Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ed civic

ed civic

heya all been a member for a while, just sorta been sitting back and learning.

been planning for a engine swap (at one stage i was shooting for a mini-me) for about a year now and have some questions.

so, im beginning to think that a d16a8 is the way to go because it is cheap, easy to find and has great after market support. will this fit into my 90 GL hatch with no need for new engine mounts, dizzy etc etc. would also be interested in a good place to get one (i live in lower Vic).

Cheers, Dave

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    To be honest mate you'd be best to get a D16y1.

Mate did the swap and its a epic and fun drive, only cost him 1k total (free engine) and there was no real need for Mounts/Wiring (much)

his main problem was Fuel Injection.
    SPAMMAPS
    Carburettor|Nation

that mikey G guy is the biggest shit talker ive ever met..
    in the space of 15minutes he sold two sets of wheels. claims a guy under the username DNT-CRY bought them!

thats because its obd2 isnt it?.

i think i would like to go DOHC because im going for a turbo down the road i dont want unhappy pistons with mixing V-tec and boost.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    Not really sure on his situation as he had a workshop do the work.

Really depends on your applications.

If I were to buy a ED tomorrow off ebay for 200 or so a D16y1 would follow.
    SPAMMAPS
    Carburettor|Nation

in the space of 15minutes he sold two sets of wheels. claims a guy under the username DNT-CRY bought them!

its a daily driver. but i want it to be quick enough to scare the shit out of my mates on the weekend

Member Array
    Car:
    Eg Civic
    just make it understeer at high speed in the wet

guaranteed shat bricks
    "Wheels are like bosoms to men, and cars have four of them"

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    hahahahahaa-

K'n A!

But seriously, a Y1 in a ED will be plenty aspecially if they're FWD nubs.

I took my mate for a spin in my civic (going slow) and he shit himself simply because he's a RWD'er and the driving sense it totally different when driving in a certain style
    SPAMMAPS
    Carburettor|Nation

i am aware of all of these things. i just think going to a OBD2 V-tec motor is in my price range ATM. im in uni and unfortunately funds are not that extravagant.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 Civic
    a no-tec D16Y4 from an EK1 & engine wiring harness. cheap & easy to find cause they're everywhere. dont need to change anything, axles, motor mounts, all d-series parts are interchangable...

i remember i seen somewhere a complete Y4, gearbox, ecu for about $400, bargains can be had. ive got access to an EK1 for $300, its a write off but its mechanically good...

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    y1's can be had for 600 and under.

shit there some good deals..... where are you guys finding this stuff? how many K's on the clock

the problems with those engines is that y1 is OBD1 and y4 is OBD2. screwing around with the fuel delivery could be a problem. have any of you done the swap, how hard is it to go OBD0 up
    Last edited by Davo "90 civic"; 25-05-2009 at 08:17 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    id be just sticking with an non OBD D16A8 out of a crx,just as healthy as the y1/y4's,its only the k's on the motor that will be the difference,maybe.

to go up in the OBD's just get an appropriate main harness from the car/motor combo in question & pull the EFI wiring out of it then just install to the ED,then the motor harness is plug & play,can be done in a coupla hours.

ur biggest headache is the carb to efi conversion,source a crx wreck & pull the tank & lines on it.