Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5R

DIY: How to make a simple false floor for sub and amp

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: To make a simple false floor for the sub and amp in the boot of a DC5R.
    Required:

- cardboard (for the weak hearted)
    - playing cards
    - MDF (1200x900mm was enough for my aim)
    - planks of wood, as high as you wish your false floor to be raised by
    - speaker carpet/vinyl or however you wish to cover the false floor
    - scissors/stanley knife
    - jigsaw
    - safety gear (like gloves, safety glasses)
    - pens/pencils
    - superglue
    - craft glue

Steps:

i decided to split the false floor into two so that it's easier to remove if i need to in the future.

1. take the carpet boot carpet and those two side pieces out and lay them out over a piece of cardboard to trace. this will give you a general shape of the boot. divide it to where you want your two floors to be, i just put the division at where the rear seats divide. cut out your cardboard templates.

2. decide how much you want to raise your false floor by. keep in mind it has to be at least the height of your amp. buy some planks of wood that is the same height as this, and make yourself a supporting frame for your false floor. you can make a box like i did, or u can just use multiple planks as 'feet' under the floor

3. place your first cardboard template onto the support frames in your boot to whichever side you wish to work with first. you will find that the template will not shape the contours of the boot. push your cardboard template as close as you can to the side of the trunk.

4. use your playing cards to shape the contours of the boot by sticking the card so that its edge is up against the wall of the boot. keep moving along the sides of the wall, having some overlap of the previous card. by the end of this step, you should have the shape of the side of the boot. repeat this for the other side too. these will be your templates with which you will transfer to the MDF board for your false floor

5. you'll find that after pushing the plain cardboard up against the sides of the wall that you'll now have a gap between the two sides, measure this gap and make yourself a piece of cardboard that will fill this gap, and sticky tape it to one of the template pieces, probably easier .

6. decide where you want your sub box to sit in your boot. place the sub box onto the cardboard template where you want your box to be in the boot, and draw an outline of it. cut this bit out.

you should end up with something like this now.

7. give it a test run - put in your template around the sub in the boot and see how it all works together. make adjustments on shape/length/width of the template if you need to. make sure when you fold your rear seats fold back up, it doesn't push your template backwards such that the template is not in line with the curves of the boot. that being said, if it does, you can always fix it later on the actual MDF false floor. its easier to take more wood off, than to put it back on ..

8. once you are happy with the fitment of it all, trace the template onto your MDF board. cut it out with your jigsaw.

9. pop it in your boot to see the near finished result. make any adjustments to its fitment if required.

10. if you wish to make an amp window, pop your amp on top of the MDF board and trace around it (or make it however big you want your window to be). cut this out with your jigsaw too.

10. should end up with something like this in the end

11. carpet/vinyl your false floor, and you're done!

Other comments: if you make an amp window, you can buy perspex or a piece of glass and use mirror fasteners. you can hook neons up for a sweet effect.
    Last edited by illuzi0nz; 09-07-2009 at 06:39 PM.

Ozhonda Subscriber Array
    Car:
    DC5R with a JDM K20A
    Awesome stuff Anthony!

good idea, lousy execution.

thanks for the idea though.

I'll do something similar in future but more detailed.

thanks for your effort.

Member Array
    Car:
    eg4
    asean ball cards...nice! lol

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    lol well, this was my first diy of this sort, so i didn't really know how to go about it, but its alright. i'm fairly happy with the result of it.
    the point of this diy was just to give an idea for people who are looking into it, i didn't expect it to be rated highly or anything, was just putting it out there thanks for checking it out.

Member Array
    Car:
    ek1 mother****er
    nice work!

any chance of pics with it all in carpet/vinyl?

Member Array
    Car:
    Teal Mx5
    nice..
    i thought that amp was a transformer logo.
    lol
    Row row row your boat

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    great stuff! do you know how much everything weighed in the end?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC4
    AUTOBOTS! ASSEMBLE! I KNEW THIS LOOKED FAMILIAR LOL hi anthony

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    lol sup tony? haha
    thanks guys, much appreciated. picture of the carpetted product is up.
    to be honest, when i wrote this diy, i hadnt finished it yet, was still waiting for the speaker carpet to come through via ebay. its still not completely finished yet, still gotta get my piece of perspex and neon to light up the amp window.

and no sorry, i forgot to weigh it. the false floor itself isn't heavy at all, probably about 5-7kg at most, my sub box on the other hand weighs a tonne ..
    Last edited by illuzi0nz; 09-07-2009 at 07:32 PM.