Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    05' Integra type s

3rd gear crunch and "pop out" in dc5s

Hey guys i've started to experience this issue, after doing some searches i have found a lot of people with a lot of different ways on how to rectify the problem, the majority of people say they change this tranny fluid which im doing tommorow with original honda fluid "fingers crossed will fix the problem" and they say it gets a lot better but still happens on the odd occasion, as its a defect in the transmission and the oil sortove just masks the problem and you just learn to live with it. What no one has covered is whats gonna happen in the long term i mean i can learn to live with it but when my cars done 80,90,100 thousand k's am i gonna be driving along and just loose 3rd gear alltogether and need a tranny replacment? or is it just an inconvenience not really causing and problems.. help a brother out! cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    No caR?
    you can get new syncros... but if your into it.. get some hasport mounts or innovative or somthing.. change ur fluid regularly and no gear problems ever again..

i havent had any of these issues ever since doing this..

start the car up first leave it to warm up for 5 mins or so b4 driving.. runs perfect.. (this worked with no mounts aswell so yeah)

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    id definitely be changing the gearbox oil.

and like dr.k20z1 said.. let it warm up, before u drive it hard.

good point man

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    You should start driving immediatly when you start your car. Letting it sit idling can create carbon deposits on your valves. You should drive slowly and shift gears carefully until up to full operating temp. If you let the car idle all the way to operating temp you run the risk of excess wear as the engine spends more time running cold.
    183.2KW ATW
    BUILT BY DR
    Tuned by INSIGHT MOTORSPORT

12.44@109.9mph

Member Array
    Car:
    Clio RS197
    Has been covered many times before (DC5R have the problem but with 2nd gear)

Change the oil, and let the car warm up before driving it. Get stiffer engine mounts or a torque dampner

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    8,090,100 k's !!!! wow
    183.2KW ATW
    BUILT BY DR
    Tuned by INSIGHT MOTORSPORT

12.44@109.9mph

Member Array
    Car:
    No caR?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002 TeGgY View Post
    8,090,100 k's !!!! wow
    lol dc5's are god like man i told you..

Member Array
    Car:
    Clio RS197
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002 TeGgY View Post
    8,090,100 k's !!!! wow
    You know exactly what he meant... but i'll still have a chuckle

i'd suggest to change ur gearbox oil, and warm up ur car for 30 seconds to a minute at the maximum...u'll cause excess wear to ur engine if u let it warm up to normal operating temp...just let it warm up for 30sec to a minute then drive carefully until it reaches operating temp...should be alright
    VTEC = Say My Name!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IndoStyler View Post
    just let it warm up for 30sec to a minute then drive carefully until it reaches operating temp...should be alright
    LOL tell that to the people living in my neighbourhood. I start my DC2 up in the morning, drive slowly out of my suburb at like, 45-50km/h to let everything get warm and up to speed, and along comes some crazy biatch in a lancer coupe flogging the guts out of her car, overtakes me at full chat on a quiet residential road. It's obvious that her car's just been started, windows frosted over and all.

Back to the gear thing, DC2s too have a history of failing synchros. Usually on a DC2 the fifth and third gear synchros wear fast. The fifth gear synchro on mine is already dying, it grinds fifth gear during regular upshifts. Even the famed Redline MTL transmission fluid couldn't help, though the Redline stuff did help all the other gears shift much, much smoother. I get around the dodgy fifth gear synchro by double de-clutching all fourth to fifth gear shifts. So far so good.

The alternative is a new gearbox, an approximate $1K expense, or a rebuild, which would cost even more.
    Last edited by dinorider; 08-07-2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Member Array
    Car:
    2005 VBP DC5 TypeS
    i've changed my gearbox oil, put on an engine torque damper and it still pops out
    it's the cold that makes the gearbox do this.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5s
    Quote Originally Posted by vtec'ing View Post
    Hey guys i've started to experience this issue, after doing some searches i have found a lot of people with a lot of different ways on how to rectify the problem, the majority of people say they change this tranny fluid which im doing tommorow with original honda fluid "fingers crossed will fix the problem" and they say it gets a lot better but still happens on the odd occasion, as its a defect in the transmission and the oil sortove just masks the problem and you just learn to live with it. What no one has covered is whats gonna happen in the long term i mean i can learn to live with it but when my cars done 80,90,100 thousand k's am i gonna be driving along and just loose 3rd gear alltogether and need a tranny replacment? or is it just an inconvenience not really causing and problems.. help a brother out! cheers
    If your under warranty, print this out and take it to a Honda Dealership. I got my 3rd gear changed under warranty