Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 s2000

[CL9] Intake Piping

Hey guys,

Don't flame me for my question. I've searched. Maybe I'm just a crap searcher.

Anyway, I'm gonna seem more noob than usual here. I'm thinking of chucking in a decent SRI. However, I have the budget of a ten year old. The more money I can save, the better.

After reading this short writeup on filters:

http://www.australianauto.com.au/HTM...hoot%20Out.pdf

I've decided to go with the cheapie option: 3A Racing Filter for a whopping $28.95. Apparently it outperforms all those $$cha ching$$ expensive K&N and Apexi filters in flow and filtration. AND it's dry. Go figure.

Where can I get decent cheap intake piping with a 3" opening for the pod to attach onto that will run in short ram mode? Already tried Supercheap, Repco, Autobarn etc.

It's annoying because the inlet for the intake arm when the airbox is off is 3.5". The external diameter of that intake arm outlet is 4" though.

Do I just get something like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SILICONE-4-3-...3286.m20.l1116

that goes over the intake arm opening, attaching it to some 3" pipe which goes to the pod? too dodgy?

that was a long post. help! my air filter was due for its change 2000km ago!

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    327i
    I hope your gonna build a box so it doesnt suck in hot air

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro Lux
    Answer:
    You should be able to get custom 3" piping from Autobahn which you just mix and match and add elbows to get the correct length/shape. A friend did it for his CL9.

OR....

You could save up and get a K&N Drop-In filter, remove the resonator and make a custom pipe to the front of the bumper. A small Power gain would be acheived, although probebly not noticable. Also that way, you can't get defected.

Solution: Buy an OEM Air Filter.

I'm not sure who you got the information off that the 3A "outperforms in both filtration and flow compared to K&N..." etc. as it is a load of garbage it would not do both. If it offers better flow then it most likely wont filter as good. The reason why K&N offers High Flow and Good Filtration is thats it's an oil element which assists in catching particles.

My opinion, if your on a budget... stick with OEM or OEM Spec. Replacements. Such as Ryco. Not only will the 3A Filter not filter too a good standard but... the power gain from a custom intake such as this that isn't designed/engineered would be VERY minimal and when I say minimal I mean definantly not noticable....
    Last edited by Sp00ny; 20-04-2009 at 12:35 AM.
    >> Now Known as "Phased"

Member Array
    Car:
    327i
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp00ny View Post
    Answer:
    You should be able to get custom 3" piping from Autobahn which you just mix and match and add elbows to get the correct length/shape.

OR....

You could save up and get a K&N Drop-In filter, remove the resonator and make a custom pipe to the front of the bumper. A small Power gain would be acheived, probebly again, not noticable. Also that way, you can't get defected.

Solution: Buy an OEM Air Filter.

I'm not sure who you got the information off that the 3A "outperforms in both filtration and flow compared to K&N..." etc. as it is a load of garbage it would not do both. If it offers better flow then it most likely wont filter as good. The reason why K&N offers High Flow and Good Filtration is thats it's an oil element which assists in catching particles.

My opinion, if your on a budget... stick with OEM or OEM Spec. Replacements. Such as Ryco. Not only will the 3A Filter not filter too a good standard but... the power gain from a custom intake such as this that isn't designed/engineered would be VERY minimal and when I say minimal I mean definantly not noticable....

I got my drop in k&n for like 60 on ebay delivered... brandnew... its cheaper than OEM filters in the long run

and also, just remove resonator piping and get a ducting pipe for cold air...

also it saves you from fabricating a box around ur SRI, so you wont get defected or suck in hot air.

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro Lux
    Quote Originally Posted by TONTON View Post
    I got my drop in k&n for like 60 on ebay delivered... brandnew... its cheaper than OEM filters in the long run

and also, just remove resonator piping and get a ducting pipe for cold air...

also it saves you from fabricating a box around ur SRI, so you wont get defected or suck in hot air.
    Take a chapter from TONTON's book

Would be the best solution given your situation, whilst still gaining a little extra power and a fun "DIY" job.
    >> Now Known as "Phased"

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 s2000
    Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I took my resonator out a few months ago, and also tried putting in my own REALLY CHEAP SRI with a cheap pod and piping from an exhaust shop. Long story short, I didn't want to get defected, the piping fit dodgily, and I was worried about filtration, so I've reverted back to the stock airbox.

