Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    dc2 vtir

turboing b18c2??? Updated with build post...

Updated with follow on build post (years after this post lol)

Hey guys, done some searching and was wondering if anybody here has done the following to drop compression for their B18c2 when boosting.

1: b16a/b18c type r head (larger combustion chamber)
    2: Slightly larger head gasket or keep oem head gasket.

The way i am looking, i would like to run standard comp, but would like a little piece of mind as sometimes you can never truly trust a rushed and busy tuner, and from what i have read on these forums, a slightly lower comp will give some lenience when tuning....

I want to change from the b18c2 head to a b16a/b18cr head. This is supposed to drop comp aprox 0.2-0.25. So from 10:1 to 9.8:1-9.75:1

Would doing this allow for enough leniency for a tune? I would rather not run a thicker head gasket but will if i have to as i am not in the price range for a full forged rebuild atm.

Any ideas to if this would be a viable option?
    Last edited by Webby_roller; 04-11-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    although your calculated comp difference is minute, lower comp reduces the lower end grunt.

what your asking is a bit vague, you have to detail the setup.
    - are the propers proper, as in quality?
    - will you build the internals?
    - are you building for a top end HP monster or street driver with linear power, etc?

different horses for different courses.. i personally would rather keep the stock compression than lower it
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

Member Array
    Car:
    XR6 Turbo
    I wouldnt sarcifice quench area for a lower compression ratio, IMHO the better qunech area on the B18c head would do more for resisting detonation than lowering your compression by 0.2 ever will.

B20VTEC Build Thread

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    all depends on how much power & boost you want.
    If you're keeping under 200kw, i'd stay normal comp.

lowering compression helps for issues that arise, i.e bad fuel, overheating etc.

If your tuner is bad and not tuning properly even a decomp engine will not last.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2 vtir
    Hey, I am all for keeping the stock compression, and i know that i will be sacrificing low end if i change heads. There seems to be a major argument on this forum about dropping comp to turbo...

I am going for nice quality parts and a street car with the power to boot....

Boost wise is going to be approx 6psi, i am aiming for a t3/t4 as i can get a used one for free off a mates old man who is building a cosworth rs500 and has a couple of them lying around.

The motor atm is going towards 200k and i would love to get a newer block, but cant afford the full rebuild and forged internals....

I have heard from several boosted members on OH that if you don't have the money to spend on rebuilds, dont boost it as it will happen and it will cost a bit.... So this is more of a research Q than anything else

ECU wise i have a quick q.... What would people here choose on? S200 or S300, i have a s200 i can get second hand cheap cheap... or save for a full all out s300?

I am just asking as i was doing some research and came across this issue in one of the American sites and was wondering if anyone on OH had gone through with it...

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    y would u use a rushed and busy tuner to start with........................

find someone who is busy with work, but takes there time and is good at what they do with experience..................and build it the way i want to...................

lower comp on boosted honda ftl....................

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    s200 compared to s300 is mainly features if i rem rightly
    have a look at hondatech.com.ua they do a omparison there

6PSI on a T3/4 should give you about 150-170kw. SHould be fine for a while.
    Just rem that boosted cars wear faster, so futher down the track you can rebuild.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2 vtir
    Hey, Im not planning to try not use a rushed tuner... But there are some times when a tuner isnt in it 100% and can over look somethings....

I am looking for about 200-250 hp, so i should be in the right region for this...

i was just putting the tuner idea forward as i read about it happening to a couple of people in America, but i spose, they have relatively bad fuel compared to Aus so it shouldn't be that much of an issue.

i checked the HONDATA site and was just asking for first hand experience if anybody has run both of them... I have started to put money away for a rebuild and full forged internals and whatnot. But just for a beginning I was wishing to see what i could do with an unopened motor.

Thanks for your answers as of yet, It is making it easier to sort of steer where my time and money will be going...

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    my standard itr dc2 is making 239.8kw on 7.5psi with unopened motor.............its driven daily.........................

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2 vtir
    Hey, I saw that, i just finished reading about it in the new fast fours... Looks shmick... How many k's did you have on your motor when you went to turbo it?

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    Quote Originally Posted by Webby_roller View Post
    Hey, I saw that, i just finished reading about it in the new fast fours... Looks shmick... How many k's did you have on your motor when you went to turbo it?
    thanks mate..................i havnt had a chance to scan the mag and post it on here, i will do it tomorrow........

it had 150,000km's on it when i decided to boost it.......... its all in the tune and the way u drive it............look after it, it all counts

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2 vtir
    Quote Originally Posted by IEVAQ8 View Post
    thanks mate..................i havnt had a chance to scan the mag and post it on here, i will do it tomorrow........

it had 150,000km's on it when i decided to boost it.......... its all in the tune and the way u drive it............look after it, it all counts
    Do you mind me asking what you mean by how its driven? Like atm my driving style is just normal with the usual given it a bit onto an emtpy high way or when needed to get out of a sticky situation....

And do how does your servicing schedule look like for the motor? oil every 5k? etc.