Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Ek CivicVTi

Setup for my D series

So im after some help with boosting my 5sp D16Y5. Im aware its not the best honda engine but i dont wanna go do a swap like most people do. I wanna keep my D lol. just wantng to know wat a good setup woould be to have on my car. Dont want to be spending any more than $3k and im not after massive gains, just a little extra bite with that PPSSSSHH!

Ive read heaps of stuff and just wanna know whats true. for instance... changing my Y5 head to Y8, OBD1 conversion, compression ratioa and stuff like that

So as i said above...pretty much im after this. Boosting my D16Y5 with a budget of $3k looking for a little extra pull. Thankyou.

Member Array
    Car:
    Subaru Tai-berty
    easypeazy!!!

have u sourced any parts yet?

theres a few in d 4sale thread.

3K easy as

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 Civic
    Because the Y5 is already VTEC, A Y8 head will be a straight swap over. You only want to convert to OBD1 if you plan to run a chipped ecu, which you probably do cause your going forced induction. All you'd need then is an OBD2a/b > OBD1 conversion harness & a chipped P28 ecu with a basemap for your setup. This is a cheap way because alot of the US guys do it like this.

For your turbo, it all comes down to what you want. a fast spooling turbo or a turbo that comes on a little later in the rev range, i can suggest heaps of turbos for you, but i need to know what your preferences are.

& you can deff do this with 3k...

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic 97
    look at the kit for sale here on ozhonda... bolt it on and away you go
    WOULD YOU LIKE SOME FRONT BAR WITH YOUR FRONT MOUNT

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek CivicVTi
    id love to buy that kit but i dont have the money atm lol
    i plan on working my way slowly up to getting this setup done, but thanks for letting me know What does swapping my Y5 head to Y8 actually achieve? Thats what i dont get?

And no i havent got any parts yet as i wanna know exactly what is the right stuff TO get before i go and start buying parts. And as for my turbo i reackon maybe 3,500rpm? but i dont know much about that kinda stuff i wanna have a bit of revs left for the boost :P I was thinking of getting a turbo from a wreckers in good condition, but as i said before im not very knowledgeable and wouldnt know what kinda turbo to grab..

Member Array
    Car:
    ek1 mother****er
    y5 is designed for economy
    y8 is classic SOHC VTEC YO

extra power and stuffs

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek CivicVTi
    lol thats what i thort but didnt wanna say it incase i was wrong haha
    anyone selling a Y8 head than?? and also theres a Garrett T28 Turbo off nissan, comes with actuator, stock nissan dump and oxy sensor for sale on here...would that be the go, ive read that cuz its from a nissan (most being RWD) that there will need to be some modifications made becuase of the way it faces or something along those lines?? anything to worry about..? cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    Subaru Tai-berty
    i got a y8 head if u want its still on my fked up block

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 DC2R
    i wudnt bother doin a head swap, all d series engines r made 4 economy neway

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek CivicVTi
    but mine being VTEC E, swappping to the Y8 head wouldnt that give me a little more response? and if i plan on boosting it then wouldnt the Y8 head be better?

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 Civic
    swap the Y8 head, i would say it flows a little better then the Y5, has a more aggressive lift compared to Y5..

Modifications to the turbo, in order for it to fit in your engine bay. You may be required to clock the turbo, which means your moving the compressor or turbine housing so the compressor outlet is facing downward, making intercooler piping easier to fit...