Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2008 Accord VTi Lux

8th Gen Accord, rear brake pads

Has anyone been told that their rear brake pads need to be replaced yet? I was told at the 20K service that they would be only good for another 5K...

Now at 27K, there doesn't seem to be much left there... probably another 5K or so.

I know that it all depends on a lot of factors such as your driving style, but this seems to be a common problem with 8th gen Accords:
    http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/A...08/index.shtml

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2008 Accord VTi Lux
    Anybody?

Member Array
    Car:
    09 Honda Accord
    Won't be able to say until I reach the 25K mark. I think personally, inquire with your dealer to see whether or not warranty will cover. Reading through the car complaints, a common solution seems to be finding a place that will offer you a lifetime warranty and go from there.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord 2005 VTi Auto
    I've got the previous Accord model 2005, and at last service they told me I had less pads left on my rears than on my fronts! Almost 100% of my driving is non highway too!! Very strange.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2008 Accord VTi Lux
    Just to give everyone an update:

Indicators started to sound at around 29K and one of the inner pads was almost all gone at 30K.

Dealers quote ~$295: ~$160 + labor and their service consultants believe that it's perfectly normal to replace the pads at 30K

Bendix Australia is yet to have rear pads for the 8th gen Accord. Bendix U.S. part number is D1336.

Honda U.S. part number is 43022-TA0-A00 (same pads as the Acura TSX or Euro) and I can confirm that it perfectly fits the Australian models.

The DIY didn't take more than 45 minutes

Member Array
    Car:
    09 Honda Accord
    Hey bbk, just wondering what you meant by they 'started to sound'

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2008 Accord VTi Lux
    Quote Originally Posted by Shpox View Post
    Hey bbk, just wondering what you meant by they 'started to sound'
    An on and off squealing sound caused by the wear indicators on the pads. It's hard to miss and very annoying...

Here's how they look like:
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3010/...60ce884109.jpg
    Last edited by bbk; 29-07-2009 at 02:20 PM.

Sorry to come into this dicussion so late. I've only just started looking at the forum.

I'm doing a lot of research into the Gen8 accord in case I decide to get one.

I've heard the break pad problem from a few sources. Perhaps its the quality of the pads they use? Would it be better to go to an independent break place or would this void warranty?

I dont drive too much right now as I live next to a train station and the hospitals I work at are also next to train platforms. So I wouldnt be doing much KMs anyways.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2008 Accord VTi Lux
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymousmoose View Post
    I've heard the break pad problem from a few sources. Perhaps its the quality of the pads they use? Would it be better to go to an independent break place or would this void warranty?
    Well, as I said at the time you couldn't find any other brake pads in Australia apart from the OEM pads.

I'm not really too sure what's behind this but some say that EBD's rear/front distribution of braking power might be the culprit

bbk is right about the EBD (Electronic Brake-Force Distribution) in the late model Accords. This has been extensively discussed over in the DriveAccord.net forums. Basically, Honda designed the EBD to put more hydraulic pressure to the rear brakes, especially if the rear is loaded up (cargo or passengers). This makes the rear brakes work much harder than a car without EBD, with the benefit of increased braking stability and less nose-diving.

Apparently Honda/Acura in the US has released a new pad compound for the rear brakes which is said to mitigate the high wear rates. Not sure if that will ever reach Australia.

I had to pay $250 to have the rear brakes replaced on my 8th Gen accord. The car has only done 25K.
    Not happy HONDA.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Ltd Ed
    Which brake pads usually wear out first? Front or rear?
    | cusco strut brace : toda headers : metal cat : fujitsubo legalisR : comptech SS : mugen visors : mugen CF airbox : euroR badges : custom 3M floor mats |