Newcomer Array
    Car:
    honda prelude

D.I.Y: fibreglass side skirt extending

hey all, i bought some fibreglass side skirts from a member on here for my prelude, but unfortunatly one of the side skirts was 12mm shorter then what it should have been so i thought ide chop it in half and extend it 12 mm. here is my write up. hope u like it.

1st off here is a pic of the passenger side which was a perfect fit.

tools required - hacksaw
    fibreglass matting
    fibreglass resin & hardener
    paint brush (i used a 25mm brush but you can use bigger)
    2x car jacks

firstly, i chopped the side skirt directly down the middle, then installed one half of the side skirt

then i used a car jack to hold it in the position i wanted

after you have it where you want its time to do the same procedure but now with the other half of the side skirt. i also taped a long flat peice of aluminium to the bottom of both halfs to keep them level.

now when your done with getting them both in the position you want mix the fibreglass resin and hardener and apply to both of the halfs that are on the car then apply the fibreglass matting on top.

give it a few hours to dry and completely harden.

(i have not yet completed this but will be done tomorrow and will upload more pics)

after it has hardened take it off the car and apply more fibreglass resin and hardener on the inside of the side skirt then place the fibreglass matting over it, do a few layers to strengthen the side skirt. now allow it to all completely dry and harden.

now comes the sanding, sand the outside of the side skirt to give a flat and level surface. if you come accross and holes or un-even patches, use fibreglass puddy evenly across the area then when it has dried , sand it again.

clean it up and get it ready for paint

more pics will be uploaded 2moro while finishing the process and maybe a little bit of info here and there.

enjoy

Banned Array
    Car:
    EKB20 > EGB18C
    u sure that fibreglass looks like steel to me hahaha sorry but nice write up!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    honda prelude
    lol yeah mate its fibreglass, i just sanded it down a bit before i put the fibreglass one it.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R
    nice wheels...who sold u that?

Member Array
    Car:
    327i
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreymui View Post
    nice wheels...who sold u that?
    looks like apaches...

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi

Fibreglassing

Did you use chopped mat or woven sheet? What grade did you use (if you used chopped mat?)

Chopped mat is much stronger and excellent for this type of job. Also you can embed aluminium for extra rigidity behind the join.

After you chop mat the inside you can then smooth off the visible side with body filler. Sand it down and then undercoat/paint.

Good work though.

Peter
    Still here. Still kickin'

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    honda prelude
    i used chopped matt, the woven sheets are not strong enough.
    and whats what i had planned to do but like it says havent completed yet, was gonna finish it today but my other car needed attention.