Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTi-S
    Looks like someone in New Zealand had the leaky boot problem (check out the pictures on that auction) and possibly Honda UK know about the problem?

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4K24
    Quote Originally Posted by fundies View Post
    I've got an 06 model VTI, and it gets water in the boot ( spare tyre ) recess. It drove me crazy trying to figure out how it was getting in ( still working on it ) but when I pulled some plastic trim from the rear boot area, and poured water onto the rear tailgate/hinge area, a short time later I noticed water entering the car via a sheet metal seem. Put some silicon on it, and it seems to have helped somewhat, but there is still some water entering this spare tyre area from another location that I'm trying to track down.

I think it might pay some of the forum members to have a check of their spare tyre recess ( especially after heavy rain ), to see if they have a similar problem as well. We dont need rusted out boots
    Quote Originally Posted by Chundermuffin View Post
    MY GOD! I have the same problem! I've got an '02 VTi-S, 3rd owner, had it since February, and it's obviously been going on for a while because I have a bit of rust near the tyre! I am afraid to park/drive my car in the rain Also, much like the OP (but not quite so bad), after heavy rain I noticed moisture under the right passenger seat!

I've called various smash repair shops/Honda shops (my car's not been in an accident, either) and they all deny that such a problem exists with these cars. I'm not so sure. Seems to be a problem overseas as well.

check the seals around ur taillights, i found the source for my wheel well problem
    and in my case it was the foam seals between the taillights and the body
    of the car. they tend to fill with dirt and leaves over time, causing a pool
    on rainy days and because theres no sunlight its not drying... so it has then
    eaten away at wat seal there is, im assuming sumthing in the vegetation
    assisting it and its just dripping on in... it was coming through that much
    it was entering the taillight housing aswell... so i pulled them apart recently and
    had to respray the silver...

ive had my wheel well nearly a quater full before i first noticed it.... removed
    the grommet in the bottom also...
    Last edited by Riviera; 17-06-2009 at 06:40 PM.
    Vince

Member Array
    Car:
    CR-Z Luxury

Problem Resolved!

I have some good news, I discovered how the water got into the car!

To those who r interested, this is what happened……

After taking the car apart and being completely baffled, I finally had the chance to put the car out in the rain on Sunday. I had to sit inside for like 15 mins watching the back door to discover where the water was coming from. After taking the door lining off last week, I was able to see clearly that the water was coming from the inside plastic lining. It was only a few drops, but over 45 minutes the water started to build up (see pic 5). To my surprise, whilst sitting in the car I saw a small drip come down from the driver’s door (see pic 3) ending up in the rear footwell. Basically the reason why it happened that day was a combination of 3 things.

1) What happened to me was an unusual event. For the few drops of water coming from the 2 doors to cause any issues (i.e start soaking the carpet) the car need to be parked on a hill (nose facing up) for at least 90 mins to even have a chance of the water touching the carpet. It has to be heavy rain for the fulltime. That day my car was parked out on a hill for 10 hours. It was the most rain Brisbane had had in 20 years!

2) The reason why the plastic lining is leaking is due to it being removed twice before to have a few dents fixed up on the door (not accident damage). If the glue around the bottom of the door starts getting minimal in that area (i.e. due to the lining being removed a few times) you will experience the same problem as I did.

3) The Jazz has a slight design fault. If the door seal thing (the white plastic) is never removed, it won’t be an issue. But if it is removed even once for a dent to be fixed, then the flaw will come out. The issue is that the interior door trim ends before touching the car body’s rubber (See pic 6). So if anything leaks in the door it comes into the interior, as in my case. What Honda should have done is made the interior trim go right down and finish where the rubber is (so it meets it). That way the water can escape out and not get trapped in the interior of the car. However, I’m not sure if doing this would cause other issues.

At least the fix should be relatively cheap. Just need to source some new Glue to make sure those white plastic things are well stuck to the doors.
    Hopefully this doesn’t happen to anyone else (the issue will only emerge when there is an extremely heavy, constant downpour). However if you see the same thing with your Jazz as in pic 2, then it is likely your car has the same issue as mine.

It pays for every Jazz owner to check all 4 doors to see if they have water pooling as in pic 2. If you do most likely you will one day have this same issue.

Front Door

Front Door

Front Door

Rear Door

Rear Door

Rear Door

I’m going to put an extra lining inside each door, to ensure this doesn’t happen again. I want to make it more water tight than Noah’s arch.

Thanks to everyone for their help and input!

Member Array
    Car:
    jazz
    damn it, our aug 2015 GK5 has water pooling on rear right foot well too. going to check the front driver door asap.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aebk6KoBNws

EDIT:
    http://imgur.com/a/aSjcS
    water accumulate behind the plastic until the weight pushes the plastic away from the glue.. wtf
    Last edited by gambate; 22-03-2016 at 03:14 PM.