Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    ( . )_( . )

Do you have cold start stiff gearbox issue 5sp Manual?

Just wondering, ever since my mrs got her 07 vtis jazz, when the car is cold its hard to change into 2nd gear eg. 1-2 or 3-2?

Even once the car has warmed (temp light off) it is still relatively stiff/notchy/bit of a crunch, then goes as the car travels further (obviously gearbox warms up)

Now i've spoken to honda and they reckon its normal, to let it warm up - to me this is unnacceptable as it should not be happening at all even while cold, i'm worried about the box wearing out.

Now does anyone else have this issue with the jazz or any other new honda?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R,AP2,GD3
    Normal thing.
    Just drive it around for 5mins and it's silky smooth.

I've actually had this problem with a few different hondas, and it only seems to happen with 2nd gear, for me, it is pretty normal for 2nd to be abit stiff, and also Reverse
    I haven't driven a Honda in years. :/ Does my honda lawn mower and whipper snipper count?

Member Array
    Car:
    09 VTIS, Lotus.
    The cold weather certainly doesn't help the shift problems on plenty of manual cars when first driving. Of course, I dont notice this in the CVT Jazz, but my 2000 MX5 is notchy in this cold weather, for about 5 minutes of driving or so. I just change gears very slowly and cautiously until in snicks through when warm.

Member Array
    Car:
    ( . )_( . )
    sweet thats basically what ive been doing, thought there may have been something wrong with the box, as some days are very bad, never had it happen on the b18c box so thought something was up.

anyway thanks for your inputs!

Member Array
    Car:
    Public Transport
    yeah it's normal... i have problem shifting in to reverse.... have to go to gear 1 and back in to reverse in order for it to work....

its annoying, i'm gonna replace the MTF, and install a magnetic plug.

I think my gf has thea old MTF fluid in it anyway. the newer one is supposed to be better.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTi
    It's perfectly normal. Mine does it too. I just take it easy and double declutch down into 2nd until the gearbox warms up. Once it does it works fine.

The only thing you can do is try thinner gearbox oil in winter, but then you might have issues when it does warm up.

Member Array
    Car:
    '07 Jazz VTi, '00 RD1 CRV
    I've actually never had this problem - '07 Jazz VTi 5spd manual.... always make sure I shift carefully for the first 5-10 mins when cold though 2nd and reverse engage with zero trouble.
    '91 CB7 Accord EXi (my first Honda)
    '07 GD3 Jazz VTi (mine)
    '00 RD1 CR-V Sport (wife's truck)

Member Array
    Car:
    CZ4A,EG-K,PP-K
    i neve rhad toruble with the Jazz or the New City .. in cold start oh well they jazz is still under 15.000 k and city is under 500 k lol..

just shift smoothly and dont force it if its stuck or u will damage somthing lol..
    Unicorn: K20R Honda Beat PP1
    BTMotorsports
    JDM Auto Link - Your source for new and pre-owned JDM parts

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG5 VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by mars_panas View Post
    yeah it's normal... i have problem shifting in to reverse.... have to go to gear 1 and back in to reverse in order for it to work....
    haha hey i do that too, is that normal? i thought it was just my gearbox fukin up or soemthing lol
    "one fat girl is equal to two hot girls"

Quote Originally Posted by ccmengs View Post
    haha hey i do that too, is that normal? i thought it was just my gearbox fukin up or soemthing lol
    Yep its normal, mine doesnt like shifting into reverse from 2nd gear either, stalled a few times trying to launch it in reverse