Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: conversion.

conversion.

Hey guys. In the next few months I will be looking at buying a front cut, b16a. I was thinking about a mild engine build. Just the head. If it worth it?

is it worth it just building the head, cams, cam gears,etcetc. what would i need and what difference would i see over a stock head.

Im not thinking about building something crazy. Im just after abit of power and sound(that’s why I’ve chosen the b16 over the b18)

Now. I’ve never thought about building engines, changing engines. So ive got no clue as to what I need and what I want.

Can someone enlighten me on what I need or where I can talk to someone about doing it.

please keep replies related.
    Thank you.

Account Disabled Array
    Please don't waste your money on the B16a. Save a bit extra and get a hold of a B18CR running gear. A modded b16a will only make as much as a standard ITR engine

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    Well he DID say he wanted it for sound B16 crossover > b18 crossover.
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    I have built my B16A head. Skunk2 cam shafts/gears, Supertech springs/retainers, Jun valves, port+polish with matched manifolds, re-welded combustion chambers and ITR TB/IM.

I only did it because I already had a B16A in my car and the block is compressing awesome figures - and I still have the option of swapping the block for a B20 and retaining my built B16A head.

If you're converting to a B-series, then f*ck getting a B16A and building the head, seriously take that advice. It will be cheaper to get a B18C7 or B18C and you'll make as much power as a healthy B16A + head build, plus more torque. If you want sound then just avoid the B18C2 (or if you get a B18C2 just get a better TB/IM).

For more conversion info just use the search engine on OzHonda, you'll get loads of threads.

EDIT: I would estimate that the extra cash to convert to B18C or B18C7 would only cost you 50% of the B16A head-build value. IE it's cheaper to go B18C than build your B16A head.
    Last edited by dougie_504; 08-03-2011 at 10:55 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    I have built my B16A head. Skunk2 cam shafts/gears, Supertech springs/retainers, Jun valves, port+polish with matched manifolds, re-welded combustion chambers and ITR TB/IM.

I only did it because I already had a B16A in my car and the block is compressing awesome figures - and I still have the option of swapping the block for a B20 and retaining my built B16A head.

If you're converting to a B-series, then f*ck getting a B16A and building the head, seriously take that advice. It will be cheaper to get a B18C7 or B18C and you'll make as much power as a healthy B16A + head build, plus more torque. If you want sound then just avoid the B18C2 (or if you get a B18C2 just get a better TB/IM).

For more conversion info just use the search engine on OzHonda, you'll get loads of threads.

EDIT: I would estimate that the extra cash to convert to B18C or B18C7 would only cost you 50% of the B16A head-build value. IE it's cheaper to go B18C than build your B16A head.
    So dougie, lol im pretty much going to go down the same path as you since i'd rather get the b16a2 swapped in quite soon but not build the head as much.

but what is your opinion about the b20 block conversion? theres always talk about it but no certain price! because at the end of the day, im not really into top high end speed .. just torque

id rather go b16a2 for now .. then later in life when i do have another car YEARS from now .. do the b20
    "HONDA = Hold On Not Done Accelerating."

how much would i be looking at for a b18c7 front cut.
    some advertise for 3 while other 6.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Quote Originally Posted by Importsneezer View Post
    how much would i be looking at for a b18c7 front cut.
    some advertise for 3 while other 6.
    lol you seem quite convinced that you want a b18c7 instead, If i had that money laying around then yeah I would

but yeah I'm going down the b16a2 way, and i just find building and doing things to the engine in comparison to just having that power already buy getting a more powerful engine is more fun and rewarding

it all depends on whether or not if you want to play around with this car alot. I plan to keep it garaged for awhile when i do have a family, using my sedan as a daily car later on in life

That's my opinion, i guess i would rather pay less now and more later. I think it makes more sense to me now since i earn less now and earn more later if you get what i mean

Good luck with the find! only problem with b18c7 is finding one thats a 98 model assuming your car is?

Always wanted a b18, but when u think about a b18 in a sedan it would still be,pretty slow for the amount of money u spend. So keen on the b16 instead, has little power and is pretty cheap.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Quote Originally Posted by Importsneezer View Post
    Always wanted a b18, but when u think about a b18 in a sedan it would still be,pretty slow for the amount of money u spend. So keen on the b16 instead, has little power and is pretty cheap.
    I know EXACTLY what you mean

I've always wanted a K20 in my civic but when you really think about it, its all alot of money.

I think to myself instead of spending 3-4k more on an engine with more power, for now il just settle with whatever i can afford.

because both of us will be having sufficient funds when we are older.

my mate did hes b20 conversion (what i want to do) and hes in his late 20's.

I know if i get a b18c7 (my ultimate engine) then what would i do after it .. not much

whereas with a b16a2 for me .. is a new path with new challenges.

but yeah I just dont want to heavily invest on my car, knowing that I am very optimistic with saving for the future (as you can tell)

But im sticking with the b16a2 when i get it

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    If you want the power go turbo!

Torque is B20 material. Stock block, conversion parts + labour TBH I'm nowhere near certain but I would assume you'll be fishing out $3-4g at least? Ask somebody like 'gsi_psi'.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 DA6
    id go jdm b18c not b18c7
    just sayin
    Build Thread http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128210

RIP 1992 Horizon Grey DA9
    Current 1991 JDM Burgundy DA6, with 108kw atw B18A1

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    b18cr ?