Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City Rims

Question City Rims

Hey all

Have been chatting to a few pple on here & just randomly at meets around town but no-one seems to know anything with certainty..

I had advised my Dealership Salesperson that I was going to put 18's on my car and they were the one's who cited it'd be ok and shouldn't void warranty ("..so long as u don't take the car apart e.g. have anything installed incl. sound system/alarm..") but knowing fully when things happen, warranty can't really be argued to the point where it's viable to use a Salesman's word as hearsay... :s

I have a City which I was looking to put 18's on.. but after reading the following from a fellow City owner:
    Looked into wheels and tyres but after speaking to a mate who has been a Honda Service workshop foreman for nearly 30 years said don't do it. He is seeing a lot of Jazz's coming in with power steering failures. The electronically controlled rack and pinion doesn't like the extra load generated by wider rims and tyres and causes them to fail. Let's say some warranty claims are not being accepted because of the aftermarket rims and wider tyres.
    I'm just wondering what can be done.

After a mate advised:
    well i've heard nothing about the old gd jazzes appart from the handbrake defect (which has been fixed). Since u drive a city, which has the core of the new jazzes, i would be concerned if i were u. From what you've told me, the option i would go for is aftermarket rims and tyres with the same offset, wheel size, etc, bla bla bla. or best just go light wieght, (that way honda techs can't blame u for having too heavy shoes) but in the end it all comes down to research, call up honda and ask or just do a post on OH.
    I thought I'd just throw it out there in OH-land for comment/feedback. Ideally I'd still like to fit my 18's but not to the demise of my car, it's handling, or the new car warranty.

Any thoughts?
    bRomance - what OH is all about. Lol..

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1
    maybe 18" too big for a 1.5L engine?

Member Array
    Car:
    FDrive
    how long have u had ur car now for?

my opinion would be for a such a new car, to leave it stock for at least a yr or so coz you dont know if there would be any problems b4 hand as a stock car b4 doing any mods.

i drive a 07 FD civic, and when it first came out in 06, there were a few glitches tat needed to be fixed.. and wen i got mine in end of 07, i drove it around for a year b4 doing anything.. but now i've put on lightweight rims and the car still drives fine... but tats a civic

tats my 2cents

Member Array
    Car:
    Bangbus
    Just put the 18's on and keep your stockies, if there are any problems then chuck your stock wheels back on before you take it to Honda

Member Array
    Car:
    1976 VW Kombi
    18 seems to be a bit too big for the City, consider getting 15 or 16. i dont see it being too much problems changing rims, maybe worst would be affecting ur turning? anyways, if i were u i'd consider getting 15 or 16 inch rather than 18.
    InTEGRA TYPE R

ksl - 18's look aiight, they were nominated by OzzyTyres.. I wanted 19's..
    JohnnyFD - I've had my car since Easter break..
    geeang - tricky tricky! 0_o
    Chuckz - the standard rims are 16's... I wanna up-grade the size, wouldn't consider down-grading
    Last edited by AznEmpress; 25-04-2009 at 06:25 PM.
    bRomance - what OH is all about. Lol..

Member Array
    Car:
    FDrive
    arent u an eager bunny

if u really want rims.. go for 18" and lowered.. would look good.. going for 19's is abit too much for my likin, the city isnt tat a big car in getting bigger rims

Member Array
    Car:
    1976 VW Kombi
    Quote Originally Posted by AznEmpress View Post
    Chuckz - the standard rims are 16's... I wanna up-grade the size, wouldn't consider down-grading
    ahh ok, then i'd still stick with 16's imo.

thats just me, at the end, it's up to you.
    InTEGRA TYPE R

If you're worried about "added weight" of larger rims screwing up power steering then just get lightweight ones. :/

Member Array
    Car:
    Go Kart
    17's are a good compromise between size and driveability. Size isnt all that as long as you get good looking rims.
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U DO DIS

Member Array
    Car:
    180sx Type X
    lowered on 18 will look wierd on the city, go 17.
    will look sex once lowered.

oversteer....you wouldn't understand.
    ozhonda 4 lyfe!

Member Array
    Car:
    B16A EG Civic
    To fit 18's on a city legally you'd have to run something like 205/40R18 tyres. Bridgestone RE050A, Yokohama S-Drives or Toyo Proxies would all come in that size. Dont expect it to be cheap though. You might find that cheaper brands make that size but availability will be a problem.
    Last edited by 02gzm; 26-04-2009 at 10:13 AM.