Eletrical problem with my keys ???

hi all...
    i have been having trouble with my accord recently 95 CD5..

The problem is most definitely Eletrical..

Once i was driving on the freeway and i realized that my Speed o Meter and Rev meter just died, like the needles fell straight to zero really fast....the engine might have turned off but i did not realize that because i have a manual.
    everything on my Dash turned OFF CD player and clock was running fine music was uninterrupted...all this happened probably for a max of 3 secs then everything came back...

NOW the car in on my drive way and i know what the problem is but dont know how to fix it...

The problem is the Place you put the key when you go to start the car,
    The key has 4 positions.OFF, ACC, ON, CRANK..

When i twist the key in the ACC everything is working like radios et, But when i put the key to the ON position nothing happens, it feels like it is still on ACC but it is not...

When i turn the Key half WAY between ON and CRACK then all the Dash lights come on fuel pumps working etc like it was in the on position.

Then i Crank the car and start it it starts but as soon as i let go of the key it springs back to the on position and everything turns of engine turns off no lights on dash etc cd still working though...

Now what i have noticed is that after starting the engine i let the key spring back half way between ON position and Crank everything continues to run etc just like normal ...

so the problem is that the ON position of the key is not working...

any help is greatly appreciated..
    Last edited by kustom-konsoles; 25-05-2009 at 02:51 PM.

Member Array
    Try getting a new key cut, or new barrel sounds like the fix.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    The contacts on the ignition barrel have some corrosion. If you can remove it to clean the contacts, you won't need a new barrel/keys.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord
    Its the ignition switch, a very common defect for cd5 accords which cause poor contact between the ignition switch contacts which may lead to arcing causing burning of the contacts and increased electrial resistance. As a result, this may interrupt the ignition switch circuit and cause the engine to stall. Additionally, heat generated due to increased resistance may melt solder within the switch and may fall into the drivers footwell.

i have tried my other keys they do the same thing...

so is there any reference on how to clean the contacts ?

Quote Originally Posted by BUN-135 View Post
    Its the ignition switch, a very common defect for cd5 accords which cause poor contact between the ignition switch contacts which may lead to arcing causing burning of the contacts and increased electrial resistance. As a result, this may interrupt the ignition switch circuit and cause the engine to stall. Additionally, heat generated due to increased resistance may melt solder within the switch and may fall into the drivers footwell.
    2nd that. i had the exact same problem and get a brand new ignition switch from honda dealer for approx $80 bucks and now its all good. better get it inspected before u get a new ignition switch, might be just some poor contact point or something. mine was melted so i get a new 1.

Member Array
    Car:
    1994 Honda Accord VTI-S
    for what its worth u can probably just buy a new one and get it fitted.
    I had it done for $50 installed.
    then u can recondition ur old one and try and sell it to make up the costs.
    Gas up the Vtec for you tonight and baby you can go wherever you like.....

it only took me 40 mins to get it out clean it and put it back....
    so i cant be bothered getting a quote leaving my car there for like a few hours etc...