and lock and just try unhooking it from there. Take the parcel shelf off first.

Quote Originally Posted by F.O.B Squad View Post
    So that little knob that pulls up to fold the seats down right?

Tried pliers to pull the piston up? Or just source out a knob from someone wrecking an integra.

Have you tried unlatching it from the boot? Try prying the lock from the latch.
    You should be able to see the latch and lock and just try unhooking it from there. Take the parcel shelf off first.
    yes that's the knob!

a) I tried pliers from the top. Don't work because there's no space inside the hole to get any grip with needle nose pliers.

b) It won't unlatch from behind the boot either when I pry the catch with a flat blade screwdriver. It appears that there's a safety mechanism in there that doesn't allow the seat to be unlatched from the hook.

c) I can't even get the remnants of the old knob off because of the way it was broken. See pic:
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2/DSCN5333.jpg

hey mate this happened to me aswell. now what i did was get something to dig into it on one side and use that point to push the knob around to get it off as the knob twists off (anti clockwise?). once youve done that go to the wreckers and get another one.

hope that helps

Member Array
    Car:
    A Honda
    Ok try this;

Using a pointed piece; this is just an example of what you could use. First try getting your hands on a set of these mini long nose pliers and try using that.
    If you can't get these pliers or they dont work then try whats stated in the other pic.
    You'll need a really fine drill bit also.

Once, you turned enough of the broken piece of plastic then try doing the rest with long nose pliers or your fingers.

Member Array
    Car:
    96" VTIR Civic
    just pull the surounding piece of plactic off it has 4 lil clips and you may break one

once it's off you should be able to get pliers onto the broken bit and turn it off

the just go to honda and order new pieces
    R.F.F.R

awesome. Thanks for the replies guys! I'll try it out.

Update: I knocked a small hole in the side of the broken bit and unscrewed it. There was a lot of length still on the part below the hole , so I turned the half knob bit upside down and screwed it back in to get it usable. It looks ghetto but gets by until I can get to the wreckers to find an unbroken one!
    Last edited by dinorider; 13-04-2009 at 08:33 PM.