Thread: abs question

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic

abs question

hello all, just curious on some information regarding 96-00 rear civic disc brake modules

I recently bought a kit to complete the conversion (hubs, arms, calipers, lines etc etc)

we got to the stage of loosening off the hand brake lines, draining out a lil fluid when we noticed the abs module harnesses were cut on the conversion set

see as they are a complelely different arrangement to the stock EJ8 drum abs module and as we found EK9 and ITR module (in length and mounting locations purely, the module itself did however line up at the hub)

so my questions are:

*Is the connections under the seat for the abs module the same as the drum brake connectors (orange pieces)?
    *will my VTi abs MC and Prop valve be the correct fitment to use with the new rear brakes, or would I have to upgrade to a VTi-R prop valve and MC?

thanks in advance, as usual good info will have a rep point left per response
    Last edited by EK1.6LCIV; 22-06-2009 at 09:31 AM.
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

It would make sense to me that if you are upgrading the brakes with a higher pressure requirement that you would want to ensure the MC is capable of supporting the brakes. Also, you may want to look into a brake bias controller so you can ensure the right amount of braking power is getting to the front/rear. From my understanding the VTI cylinder is the same as the VTI-R unit, with only the Type R unit being bigger (to support bigger brakes all round).

Question is, do you really want ABS? I mean, i am not sure how effective that ABS module actually is (regards to number of channels, whether it operates each wheel independently or treats the rears together on one channel etc). My concern is that it gives a false sense of security and from experience the older ABS units simply weren't all that they were cracked up to be ..

I can't help with regards to the ABS Module query -- I would advise doing a search on www.honda-tech.com (american resource) as they have a lot of info on their database if you can't find the answer here.

Hope that helps.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    I really want to retain abs on my car as removing it is illegal, as to the best of my kowledge the EJ8 didnt have a model that was without ABS, so I see no loophole

just got some other new info that the integra abs harness may be the same as the civic one, would be interested if that was the case in terms of mounting to the arm and lengths (anything to get me not spending 600 would be of some use )

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    now Ive been told the brakes I have been sold are actually integra ones (similar to the EG?) if so are their harnesses the same I wonder to the EK?

I love J-Cups

Ahh I didn't know that about conversion (i.e. ABS / Non-ABS) and legality, how strange!

I would say so -- They try and get as many parts to have a crossover as possible to reduce manufacturing costs etc .. it'd make sense.

Will see if I can confirm that and come back to you.
    Last edited by ewendc2r; 22-06-2009 at 11:47 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    in a new note they are abs integra rear brakes (non-itr 4x100 pcd) which means I need bolts and harnesses to suit an integra

I love J-Cups