Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Moderator Array
    Car:
    s2k,ED,EG

Overheating problem

Hi guys,

Here's the story riding to work this morning in peak hour traffic noticed my Temp guage was climbing only when stationery when moving it drops again any suggestions? I've checked the coolant bottle seems full. Forgot its a CBR250RR aussie spec.

Thanks
    Perry

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F
    If this is abnormal for your bike, try changing the coolant.
    My dirt bike used to run real hot in the sloppy stuff and boil the coolant, until I went to "engine ice" coolant.
    It's expensive, but works real good.

You do know you need airflow through the radiator to drop temp?
    Honda Accord Euro CU2 / Lexus IS-F

Moderator Array
    Car:
    s2k,ED,EG
    This is the first it happen since I never ride it to work in peak hour traffic but I can sort of smell coolant burning from yesterday. Anyone here rides their CBR250rr to work often?

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    It will rise when stationary untill the fan turns on (no air flow to cool until fan comes on). Is the fan turning on? What temp does it go to max? Have you got a digital temp display on your dash? Mine goes to about 110 degrees before the fan turns on 06 Honda VFR800.
    Deano.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    s2k,ED,EG
    Quote Originally Posted by DLO01 View Post
    It will rise when stationary untill the fan turns on (no air flow to cool until fan comes on). Is the fan turning on? What temp does it go to max? Have you got a digital temp display on your dash? Mine goes to about 110 degrees before the fan turns on 06 Honda VFR800.
    Not sure if it has a fan honestly its 99 a model and its a analog gauge the needle just passes the P word. dont know if its normal or not.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Does the bike also have a coolant thermostat? It does look very similar to a failed thermostat in a car.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Perry I told you just to put in a fan switch there are kits available to buy for the MC22

Check the thermostat to make sure its not worn out or damaged. Just pull of the left hand side fairing (the side of your clutch lever) and it will be at front of the radiator at the bottom. Just pull it out and have a look.

My CBR250 also heats up if im stuck in traffic and not moving. Its just cause no air is flowing through. The fan should kick in around 3/4 of the way, if your not sure its working just get off the bike and have a look, you would be able to see it.

The temp should never exceed it's operating range. That's the job of the
    Thermo, rad fan , thermo switch and radiator to circulate and cool down coolant when needed.
    Saying this , IF your bike overheats in ANY situation it points to one of the above having a fault.
    I'd look at a failing thermo switch (located on the corner of the radiator) first. It tells your fan to turn on and is a easy replacement

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    EK4 VTI-R
    could be thermostat, mine went last week and was exact same problem, i dont know if the bikes have a 2way thermostat gate thing...basically when the engine is warming up the gate is closed and the coolant stays in the engine and when the temp goes up it opens an recirculates it through the radiator? happend in my civic other day, probably same thing?

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    integra
    make a fan swtich it works switch it on when it reaches above normal operating temperatures

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1993 Honda Integra VTiR
    Check the fan fuse.