Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    99 Civic EK1

ABS plastic vs Polyurethane vs fibreglass

Hey everyone, i tried the search function but could find a thread dedicated to this.

Just wondering what are the main differences between the above types of material in lip kits. The pros and cons etc

I read that ABS plastic is the hard solid plastic and that the bumpers were made from it but theyre sorta flexible. and polyurethane is the soft one. and fibreglass breaks etc. just very confusing.

Thanks for all your answers!

Member Array
    Car:
    Liberty GTspecB
    ABS plastic - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylon...adiene_styrene
    Polyurethane - http://plastics.inwiki.org/Polyurethane
    Talks about there uses and some issues with em.
    PU, very strong and flexible
    I used to have a EK sedan
    psn: w-_custer_-w

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    99 Civic EK1
    cheers Raztaz!

Also, if i could hear your feedback from using these lips and installation etc

Ozhonda Subscriber Array
    Car:
    DC5R with a JDM K20A
    I think PU is the best for lips since it doesn't break as easily as fibreglass. Fibreglass is pretty fragile and cracks relatively easily. I haven't had experience with ABS Plastic.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Currently I'm using the ABS plastic Bumper Bar, they're excellent, as they can bend a little bit, which they don't crack easily. Used fibreglass bumper before, IMO they're heavier than the ABS plastic, and once you hit a gutter or hump, they tend to crack easily, and they break into pieces.
    In the long run, I will choose the ABS plastic, never try the PU, so can't give any comments.

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    not many bodykit shops in Aus make Duraflex (PU) kits yet... fibreglass is shit.

but i have seen some nice Honda lips in Duraflex for sale on eBay which work out cheaper shipped than any shop here. PU you can bend A LOT...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-98...spagenameZWDVW

But if you can get an ABS like this then why not.. i don't know anyone else selling them here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-98...spagenameZWDVW

And ABS you can do this:
    Last edited by dsp26; 04-05-2009 at 10:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

yea fibreglass is pretty pooor

but yeah, im using a fibreglass front lip atm? not experiencing any problems? and i have given it a hard time, scraping and bumping into shit, no cracks...

everyone makes it seem like its fragile like glass
    FS: BMW E60 04' 530i

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAKU View Post
    yea fibreglass is pretty pooor

but yeah, im using a fibreglass front lip atm? not experiencing any problems? and i have given it a hard time, scraping and bumping into shit, no cracks...

everyone makes it seem like its fragile like glass

yeah i know what you mean... its decent until you find something A LOT better... kinda like tyres every cheap nankang or kumho is decent for the money until people discover RE001s,T1Rs,AD07, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

Member Array
    Car:
    Liberty GTspecB
    im using ABS plastic lip now, man its such a b*tch to put on when its not a snug fit

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    Quote Originally Posted by Raztaz View Post
    im using ABS plastic lip now, man its such a b*tch to put on when its not a snug fit
    warm it up with a heater or hairdryer. but yeh, replicas rarely fit perfect.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    99 Civic EK1
    thanks for the input guys!

cos i was contemplating on getting PU from an OH member or ABS plastic from jdmyard, not sure which is the safer option regarding fitting and daily use. the OH member said that ABS may crack when you fit it on? but none here have said theyve had any cracking problems. however im leaning towards the PU over ABS

keep the discussion going as im sure a lot of people here would like to know the differences and opinions! the more the merrier!

Member Array
    Car:
    Liberty GTspecB
    get the PU. ABS lips can crack (havnt heard of it doing so when being fitted though), doesnt usually happen but ive seen it. I would of got a PU one if i had the $$ at the time