Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: arc welding

Member Array
    Car:
    Beautiful facelift EJ8!

arc welding

has anyone here got any tips for a first time welder?

i've got an arc welder at home and would like to know any tips you guys might have.

Job: about 2-3mm steel [exhaust pipes]

thanks!
    Last edited by Dy_; 28-06-2009 at 10:25 PM.

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Do a tafe course.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    I'm planning to do a tafe course in the next few weeks, I agree with the above.

Danny, if you need something welded a mate of mine is a boiler maker by trade and could do it for you.

Send me a Pm if you want him to do it for ya (won't want much, maybe chuck him a few bucks or a beer or something?)
    SPAMMAPS
    Carburettor|Nation

that mikey G guy is the biggest shit talker ive ever met..
    in the space of 15minutes he sold two sets of wheels. claims a guy under the username DNT-CRY bought them!

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    Good luck....
    Stick welding exhaust pipes would suck & propably end up looking like shit.
    (Especially if done by a 1st timer)

Better off using a MIG or TIG...
    If you're going to persist...
    Get a really good welding helmet so you don't get flashed,
    & practice heaps on stuff you don't need before you cost yourself more than you would if you pay someone else to do the job...
    & if the parts are attached to the car...
    Ge a surge protector or remove the ECU
    Last edited by TODA AU; 28-06-2009 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Can't spell yoourself lol
    TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
    TODA Racing - FIGHTEX - MFactory - HALTECH - EXEDY
    Race engines, Dyno tuning, Licenced workshop, Parts.
    P:0401869524 email: toda@todaracing.com.au

Get some scrap and practice, a lot. I would suggest not even thinking about arc welding with the parts still atttached to the car.
    Last edited by JohnL; 28-06-2009 at 09:01 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Eg Civic
    i wouldnt arc weld an exhaust mate
    i just did my block of it for my apprenticeship (fitting and turning) and trust me its not as easy as it looks, welds can be neat but take alot of time and a steady hand,
    I did about 8 hours of it and was getting the hang of it, started with weld beads, then pads of weld, then building it up, then i did a T fillet, corner and lap joints and finally a butt weld

IHMO as the boys said do a tafe course, but if i were you money would be more wisely spent on someone doing it for you
    "Wheels are like bosoms to men, and cars have four of them"

Member Array
    Car:
    EK9
    As has been said above, ARC welding (unless it is shielded arc) is best left for heavy construction,or out door work where it is not practical to use MIG or TIG.
    Most exhaust tubing should be about 1.6mm thick mild steel, so even an experienced stick welder will struggle to keep the weld pool under control.
    "Understeer you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Member Array
    Car:
    Eg Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by 82911 View Post
    As has been said above, ARC welding (unless it is shielded arc) is best left for heavy construction,or out door work where it is not practical to use MIG or TIG.
    Most exhaust tubing should be about 1.6mm thick mild steel, so even an experienced stick welder will struggle to keep the weld pool under control.
    Nail on the head!

As said above, 1.6mm steel is hard to arc weld, and very easy to burn though it, i knw i melted the corner of my T fillet in 1.6 just trying to tack it
    "Wheels are like bosoms to men, and cars have four of them"

Member Array
    Car:
    Beautiful facelift EJ8!
    yeah i was just practicing some weld beads earlier...wasnt too bad.

My bpipe etc are off the car just need to cut and joint a few spots for the install. Basically i cant get my hands on a cig or tig welder. I'm willing to pay for an exhaust shop to do it but i want to learn it for myself.

Also not too fussed on the weld spots being neat. Just scared of putting holes in the pipe lol. although i tried hard to put a hole in some random 3mm thick steal and couldnt do it? is it easy to put a hole in it?

thanks everyone

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    integra
    how long does the course go for?

Quote Originally Posted by 82911 View Post
    It can be done, but 'arc' isn't the technique of choice for such thin steel (especially plated, which tends to cause the stick to 'stick' to the job). MIG,TIG or oxy-acetyline would be far easier and likely to give better results.

To do it with an arc / stick welder you will need to more or less do it as a series of 'spot' welds, each 'spot' overlapping the last. To do this successfully takes patience since after each 'spot' you need to stop and wait for the metal to cool off enough that the next 'spot' doesn't blow a hole.

Oh, and the metal will need to be clean...

Member Array
    Car:
    Beautiful facelift EJ8!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
    It can be done, but 'arc' isn't the technique of choice for such thin steel (especially plated, which tends to cause the stick to 'stick' to the job). MIG,TIG or oxy-acetyline would be far easier and likely to give better results.

To do it with an arc / stick welder you will need to more or less do it as a series of 'spot' welds, each 'spot' overlapping the last. To do this successfully takes patience since after each 'spot' you need to stop and wait for the metal to cool off enough that the next 'spot' doesn't blow a hole.

Oh, and the metal will need to be clean...
    john, what do you mean by spot welds?
    Also i have noticed while practicing that the stick does tend to stick to the job...is there a way to prevent it?