Member Array
    Car:
    DA3 Integra

Ignition timing adjusting connector

first of all, what is it?

I'm wiring in a PR3 ECU, obd0, and the previous wiring setup (d16a3) didn't have one (most likely because it ran on vaccuum advance ignition).

will i need to get one, and if so, where are they usually located?

*Edit* also, where can i source the "electrical speed sensor", when again, i didn't have one with the original loom?
    Last edited by qikteg; 16-05-2009 at 12:41 PM.
    You never go ass to mouth!

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    u need to jump this connector to stop the ecu making any timing compensations,while your trying to set the timing. So once connector jumped ecu will hold the timing to 16 deg,then u can go ahead & match it up with the mechanical timing(ie mark on the crank pulley).It gives the ecu & motor a common reference point so the ecu knows what the actual timing on the motor is.

u will have to find a wire (usually brown) hanging out of ecu pin B20 & then short this wire onto the ecu ground pin C12 (usually green/white).

if u have no wire in pin B20 then find someone tossing out an old nonOBD harness & steal the pin with a bit of wire attached to it & insert into your plugs.
    then join a bit of wire onto C12 wire & then u got something to join together to set your timing,but make sure these wires arent gonna touch anything when your not using them,ie disconnect them from each other & tape up the ends & put them out of harms way when your done.

dont forget to warm up engine properly & make sure all other elec loads are off when your setting timing.

so answer your question,yes u need one & they are usually located near ecu(& are blue),also known as SCS connector in OBD1+ hondas.

for the speed sensor(VSS) u will have to source a gauge cluster with a VSS installed,such as gen2 crx or tegs of same era,it would help if u stated what car your working on,u might have to source the appropriate drive mechanism for gearbox & cable to link the 2,im not sure.
    another alternative is to go full electric VSS,with like a DC2 cluster & wire it all up.
    Last edited by CRXer; 16-05-2009 at 08:56 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DA3 Integra
    thats a great answer, thanks heaps. What i'll plan to do is source the connector if i can, as i'd prefer to have the actual component in there, but if i can source one, i'll jump the wires as you suggested, thats no big deal.

I'm doing the b-swap on a da3 (gen1) integra, which now poses a bit of a problem, because i wasn't exactly keen on doing a dash swap out, because i'm positive nothing will fit nicely.

if i wanted to source the VSS by itself (ie, not with the rest of the cluster), and integrate it into the existing cluster, is that even possible?

thanks for your help though, very comprehensive
    You never go ass to mouth!

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    any sort of 2 pin connector will do the job,u could even put a switch instead of connector but make sure its not easily turned on accidentally where u put the switch.
    the hardest thing will be getting the right ecu plug pin if u dont have one in B20,but u might have a spare one in the plugs considering all the vac controls on the old ecu,but u might have used all these up to add vtec,who knows how u wired it all.....

for the VSS,the prob u have atm is u have no elec signal from the speedo in the car as it was,it is all mechanical,ie cable driven & the old ecus didnt require a speed input,but u need a speed input for vtec & other minor compensations.

first u should determine what speedo drive mechanism u have on the bseries gearbox,is it elec(ie does a wiring plug, plug into it?) or is it mech(does a cable plug into it?)

if its elec,u will have to source & adapt a EG/DC2(maybe some DA's???) or later speedo into your cluster or swap the whole cluster.these had the VSS on gearbox drive mech & wired to speedo & ecu from there.

if its mech,u will need to use ED/F crx(maybe some DA's???) speedo or whole cluster.these had the VSS in the cluster & just wired to ecu from there.

u can also swap the drive mech on the g/box elec to mech & vice versa,to choose what path u take.

if u want to retain your original cluster,u really need to source a ED crx cluster or similar & pull it all apart & see if its gonna be feasible to adapt whatever parts associated with the speedo between the 2 clusters,ive never seen anybody try it or even bother,most people just swap the whole cluster,so maybe its up to u to pioneer something like this.
    Last edited by CRXer; 17-05-2009 at 03:16 PM.