Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic Sedan

Problem with one door and central locking

I have a gracefully aging ED Civic that has decided to have its front passenger door lock go fffffft! Though it still locks the solenoid is have a massive stammer when it locks the door. Opening is fine, just locking. I took the the lining off and had a look but there is nothing there that can really be serviced. Any help would be appreciated.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic EK
    I have something similar read my thread
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113328

Member Array
    Car:
    B16b EG5
    Sometimes this happens to me a bit. i found problem only occurs when my car battery is running real low as i got a whole heap of electrics which just drains the bat. try recharging the car bat if your running hids. sound system etc. then see how you go

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic Sedan
    Thanks for the replies. Battery is OK as the other door locks work fine. It's as if the mechanism inside the actuator has worn and rattles as if it is trying repeatedly to pull the door lock down. Also I just checked the DIY articles and it looks as if the actuator is crook and to replace it with an original one will be expensive (what's new) or you can somehow use an aftermarket one ? I'd imagine you would install it as if you were putting in a whole new central locking kit in a car with it, but just on that one door ?
    Last edited by EDCivic; 13-06-2009 at 09:25 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    '92 EG Civic VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by EDCivic View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Battery is OK as the other door locks work fine. It's as if the mechanism inside the actuator has worn and rattles as if it is trying repeatedly to pull the door lock down. Also I just checked the DIY articles and it looks as if the actuator is crook and to replace it with an original one will be expensive (what's new) or you can somehow use an aftermarket one ? I'd imagine you would install it as if you were putting in a whole new central locking kit in a car with it, but just on that one door ?
    If its just the actuator, its quite simple to swap out. You can retain the actuator arm (the metal piece which is fixed to the lock mechanism), metal bracket, and the wires should be just the same from the previous one. But buying a singular replacement is pretty hard as I think they all come in pairs, but aren't very expensive anyway...$25-40 will net you a decent pair.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic Sedan
    I have taken the path of retro fitting another actuator. I got quoted $75 parts and labour so seems like a fair price. Thanks to all.

cheap door lock actuators will wear out over time.

Just replace with new ones.

easy fix.
    blah blah blah