Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The 09 Odyssey

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    08 Odyssey Lux Basque Red
    Yep - finally got to have a look thru the new Ody over the weekend. They seemed to have changed a lot of things for change's sake rather than for a good reason.
    Really don't like the IKEA coloured timber trim.

So all in all - meh!

Older model looked better, cleaner lines without body kit, dark leather as option, and more user friendly middle row (fit 3 on it better than new model which has shocking fold down drink holder). Only advantage in new car is update on some of features (stability control, lap sash middle seat middle row seat belt, maybe little bit more leg room in 3rd row).

Member Array
    Car:
    ek civic
    i hate wat they did with the stereo its like they forgot bout it in design and just slapped it in there last min. also the radio face is a little had to see wen the sun is in the cabin

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Yeah you're right Tom, its really a 2+2+2 now, with occasional 7 up use around town.

As for the plusses:

Stability control - hmm, not sure its a great plus. You'd be doing pretty well to get the Ody out of shape (in a way that SC could help)

Lap sash - agreed, a big plus but should have always been there...but then the middle isnt shaped as a 3 seater any way

3rd row - didn't try it out. My seat is front right so.... pft!

As for the stereo, its awful. I assume it's now easier to throw in a 2 DIN aftermarket unit with navi? But don't get a touch screen (or if you do get a 30cm ruler and sharpen one end)

Have put in an order for the Odyssey, despite all the issues I have with it. It currently is the best fit for my family unless we choose cx-9 or larger people mover Tarago/etc (wife not interested, they are bigger vehicles, in some cases much more expensive, and often much less fuel efficient which will become a bigger problem as fuel prices increase).

We get it in about 4 weeks.

We have optioned reverse park sensors.

(1) From driver's seat cannot see bonnet/front of car. Would you get front park sensors? They are not a factory option, but may be able to get after mkt?
    (2) Would you get a tow bar - occasional use for bike rack or tow a lite trailer for camping?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    After a while you do get used to not seeing the front and you can judge where it is but it is quite un-nerving. I would consider the front sensors.

I have a tow bar. It's the lowest point at the back by quite a bit and scrapes on steep driveways. Having said that it might be protecting the rest of the car from doing that. I would get one again. The car tows my 7x5 box trailer ok but I have now got a roof box so won't be towing again unless going camping.

Enjoy your Ody!

Went to check out the RB3 on the weekend, looked at the polished metal colour and it was quite nice. I have the same anchor problem. I have a newborn capsule which would be in second row behind drivers seat and 2 baby seat which require anchor points. Salesman suggest that an anchor point can be custom installed to the base of the middle row as there is a cut out for it. He spoke to the engineer and it can be done to both sides of the middle row, that eliminates the in your face strap. As for the back row i have to look around for a booster seat that does not require an anchor, that leaves some room for the pram. I think its not a bad idea installing new anchor points at the base of the middle row, you can move the seats forward to let the back row people out and not have the baby seats in the way. What do you guys think?

We are enjoying the Odyssey. The only issue I have with it is anchor points in the roof - that is compromise we decided to make for all the things we liked about the car. There is nothing as fuel efficient, spacious, well equipped, and reliable on the market at a similar price. Closest I could think of is Dodge Journey in diesel, but have question mark on reliability, and loved the Citroen Picasso, but wife did not like the floaty ride and reliability is questioned in research. I think both these vehicles are worth a look.

Ideally anchors would have been on the back of the seats. I do not know if I would go through trouble of getting anchors fitted to floor. You learn to live with it, but just make sure you can fit all the baby/booster seats. A test before buying would be good.

We have 3 children - toddler, 6 year old, and 8 year old.

We have a toddler in front facing baby seat behind driver seat, and 6 year old in a booster (which requires anchor) in the middle seat in the middle row. This means 2 of 3 ceiling anchors are used. When we got seats fitted by an installer he suggested no one sit under the anchors as in the event of an accident a child may collide with them (or associated hardware) causing injury (though I note in the Honda handbook it recommends adults do not sit under anchor points when they are being used, however recommends children can). The installer advised that Mercedes in a (G-series (if memory is correct)) recommend you do not sit under anchors in ceiling when used. I presume Honda have done their research on this issue.

Note with above set up, folding second row seat is a bit of a squeeze to access 3rd row, but if you have a booster with H-harness in the middle seat, which relies on seat belt to secure it, as we do, you can slightly move the booster to make this easier.

8 year old uses a harness in third row, which is anchored in the floor behind the seat. We use a McLaren stroller which easily fits behind third row, in between the strap attached to the anchor and seat. If you were using both anchors behind third row this may be difficult. With our arrangement when required you can fold down the driver's side third row seat, which provides more luggage area if required.

8 year old is probably about a year away from not requiring a harness, which will make all of above easier as he will then sit in 2nd row (passenger side), and 3rd row will be used as required.