Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: b16b vs b16a

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    93 EG Civic

b16b vs b16a

Hey guys,

Got a few queries about the engines - firstly I have used search and read through most of the threads about b16b and b16a.. and the ones about b16a head vs b16b head etc..

My question is a little different, If I have the option between the two engines.... obviously a more dear price for the b16b.. I would like to know the exact pro's of going with the b16b, yes it revs harder and has 15 extra kw.. but in terms of, basically keep the engine stock (internals) and only going for breather mods i/h/e maybe a few others.

Basically, I want to know it the extra 2k or so is worth it.

What is the real difference? Will I notice much?

The car is a daily, but may see the track every now and then..
    Last edited by aramiK; 07-05-2009 at 03:37 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG3
    think you're better off going with just a normal b16a head, the b16b is just mildly ported and polished from factory and with a red top instead and of course cams (maybe springs), that's basically all the difference b/w I 2 I'm pretty sure. Better off saving that extra 2k on head parts imo
    Why hello there

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    93 EG Civic
    Thanks for the reply, I mean the whole engine - isn't the b16b bottom end the same as a b18c7 bottom end?

Not too keen on spending alot of money on parts for the engine later down the track.. need something to get me around for a year or so.. and enjoy a little.

Saving for evo lol.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG3
    oh, thought you meant only the head, er not too sure, never dealt with a b16b, but I think money spent better on mods rather than a b16b, plus b16a cheaper more money for the evo =p you'd probably never wanna touch the civic again after getting the evo
    Why hello there

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    why not jump to a b18cR? B16b has high comp, bigger intake manifold, better cams, better valve springs over the b16a.

IMO put that money towards B18cR or a B20 bottom end.

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 EK4
    Find out if a B18CR inplant is possible. If so, how much difference in cost to the B16B? Does the B16B come with LSD/gearbox etc?

I'm actually in a similar boat at the moment. I have a B16A2 in my EK4 and have been offered a B16B (with lsd, gearbox, clutch) for 3500 installed. Then the cheapest I can find a B18CR halfcut alone is 5-6k. Is the extra 2-3k for the 1.8L worth it?

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboyz39 View Post
    why not jump to a b18cR? B16b has high comp, bigger intake manifold, better cams, better valve springs over the b16a.

IMO put that money towards B18cR or a B20 bottom end.
    i agree... theres not many B16B engines floating around and when they do, they'll cost the same as a B18C7 anyway.

The only reason i'd ever want a B16B is to put B18C7 crank+rods in it if my chassis wasn't allowed a 1.8l to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    b16b is esentially a destroked b18c (type R ver).
    For the cost i'd rather get the b18
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    Jdm EG6
    B16b cause if the gangsterness, everyone has a b16a and b18. plus u dont have to engineer it if u have a d15/16 and u can put the b18 crank in later to make it 1.8, but value for money get the b18
    k20FTWWWWWWWWWWW
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    hmm id tap it. Even in mid air like that. Possibly with the pee pee flying out too.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    you guys remember squirtqueen.com ? I spent many a hr in computer studies in yr 10 looking that up.

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Quote Originally Posted by tuyen View Post

I'm actually in a similar boat at the moment. I have a B16A2 in my EK4 and have been offered a B16B (with lsd, gearbox, clutch) for 3500 installed. Then the cheapest I can find a B18CR halfcut alone is 5-6k. Is the extra 2-3k for the 1.8L worth it?
    Why not b20 conversion? Retain all running gear.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    seriously since there are that many questions it may be easier for a drop in job.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboyz39 View Post
    Why not b20 conversion? Retain all running gear.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    93 EG Civic
    shadou - that's why I don't want to put too much into the civic =]

dsp - I considered b18c7 - I just know myself, If I put the b18c into it.. i'll end up working the shit out of it lol.

Limbo - Thanks for the info (that's what I figured)

rpm boy - lol ~

fatboyz - The reason I don't go b20 is because as I said, I don't want to dump alot of money into it lol.

tuyen - That's a pretty good price man.. very cheap ~ If I could do it for that price I would.. I found one for 4k.. no gearbox.. no install.. If you don't buy it wanna refer the guy to me lol.