D2 8 Piston Brake kit Front 330mm HONDA CIVIC EK TYPE R

Hi,

(Skip this intro if reading bores you)
    Well I recently decided not to give in to the hype of buying a new car to attain and maintain "status" amongst my piers and instead keeping my much loved and much lowered civic 1996 EK Gli (much loved because there has been no debt associated with this car for some time now, much lowered because I find myself carefully selecting destinations, avoiding certain traffic island/speed hump happy suburbs in Melbourne). Keeping the car means one thing.... which is to address some of the performance "issues" experienced during long drives through the twisty bits of inland and coastal Victoria. um, er,,, the brakes!!! they just don't stop like a type R teg let alone be trusted to stop the same way twice. Now I know the cibik Gli ain't big on power but for now revving hard through 2nd and 3rd gear whilst playing the wheel balancing act will suffice for now.

(Read this bit if answering upgrade questions is your thing)
    I've been browsing the web for stop quick bits and came across D2 8 Piston Brake kit Front 330mm HONDA CIVIC EK TYPE R (on EBay). Does anyone have any experience with these stoppers or even better have any recommendations on what to buy and where from. I'm a DIY so want to fit the things myself.

Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM K20A
    are you planning to do engine swap? and work more on the performance side? (like forged internals, turbo, supercharger etc)

8-pot or even say 6 pot is an overkill.

first, is to upgrade the pads. if you feel that you need more, upgrade to DC2R's calipers and rotors. but if you want the look as well. go with Spoon calipers, should be sufficient.
    Last edited by blk_shadow; 08-06-2009 at 10:01 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    eg sedan
    its huge... wonder what rims wud clear them... type r brakes are 286mm... those things are 330mm plus a 8 piston caliper must b huge.

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM K20A
    Quote Originally Posted by d15z1SUX View Post
    its huge... wonder what rims wud clear them... type r brakes are 286mm... those things are 330mm plus a 8 piston caliper must b huge.
    yeah, they're big, but wouldn't be too different in size with a 6-pot since the pistons are smaller in size.

12 pistons is big...hahahaha...

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Quote Originally Posted by repsorp View Post
    ....w car to attain and maintain "status" amongst my piers and instead keeping my much loved and much low........
    why would you need status amongst these things??

to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM K20A
    Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    why would you need status amongst these things??

hahaha...don't pick on him like that.

At this stage I'm trying not to think about engine upgrades even though I've had a quick browse on the globalhypermeganet for turbo kits. The car has 18's at moment (60% for looks & 40% giving it .. dare i say it.. a go kart feel (not those bulldust hire karts, the real thing.. lol)). rims will go eventually, for something made of lighter materials. I guess the main reason for the overcompensating stoppers is i wouldn't mind doing the odd track day purely for the thrill of turning corners and stopping on a dime everytime. i tried upgrading pads a while ago but long hard drives kill them. it has to be noted my tyres don't last that long either.. and i don't do burnouts! poor rear camber angles also doesn't help the rears.

Thanks for the quick response fellow Hondanites

muahahaha, nice jetty,
    i earn a crust as a geek and my use of the english language sucks mothballs..

Member Array
    Car:
    CB7> EM1>MPS3
    have you done basic maintainence? might notice a big difference, for example.

flush brake fluid, new rotors, new high temp pads for starters , then after that, if its still not efficient going a bit further, would be upgrading to 282mm rotors + appropriate calipers such as ITR, SS braided lines,..

Other small things to take into consideration, are the dampers/shocks/spring rates ( these effect braking a little), your tyres....get some good sticky stuff, like re001 or s drives or wot not..

Dont think it is neccessary at all to be using 8 pot calipers..unless its a pure track car, even if you take it to the track once every now and then all i can picture in my head is.. with a stock engine, your never going to be hitting very high speeds, semi-slicks nicely warmed up and pads up to temp..resulting in your neck snapping off if your car was equipped with 8 pots and mating rotors, unless you have a harness of some sort.. which would mean a bucket seat...Sorry getting a big side tracked here.. haha
    I MISS VTEC.... BOOST is OVERATED lol

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    if you think 18s make it feel like a go kart (its probably do to the low profile sidewall) then throw on a set of 15 or 16s with low pros, and see what it feels like

imo, if you want braking, do a type r teg conversion, of brakes hubs etc, better value then some stupidly big blingy 8piston POS

plus, when cops see big purple brakes theyll pull you up and straight away ask you about them

they wont be able to tell the diff if you install Teg ones
    to see all of my build, checkout