Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 - AP1

Pros & Cons - Auto Tranny Turbo Setup

as topic suggest wondering what the pros or cons dere are of a automatic transmission car with a turbo...

Member Array
    Car:
    Del Sol
    Pros:

- Don't loose turbine speed between shifts (stay WOT)
    - Faster shifts

Cons:

- Stock FWD auto trannys are usually weak (i know Mitsubishi are, i'm guessing honda are the same?)
    - More expensive than a manual to repair/upgrade
    - Less fuel efficent (daily driver)
    - Generally less control of the car during cornering etc....

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    Shift shock doesnt effect the auto as much as other brands. ive heard of people nuetral dropping in boost -12psi peak- for extended periods (read: they were doing a 5speed swap soon) and the trannys never skipped a beat with a cooler. Your only worry turbo wise is heat, and a oil cooler is recommended for setups heavily utilised or boosting above 8psi regulaliry.
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

My auto ****ed up when I turbo'ed my car (although it was slightly ****ed before the conversion). I'd go manual anyday.

Auto's gonna get you a quicker 1/4 tho (if you have a built auto that is). I was weighin up strengthening my auto but ended up going with the 5spd conversion and I couldn't be happier.

End of the day, manual is more fun to drive and you have more control. Saying that though, you can get a "clutchless auto" that is basically like manual anyway but will give you shofter shifting and, end result, better slips.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK (sold!)
    Factory auto's also reduces power at the wheels due to the use of a torque converter

Member Array
    Car:
    450kwCRX-DC2R-CBR600rr
    Tuning a autocar .. is the biggest problem

Factory ECU controls the auto side of the gear box, factory Auto ECU"s arn't tuneable, thus you must realy on a piggyback device to tune a auto car.

Regards James

Which is what a Hondata is. A reprogrammable chip in the stock ecu = piggy back = Hondata. Which is the best ecu around .

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    e-manage will suit an auto obd2 well

hondata isnt a piggyback, its a basically a re-programmed stock ECU.
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

i have a off street datsun 1000 coupe and i'm running a auto behind it.. cant go past it!! for straight line speed that is.. the box is fully manualised big stally ect and as for control a manualised auto is just as good as a manual imo..

plus with the stally you can sit at the line and stall it up on to boost and it sounds wicked!! and will always get a consistant launch..