Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    cb3 Accord

DIY: CB Accord Rotor over Hub Conversion/282mm Rotor Upgrade

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: CB and CD Accords came with a wierd front brake setup where the hub sits in front of the rotor. This makes changing or upgrading the rotors difficult and time consuming. This DIY will demonstrate how to swap the hub over rotor setup to a more common rotor over hub using all OEM parts on a 92 CB Accord. We will also upgrade the rotors and calipers to 282mm prelude items.

There are alot of variations to this using original sized rotors or just upgrading your rotors without the ROH conversion so if you have any questions just ask and I can try and point you in the right direction.

Required: Parts:
    - New or re-use CB Accord front wheel bearings. (If re-using your old ones they need to be pressed out from the hub)
    - 98 Acura CL 2.3 front wheel hubs (pressed onto bearings)
    - 94 Prelude VTIR 282mm front brake rotors
    - 23T Prelude caliper brackets
    - 97 Prelude calipers/92 Accord wagon calipers with brake pads to match

Steps:

1. Jack up the car safely and remove the front wheels.

2. Remove the axle nut and push the drive shaft back through as far as it will go. You need this clearance to get the bolts off that hold the bearing onto the knuckle.

3. Remove the 12 point bolts holding the bearing to the knuckle from behind the knuckle. You'll probably need to use a ring spanner because its pretty tight in there.

4. Ideally you would now use a slide hammer to get the bearing off the knuckle. It isn't pressed in but it is pretty tight. We just used a big screw driver and bashed it in between to wedge it out. Once loose remove it from the knuckle.

Old vs New bearing pressed into new hub.

5. Fit the new bearing and hub to the knuckle and screw the bolts in from behind the knuckle again. The bearing will be tight again so use the bolts to tighten it in, in a criss-cross pattern.

6. Slide the new rotor on over the hub and tighten the set screws.

Old Vs New

7. Fit the new caliper bracket, pads and caliper.

Finished. (Ignore the writing the calipers are from a BB6 Prelude)

8. Fit the brake line to the new caliper and bleed the system.

Other comments

Thanks for the help dave
    Last edited by Eclipsor; 03-05-2009 at 11:24 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    Sexy.. nice work

Ksports
    mugen無限power

Member Array
    Car:
    CB7> EM1>MPS3
    WoW!!.. maybe i shall attempt this...

hey eclipsor
    where did you source the : 98 Acura CL 2.3 front wheel hubs (pressed onto bearings)
    I MISS VTEC.... BOOST is OVERATED lol

Member Array
    Car:
    cb3 Accord
    I got the hubs shipped from these guys in the USA: http://oemacuraparts.com/

They were really quick and shipping was calculated automatically. The biggest downside of this conversion is the cost though. The hubs are expensive and so are the bearings if you get brand new.

I just got a mate to press the bearings onto the hubs at his work. Any mechanic should be able to do it.

98 accord parts don't work?

Member Array
    Car:
    cb3 Accord
    Not sure. There are two different types of Acura CL's. The 2.3 and the V6. You can only use the 2.3 for this swap. I'm not sure what equivalent models we have over here. If someone wants to give it a go I'd be very interested to see. You might be able to save some money and get 2nd hand ones from the wreckers. If buying new parts the prices are probably similar to what you'd pay from the USA. I actually bought the bearings from over there too because they were cheaper.

Member Array
    Car:
    POS
    DIY looks good man! Had fun giving you a hand!

It sounded like sourcing the parts was the hardest thing to do. Because doing the swap was so easy! Plus a massive difference in size!
    FFamily

Moderator - here to help Array
    2.3L is the F23A engine. its the 98-00 model accord (non-v6 obviously).

Member Array
    Car:
    CB7> EM1>MPS3
    Hey cam, how much are we looking at in terms off AUD$ ?? for all the parts of this upgrade.

And to clarify : The 98 -02 Accord hubs will NOT work for this swap
    Last edited by CB7_OWNER; 14-05-2009 at 11:08 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    cb3 Accord
    It's been a while since I bought the parts but I'll try and remember.

- 2 new Acura hubs bit over $200
    - 2 new Honda bearings bit over $200
    - 2 2nd hand calipers/brackets $55
    - 2 new RDA Prelude rotors $220
    - front set of new prelude QFM A1rm brake pads $110

I'm not 100% sure about the 98-02 accord hubs. The issue with some of the hubs that nearly fit are the spline size/counts being different. Possibly the VTI-L F23A would work. Are they 4 x 114.3?

Would definitely be cheaper if you could get those hubs from a wrecker. Use 2nd hand bearings. (which I can give you for cheap if you want). Use slightly cheaper pads and rotors.

If you wanted to just do the ROH without the rotor/caliper upgrad you could use a cheaper brand rotor from the same car that you get the hub from (which are 260mm) then just use your old calipers/pads.

Or if you want to do just the rotor/caliper upgrade without ROH you can use parts from the CB9 accord wagon. These are still hub over rotor but have the 282mm rotor and the same calipers as the prelude vtir.
    Last edited by Eclipsor; 14-05-2009 at 12:51 PM.

awesome work cam...

a big upgrade at a reasonable price

Member Array
    Car:
    CB7> EM1>MPS3
    Cam, you reckon the $700 odd bucks you spent was worth every cent for the upgrade? has the car seen the road yet since you put these on? or yet to try?