DIY stuff is fun, so I'd like to make my own setup. However, from what you're saying it looks like I won't gain anything except for big noise. hmm.
    I considered the K&N drop in too - cost wise it seems to be a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Sp00ny View Post
    I'm not sure who you got the information off that the 3A "outperforms in both filtration and flow compared to K&N..." etc. as it is a load of garbage it would not do both.
    That's what I thought. Take a look at the link I included in the opening post. It's from an edition of an autosalon magazine. How reliable is that source? NFI. But it seems decent :P

You know how you say you don't tend to get gains with custom setups - is that usually because of the shape of the intake piping used? OR does it have more to do with the filter?

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    Get this.http://heeltoeauto.com/product.php?p...at=1916&page=1
    Chuck the foam filter it comes with and put in a K&N panel filter.I've got 1 of these in my CL9 and it gives some low-mid gain with minimal noise and it looks stock from under the bonnet.IMO good value for money.

Member Array
    Car:
    2004 Euro Luxury
    It's really disgusting the amount of dirt/dust all them filters let through, especially from 2nd to last, oil plays an important part, the filters job is to filter, airflow changes of 579.2cfm to 601.2 cfm (3.7% more airflow) (1st vs 2nd) would net extremly minimal gains especially if you consider heatsoak, especially if these filters were attached to a "high powered suction device" which a car engine isn't most of the time.

If your on a budget/economic from all the filtration options availiable and you want power without the price tag, K&n panel filter without the resonator is your best option, best of all its washable which means you dont need to chuck it out/replace every 40,000km.

Cheapie pod attached to the end of your intake is going to heatsoak like no tomorrow and ruin your fuel economy in the euro. However it will makes a noise which you might like.

Member Array
    Car:
    Public Transport / Foot
    whats wrong with stock airbox + panel filter its good enough oredy

Member Array
    Car:
    2004 Euro Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by felixd View Post
    whats wrong with stock airbox + panel filter its good enough oredy
    nothing is wrong with the stock airbox but it can be better, just by his first post and the article in it his looking for a change at a budget price while being economical, and also not wanting lose out on performance.

Having no filter would provide best airflow, but then your not really taking in the performance of the filters' main job which is filtering, a bit of fly screen would improve this setup again, his trying to determine the ideal balance for performance vs filtering. Not whether or not the stock airbox is doing its job.

Member Array
    Car:
    327i
    Quote Originally Posted by Min988 View Post
    nothing is wrong with the stock airbox but it can be better, just by his first post and the article in it his looking for a change at a budget price while being economical, and also not wanting lose out on performance.

Having no filter would provide best airflow, but then your not really taking in the performance of the filters' main job which is filtering, a bit of fly screen would improve this setup again, his trying to determine the ideal balance for performance vs filtering. Not whether or not the stock airbox is doing its job.
    lol just get k&n and so you wont dust your engine and **** everything up later on

which requires more $$$

seek more performance gains in other departments,

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 s2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Min988 View Post

That's pretty much totally correct. Thanks Min988

I like the idea of a pod because of the induction noise. Once I get sick of it, I guess I can change to something more subtle like the icebox. But I'm young and yeah, probably a "ricer" of some sort, so looks like that won't be for a while lol.

What surprised me the most about that autosalon article was how the 3A filter does better than the big names (Apexi, AEM, Trust) at a considerably lower price. I'm sure there's heaps of people who use these filters in their cars - if they're happy with the filtration and protection quality of those filters, and if I'm dead-set on a dry pod (for legal purposes - dry pods seem to be okay in VIC) I don't see what's wrong with using the 3A..

My problem, as the thread title suggests, is piping. there's some REALLY cheap cold air intakes for the TSX in the states that I can probably get landed for AU$160. i.e. this sort of thing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BCP-0...3A1|240%3A1318

is this is a decent option for mounting my own pod (there's no f@#$ing way I'd use an e-bay pod, lol) assuming the diameters are all okay. It seems to have all the necessary sockets for sensors etc, which makes it an easy install.

Would the material be too crappy? Aluminium = hot quick, but would this affect performance significantly at high air flow rates?

I'm thinking of getting the old hacksaw out and chopping off the end so I can run it in SRI mode with an enclosure and some ghetto cold air feed through the front bumper. Then, when I want, I can turn it back into a true CAI with the chopped off bit.

Sound too cheapoish?