Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    VTEC only works in high RPMs, therefore a VTEC car is just like a non-VTEC car at low RPMs. And since most people drive at low RPMs most of the time, VTEC is a waste of money.

Explain the validity of this comment.

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 CRX
    it's not valid seeing as honda don't suplly all their cars with vtec only the more performance orientated models.

i think ? =)

-2ds

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Honda uses VTEC for fuel economy and performance. The new accord, a 145kw 2.2 Litre engine does less than 10L/100km city driving :wink:

Well that may be true of the past years, but as far as I know Vtec technology is now in every single vehicle honda releases.

The problem I see with that comment in the first post is that, it is not a waste of money.......... two different cam profiles, one to still give you good drivability around town, the second to bitch slap a few V6 and V8's around :lol:

I honestly think that Vtec is more suited to city driving than a turbo car.... I mean, at least you can rev to a touch over 5k without the ears of people aound you pricking up thinkin hello where as your average turbo car out there 3 k and pssssssssssht! Would be annoying to me!

Just my opinion,
    SPEEDY!

Winner! Array
    Car:
    dc2
    i think it depends on the person.

for instance, i think me spending the extramoney to buy a vtir dc2 instead of a gsi, i have sorta peace of mind and like assurance my car can perform, in this instance, i dont think ive wasted money.

yes its true that i dont alwasy use vtec, but when i want to, i know its there. but again thats my personal opinion.

and again, it also depends on the driver, like me with vtec and soemone with out, they can still beat me cos im a bad driver.

but if u think about it, that statement, about vtec vs no vtec, is only applicable to dc2s and some egs and eks, and the 95 preludes... where they have models with and models without vtec....

every honda after that, AFAIK, comes with some sort of vtec, whether it be the all out sports vtec, or the i-vtec, or the e-vtec, like fuel economic vtec etc, rather than performance DOHC vtec.

ALL that said, does anybody understand any or all of the newer breed of vtec out there from other brands? like toyotas vvti etc? appearently they kick in only around 3k for low comp *vtec* and again at 6k for the hi comp *vtec*, but then doesnt that negate the statement *vtec only works in works in hi revs*..... like for honda yes... but the new breeds and versions of *vtec*?!!??!
    when do we hit vtec?

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ds
    it's not valid seeing as honda don't suplly all their cars with vtec only the more performance orientated models.

i think ? =)

-2ds
    CR-V/MDX has VTEC, also both of the new Accords, so excepting the Euro Accord ('sports sedan'), would you call a 4WD a 'performance oriented model'?

only the really low range hondas do not have VTEC - base model Jazz and 7th gen Civic sedan (like mine - BOO HOO!)

but it would make good marketing and engineering sense to introduce some sort of VTEC across the whole range - either hi-po VTEC or fuel economy/driveability VTEC

Of course buying a VTEC model is a waste of money if you arn't going to use it. That's why there are CXI, GLi etc available.

If anything VTEC is a cost effective developement. You save petrol if you are just driving normally, but are still able to attain high performance by reving to the VTEC range.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by XXpl05ive
    VTEC only works in high RPMs, therefore a VTEC car is just like a non-VTEC car at low RPMs. And since most people drive at low RPMs most of the time, VTEC is a waste of money.
    That comment is very biased (then aren't we all!).

Everyone has this misconception that VTEC makes your car go super fast. This isn't true. VTEC was introduced to give you daily drivability while giving you a good top end when you put your foot down.

Hence, VTEC is when you want to bring out the performance of your car. If/when someone drives fast and they are pushing their car, the tacho is always going to be above around 4.5K RPM. Hence thats the reason (well one reason) that VTEC is suited to high RPM.

Even turbo cars don't deliver full boost untill you are above a certain RPM (or even a certain gear in some cases). It's pretty much the same story. If you are driving your car hard/fast then you will be revving it out. To me it sounds like the comment that was made was assuming you always drive under 4,500 RPM.

Pretty much all those FAST turbo cars out there make all their power high in the rev range. That comment is just narrow minded and taken out of the blue.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    From my viewpoint, it's a valid comment if you are a granny driving a performance VTEC car (mind you, I've met a few grannies that wring the crap out of their cars too ). Otherwise, the whole purpose IS to give you a car that has the best of both worlds when you want it.

The comment totally ignores all the VTEC-E cars though :?

I've seen this argument on user groups before - usually it's just trolling.
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX

Winner! Array
    Car:
    dc2
    Quote Originally Posted by wynode
    Everyone has this misconception that VTEC makes your car go super fast. This isn't true. VTEC was introduced to give you daily drivability while giving you a good top end when you put your foot down.

Hence, VTEC is when you want to bring out the performance of your car. If/when someone drives fast and they are pushing their car, the tacho is always going to be above around 4.5K RPM. Hence thats the reason (well one reason) that VTEC is suited to high RPM.
    yeah i agree. im making this up, i think, but vtec doesnt neccessarily make ur car go faster, instead it gives u more power for longer up hi revs, hence you'll notice that on vtec*apable cars* compared to their non vtec counterparts, have a longer and higher rpm reving range.

but i think i just made that up from observation.

so i think that vtec (in its performance mode - dohc vtec) is there to give u power throughout the reving range, in other words giving power hi revs, cos thats where u usually lose power. not to make u go *faster*.

does that sound right?
    when do we hit vtec?

Newcomer Array
    A VTEC engine is not like any other car at low RPM, is it actually has a relatively lower cam profile than most non-VTEC engines.
    This is because other manufacturers must design one cam lobe to give the best balance of low rev fuel economy and high rev power. Because VTEC engines have two lobes with different profiles, they are able to have a relatively smaller lobe at low revs and use a larger one at high RPM. This leads to better fuel economy at low revs and more power at high revs.
    The idea is not to have a big peak in the torque curve, but to have a smoother, flatter torque curve.

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(BTW: Got any contacts with Honda NZ where I could get new parts for my SiR? )
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX