Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    First time that's ever happened to me today. Was damn tired (only 2 hours of sleep last night) and distracted by a guy in his Mini Cooper trying to 'drag' me at the lights. He totally jumped on me, but I managed to gain back the lost ground before he could pull in front of me.

Anyway, what I really want to ask is how bad is it for the car to bounce off the rev-limiter? I felt like I hurt my baby :lol: and don't ever want to do that again...

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    In the 3 years+ that I've owned my SiR I've done it maybe a dozen times by being over-enthusiastic. It's not a nice feeling is it? Kind of like a kick in the balls physically and emotionally when you realise what you've done. The pain takes a while to dissipate. The point is that the rev limiter is there to save the engine and it cuts in before you can hit the damage zone.

Take your baby to the car wash, give it an extra coat of wax and tell it that you promise you'll never do it again
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 CRX
    Don't worry about it because you would have caused far more damage if you had have over-revved the engine, just don't make a habit of it

-2ds

Member Array
    Car:
    SIR
    dont worry about it, the rev limiter is there to prevent u from over rev, u should be worried when it doesn't kick in.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK VTi-R
    Quote Originally Posted by Setanta
    In the 3 years+ that I've owned my SiR I've done it maybe a dozen times by being over-enthusiastic. It's not a nice feeling is it? Kind of like a kick in the balls physically and emotionally when you realise what you've done. The pain takes a while to dissipate. The point is that the rev limiter is there to save the engine and it cuts in before you can hit the damage zone.

Take your baby to the car wash, give it an extra coat of wax and tell it that you promise you'll never do it again

hhahaha that is sooo true,, u kind of know that its not doing that much harm, but at the same time ur like "Awwwww pooor car, are u alrite??? damnn i wont do that again, sorrrrry" hahaha

i've done it once and i felt so bad i said to myself that i wont vtec for the next week or so haha

Quote Originally Posted by Setanta

Nah, it isn't a nice feeling at all, but at least I know what it feels like to hit the rev-limiter in my car after 3 years of owning it! I hope I don't ever do that again :lol:

Winner! Array
    Car:
    dc2
    HA....
    iwas in 4th doing 110.....on a freeway type road mind you,.. and i thought .. well actually i wasnt thinking, and to be honest i didnt know until after this happened, but i just dropped second, ... and VRAAAMP VRAPPP VRAMMMP VRAPPPP..... it bounced about four times before i realised what had just occured, then i put her back into forth.

now i know that 1st gear goes to about 70-80, 2nd to 100, thrid to 140, and then end of 4th is around up to 200.....

now i know... now i know....

my poor baby.

guess its all about getting to know ur car.
    when do we hit vtec?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4
    Quote Originally Posted by fried
    HA....
    iwas in 4th doing 110.....on a freeway type road mind you,.. and i thought .. well actually i wasnt thinking, and to be honest i didnt know until after this happened, but i just dropped second, ... and VRAAAMP VRAPPP VRAMMMP VRAPPPP..... it bounced about four times before i realised what had just occured, then i put her back into forth.

now i know that 1st gear goes to about 70-80, 2nd to 100, thrid to 140, and then end of 4th is around up to 200.....

now i know... now i know....

my poor baby.

guess its all about getting to know ur car.

...mupapapa....thats what u get for challenging the might of GSi :P...... it WAS a pretty funny sight having u square in my rearview mirror tho...... :twisted:

.......4 times...... ouch.... :roll:

4th into 2nd ? APART from compression braking in a RWD car....HOW did u mange this one dood ? :P DAm, that must of hurt....Id hope all ur valves are ok , plus hope that ur timing belt isnt hanging by a thread now due to the sudden ATTACK! ehehhe

What can i say- its ok to miss a gear on upshift (who hasnt) but going down is NOT COOL !

BTW Jon ur gsi isnt a normal car....its a G(si)-TECH powered beast

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    i wouldnt worry about it, a mate of mine bounced his CRX's rev limit daily...i think the engine had about half a million km's on it when it was finally taken out for a rebuild :P

Disabled Array
    Car:
    Type-MO
    WTF eric? i don't understand how you can go from 4th into 2nd? aren't they right next to each other? :? :?

Winner! Array
    Car:
    dc2
    4th.....110.... put in neutral, clutch out, revd to about 4ish, clutch in into 2nd, clutch out, accelrated..
    when do we hit vtec?