Newcomer Array
    Car:
    umm jazz?

using 6x9 to act as bass drivers

hey i've had an audio system for a while now and i've already taken out my sub because its just taking up too much room and space. I'm looking for a 'lighter' alternative to fill in for that little deeper bass kick. i went into my friends new gen euro and accord and it sounds like there's a sub in the back. The bass is not deep but i like it ( it sounds like it plays bass down to about 60 or 80 ish hz) I was thinking of doing something similar to the euro in my jazz, either go rip out euro speakers from wreckers or customise 6x9's and customise a rear shelf for them and run them off a cheapo ebay amp. i took out my dyn and runnning them off my audiosystem f2-500 in my room and idq sub is running off a us audio amp in my room. what do you guys reckon i should do to get my bass back?

imo, a good quality 3 way component system (separate high, mid, low drivers) will deliver plenty of bass... my personal opinion go with good quality parts (non-ebay), otherwise it ends up sounding terrible...

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    this is my recommendation:
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpos...7&postcount=14

cheap in aus now... cost me a fortune to import from the uk ages ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

Account Disabled Array
    If you want to do things properly and cleanly get a MaxxBass103.
    http://www.wavescaraudio.com/

Hook one of those up to any speaker and it will sound deeper and louder. The difference is more dramatic when using smaller drivers. When I used it on a subwoofer it sounded roughly 20% louder but when I used it on 6.5" splits the bass volume doubled.

If you want a well priced speaker 6.5" speaker that will do the job check out the SPL Dynamics HF6.1
    http://www.spldynamics.fi/hf-comp/hf-61-e.htm

It can be had for $180 and will take 100rms.

If you want something a bit crazy (I cant remember the price on these) check out these 200rms square vibe woofers.
    http://www.vibeaudio.co.uk/products_global/qb69/

If you want to upgrade your front speakers for better sound and bass try Crecendo Opus 3. They have 6.9" midbass drivers which are very efficient, have a great thump and are a dramatic increase in quality over most speakers (depending on what you have in your car already).
    http://www.ozbliss.com/pages/product.html

Also make sure you SOUND DEADEN. Proper sound deadening will dramatically increase your bass output.

There are plenty of different ways to get more bass without a subwoofer. If you used all of the things I mentioned you would have a very enjoyable sound system without the need for a sub.

I hope that has given you a couple of ideas. If you need an amplifier just send me a PM me and find out what I have lying around.

What other components are you running in your system?

BTW dsp26, where do you get those?

Cheers.

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    EK4 VTI-R
    If keeping weight down is an issue stay with component speaker sets

to enhance bass on component speakers there is 4 main things you can do:

- buy a decent set of speakers (alpine type-r, type-x, personal opinion..anything under $300 you will be pushing the speakers)
    - sounddeadening around speaker mount and surrounding chassis (dynamatt)
    - amplifying using the low pass filter, or tuning the frequency range to the lowest the speaker can go but no lower.
    - get the phasing right! - biggest loss of bass normally comes through this..people say it doesnt matter which way the terminals go on but the fact is it does...make sure your positive is to positive and negative to negative... http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115169

Member Array
    Car:
    C34/RE7/ED6/FN2
    Slim line Sub any1? We all know the jazz has a smaller boot so if 6x9 wont do what you looking for? how bout a Slim line Sub?

i agree on reedyek 4 the alpine component series gives you a lot of bass. i ve heard them pump at JBhifi and i thought the sub was on but the alpine component speaker not sure which model but i started to luv it but it cost $200 a pair i think, but its worth it if you looking for space and quality

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    EK4 VTI-R
    Quote Originally Posted by hectic_filo View Post
    Slim line Sub any1? We all know the jazz has a smaller boot so if 6x9 wont do what you looking for? how bout a Slim line Sub?

i agree on reedyek 4 the alpine component series gives you a lot of bass. i ve heard them pump at JBhifi and i thought the sub was on but the alpine component speaker not sure which model but i started to luv it but it cost $200 a pair i think, but its worth it if you looking for space and quality
    Pricing for alpine speakers..you will be looking at around $270 for type-s (will do the job) $350 for Type-r (great sound quality) and $700 for Tupe-x (un-matched clarity, you will really need to run them off an amp)

have run type-r and type-x before and they both perform really well..i am an alpine man at heart :P

Member Array
    Car:
    05 DC5-Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by redmugenjazz View Post
    hey i've had an audio system for a while now and i've already taken out my sub because its just taking up too much room and space. I'm looking for a 'lighter' alternative to fill in for that little deeper bass kick. i went into my friends new gen euro and accord and it sounds like there's a sub in the back. The bass is not deep but i like it ( it sounds like it plays bass down to about 60 or 80 ish hz) I was thinking of doing something similar to the euro in my jazz, either go rip out euro speakers from wreckers or customise 6x9's and customise a rear shelf for them and run them off a cheapo ebay amp. i took out my dyn and runnning them off my audiosystem f2-500 in my room and idq sub is running off a us audio amp in my room. what do you guys reckon i should do to get my bass back?
    If you're looking for bass, i wouldn't even mention splits or 6x9s. Subwoofer is the only speaker that can get you good bass. Splits are good for SQ and 6x9s deliver a bit of bass but once you turn it up a bit (even if it's amplified) you get distortion. I'd consider a slim sub if you need the space or get a good quality 8" under your back seat. I'd stay away from the Strathfield and JB hifi brands. Maybe go Digital Designs. I've heard 8" DD subs run full capacity and by far they deliver better quality and harder hitting bass than the JB Hifi 12" subs. The only thing you won't be getting is such a deep, drowning bass. But hey, you'll be getting much more bass than any splits or 6x9 can put out and you don't want to shake everyone's windows when you drive through your hood!
    Black baby

Member Array
    Car:
    327i
    Quote Originally Posted by DC5-4ME View Post
    If you're looking for bass, i wouldn't even mention splits or 6x9s. Subwoofer is the only speaker that can get you good bass. Splits are good for SQ and 6x9s deliver a bit of bass but once you turn it up a bit (even if it's amplified) you get distortion. I'd consider a slim sub if you need the space or get a good quality 8" under your back seat. I'd stay away from the Strathfield and JB hifi brands. Maybe go Digital Designs. I've heard 8" DD subs run full capacity and by far they deliver better quality and harder hitting bass than the JB Hifi 12" subs. The only thing you won't be getting is such a deep, drowning bass. But hey, you'll be getting much more bass than any splits or 6x9 can put out and you don't want to shake everyone's windows when you drive through your hood!

Hmm got me thinking......

whats better...

5.25 fronts

6.5 splits rear and a slim sub? like 8inch

Or 5.25 fronts

6x9 rear with a 8inch slim sub?

imo, you should dedicate the most to front as thats where 90% of your sound will come from.

quality 6.5 fronts with slim sub will do you nicely.

pair of budget coaxial if you frequently have passengers