Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: b16b vs b16a

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    Hey guys, the b16b has a taller deck, same as the b18c's .
    The b16a has a shorter deck and shorter rods
    The b16b has a taller deck but the same size crank = longest rods in any b-series
    = better rod to stroke ratio
    = First Production Company To Produce 100HP Per Litre NA

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 EK4
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboyz39 View Post
    Why not b20 conversion? Retain all running gear.
    mainly cos there are no honda builders in Perth who I believe are compitant enough to build and tune a b20 that will still hold the same reliability as a stock unopen motor would have..

I know a shop that would do it (and have done one before), but they would charge an arm and leg for the labour alone and prob end up costing the same amount as dropping in a b18cr (which I would prefer over a b20)

am I right in saying the above?

Member Array
    Car:
    Jdm EG6
    b18c2? more torque than a b16 and not as hectic as a c7 or jdm-c
    basically nething u buy ur going to want to go faster weather its an r35 GTR or a hyundai excell, just keep to a budget and for the main purposes ull need the car for eg comuting to work, shopping car etc
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    hmm id tap it. Even in mid air like that. Possibly with the pee pee flying out too.
    you guys remember squirtqueen.com ? I spent many a hr in computer studies in yr 10 looking that up.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jdm EG6
    Quote Originally Posted by tuyen View Post
    mainly cos there are no honda builders in Perth who I believe are compitant enough to build and tune a b20 that will still hold the same reliability as a stock unopen motor would have..

I know a shop that would do it (and have done one before), but they would charge an arm and leg for the labour alone and prob end up costing the same amount as dropping in a b18cr (which I would prefer over a b20)

am I right in saying the above?
    Buy a torque wrench, head kit, b20 bottom end, b16 head and only use oem parts and it will be as reliable as an unopened b18c. you could do it at home if u wanted to try.....dont forget to deck the head for added comp
    hmm id tap it. Even in mid air like that. Possibly with the pee pee flying out too.
    you guys remember squirtqueen.com ? I spent many a hr in computer studies in yr 10 looking that up.

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EG Built B16a2 Turbo
    Dude if you are Iffy with what engine you want cos you wanna save for a evo...then keep the engine you have now which is probably a sohc d series and just leave it at that. If you wanna spend money on an evo then just wait and spend money on an evo. If you want to by a b16b etc there no doubt you will end up spending money on it anyways.

Figure out your priorities and find your budget and then make a decision. If it were me i would scrap the Evo idea and get a nice b series motor, LSD etc and turbo it with a high comp setup for a nice daily drive and you will forget all about the evo idea
    Fastfwd Photoshoot cover pic Click here!

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    lol ^^
    i really considered one time about selling and buying an EVO
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
    lol ^^
    what made you stay?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    Jdm EG6
    which Evo? if its not an Evo 9 then dont even look at it
    Life of the Evo= will get stolen, pulled over every 5 minutes, blow something in the trans, chews fuel, high premium for insurance, but everyone knows they go well
    honda turbo = no-one looks at them, will also blow a box if boosted, good on fuel, insurance is preety good, and will be dissed by every car on the street....untill u hit vtec and boost

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EG Built B16a2 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
    lol ^^
    I've had two s15's which pulled 320hp with exhaust, ECU, front mount, gt28r, and a good tune and yeh its easy to get power out of it and in an EVO it would be twice as easy. But theres not individuality. Theres no out of the box thinking. I dunno what its like in other states but perth are surrounded by evo's and to me they have just lost there appeal. Dont get me wrong there an awesome car. They have everything in one package but i dunno just dont like being the average joe with an evo.

Which gets me to my next random hijack of this thread. Im scheduled to race my mates Evo 10 after i get my build finished and tuned. All he has done is an aftermarket Cat back exhaust. I know my car will make it piss on a running start but in a proper drag i wont hold down any traction and he will be 4x4 dunno how it will go.
    Fastfwd Photoshoot cover pic Click here!

Member Array
    Car:
    M3
    Highlights of B16B 98 Spec R compared to B16A:

http://asia.vtec.net/beystock/honda/civicr/

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 EK4
    Quoted from that website "Note that B16B has identical low and mid range power as B16A."

hrmm.. leaning towards the 'not worth it' phase now haha

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    93 EG Civic
    Hey guys,

Read that article last night - yeah made me lean towards the b16a too.

The reason I'm swapping the motor is because my current engine has no compression and it's not worth fixing, the head is basically gone.

Also, I know what you mean about the - "every one has an evo" thing.. but everyone has a stock evo.. not the evo I want to build and of course its an evo 9 lol.

I've had about 7 civics now, I love the car and always will. But will not do a project on one again for a long time.

I'm starting to lean towards a b18c7.. at least I'll be able to sell the car off later to fund some parts for the evo.