Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Foot

Car choking when the gas is stepped on or rev too quickly

I am having troubles when I step down on the gas petal then the car sounds like it is choking very badly resulting in complete power loss and sometimes it would let out a loud bang which sounds like it comes from the exhaust.

This happens more generally when the car is warmed up and when I step down on the GAS petal quickly. It does not happen when i rev the car up slowly. It only happens when I try and rev it up quick. This can also happens when i leave the car neutral so i don't think it has anything to do with the clutch.

Can anyone help me out her or give me a slight idea what could be wrong with it?

Member Array
    Car:
    94 EG, 11 Maloo
    this happens to my daily! lol and it doesnt wana start? it full putters and dies! exhaust problem?
    Power Of Dreams...
    VTECN

Member Array
    Car:
    Bangbus
    Possibly a collapsed cat? Have a mechanic check out your car.

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    Does it only happens when the weather is hot? Seeing that you are in Victoria, we've been experiencing rather hot days until of late.
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport
    RenaultSport RS265 Trophy+

Team Yum Cha Daily - The Dim Sum Revolution

OzHonda's Public Relations Guru

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Such a common sounding problem,it's like it's flooding it then bang! explosion...I've always wondered what causes this.

Member Array
    Car:
    '92 EG Civic VTi
    Your fuel pumps gone. Let me guess, if you accelerate slowly the revs build up but there's almost no power or movement? Then when you decide to floor it, it splutters, chokes and goes BANG kinda like "vrOmmORORMMM BANG BANG vroROORMMA AAAAA BANG BANG"? It idles fine as well? Takes a little longer to crank than usual (more than two starter motor turns/cycles), maybe for or 5 turns before firing up?

If your answer is yes to any of the above, your fuel pump is officially rooted. Have a done in cat or bad exhaust will make your exhaust smell like dead bodies, it'll go BANG...but it normally won't make your car splutter and lose that much power.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Foot
    Quote Originally Posted by hayashi_1986 View Post
    Your fuel pumps gone. Let me guess, if you accelerate slowly the revs build up but there's almost no power or movement? Then when you decide to floor it, it splutters, chokes and goes BANG kinda like "vrOmmORORMMM BANG BANG vroROORMMA AAAAA BANG BANG"? It idles fine as well? Takes a little longer to crank than usual (more than two starter motor turns/cycles), maybe for or 5 turns before firing up?

If your answer is yes to any of the above, your fuel pump is officially rooted. Have a done in cat or bad exhaust will make your exhaust smell like dead bodies, it'll go BANG...but it normally won't make your car splutter and lose that much power.
    Well, the car sounds like vRooooOm PHUT PHUT PHUT BANG VROOOM. Yes it does take more then 2 cranks to start it up. Thanks for this, I had an idea that it was something with the fuel pump. Will go check the pump and exhaust and let you guys know.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Foot
    btw is there anything else i might need to check out as well?

might wanna check if you're running 4 cylinders.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    ^^^ check spark plugs.
    mugen無限power

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Dc2 Vti-R
    this happen to me same thing n the thing was i had water in one of my spark plug hole n i was only driving 3 cylinders n after i cleaned it the car didnt turn on so went a mech n he fixed the timing in the engine nit was fixed but then it didnt last long until i got a new engine soo yeah.
    hope that helped

flooding the cylinders with fuel will also cause it to choke and splutter.