Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    XR6 Turbo
    I have always thought a LSVTEC with B16a pistons would make for a nice street setup. Deck the block 20 thou, ARP rod bolts and head studs, new rings and bearings, etc, etc shouldnt cost too much and will give you enough compression to use a decent sized cam. Add the usual I/H/E + IM/TB + tuning and I reckon you would have yourself a decent NA setup.

B20VTEC Build Thread

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    whats your budget
    are you doing it yourself
    or paying someone ?

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    Quote Originally Posted by reedyek4 View Post
    i dont know what the weight difference is between a b16 and a b18 but surely stroking the b16 must be lighter then the b18? could be wrong
    9-10mm worth of alloy on top of the block,9-10mm lower centre of gravity.............
    meh,i'll take the longer rods option thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    You can tell the difference between a b16a and b18c block

I know proconcept is running a stroked B16a to stay in their class
    is there some sort of readily visual external ID(besides engine#) without measuring?

how would u tell at the track,besides pulling a random dyno run on the class & inspecting all the sus figures?

despise class cheats,they are the ones that get more enjoyment out of proving themselves better than others,rather than just enjoying driving for the sake of it.
    driver skill>class cheats

Quote Originally Posted by CRXer View Post
    ahh yes,the ol' sneaky engine number trick
    i wonder if many people try it on in class racing?
    despise class cheats,they are the ones that get more enjoyment out of proving themselves better than others,rather than just enjoying driving for the sake of it.
    No point actually - If you look at IPRA, its "Under 2 litres" or "Over 2 litres"
    So even if you bored up a 1.6 to 1.8 or even 2, you're still within the class - Thats not cheating.

It only matters if you have a 2litre B16 and you enter in under 1600 category (CAMS Supersprints), but as far as I know, one competitor ran a B16 in 1601 to 2000, but that not cheating either - Well within the rules.

Well, at the grass roots level - alot is taken on good faith - but seriously, there's no point cheating anyway, I mean, its only bragging rights you win..LOL

I know proconcept is running a stroked B16a to stay in their class
    Proconcept ran the B16 block not so much to stay in class but to counter weight penalties. Had they ran a different block compared to what the car came with, IPRA rules states they will have to meet a minimum weight requirement.

Similar with Supersprints, which technically should comply with 3J rules (IPRA).
    Last edited by e240; 24-06-2009 at 01:29 PM.
    MFactory Competition Products

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    yeh,i got no idea of class rules leo,i'll prob never be fortunate enough to even go class racing lol.

just dont like the people abusing the "good faith" leaving the other drivers doubting their own skill.i can think of one person illegally using slicks in his grass roots class & bragging all over another forum right at this very moment.........

Account Disabled Array
    9-10mm worth of alloy on top of the block,9-10mm lower centre of gravity.............
    meh,i'll take the longer rods option thanx.

is there some sort of readily visual external ID(besides engine#) without measuring?

how would u tell at the track,besides pulling a random dyno run on the class & inspecting all the sus figures?

There is a little trick to know if its a b16a or b18c block.. i think is checking the water port outlet or something along those lines

Account Disabled Array
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeForce View Post
    I have always thought a LSVTEC with B16a pistons would make for a nice street setup. Deck the block 20 thou, ARP rod bolts and head studs, new rings and bearings, etc, etc shouldnt cost too much and will give you enough compression to use a decent sized cam. Add the usual I/H/E + IM/TB + tuning and I reckon you would have yourself a decent NA setup.

My mate had a similar set-up which made decent power for the money spent

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    There is a little trick to know if its a b16a or b18c block.. i think is checking the water port outlet or something along those lines
    your thinking of the water outlet on the head
    pr3-intake side
    p72-exhaust side

Account Disabled Array
    i mean the distance of the water port to the gearbox or the block(i think)

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    there's a bleeder valve for the radiator near the water port your looking at for a b18 & b16 doesn't have one
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    Quote Originally Posted by Benson
    oh ok,yeh that makes sense,i suppose if uve seen enough of them it would be easy to spot evrything moved up or down 10mm or so.

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    B16A base of the cyl head is level with top of gearbox...
    B16B~B18C~b18A~B20B the base of the cyl head is 7mm above the top of the box
    TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
    TODA Racing - FIGHTEX - MFactory - HALTECH - EXEDY
    Race engines, Dyno tuning, Licenced workshop, Parts.
    P:0401869524 email: toda@todaracing.com.au