Thread: O2 Sensor

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM B18C Leyland Mini

O2 Sensor

OK, I have searched etc - Found the ecu pinout info in Technical, but unfortunately it doesn't help me, or maybe it does & I'm just stupid today. A couple of hopefully quick questions;
    Can anyone tell me what each of the 4 wires in the O2 sensor are for - Yes, I know that it has 2 grounds, a 5v signal & one to the ecu, but which way around for each of them? I don't want to end up putting 12v (or 5v) down the wrong way of a current loop, as I assume that it would be . . . bad.
    Secondly, once I get the O2 operating, what sort of signal am I going to get out of it - I know that I am after an air-fuel ratio of 14.7:1, but what does that equate to?
    I.E. I am going to get a value in the EMS Tuning display of "Insert bad number here" & I will need to auto-tune it to "Insert good number here".
    Can anyone tell me what the "Good number" is?

I have a B18C5 Type R (I think - It's a 1999 JDM B18C), running with an EMS 8860 ecu.

Not an answer, but a stock O2 sensor can pretty much only answer the question "Is the air-fuel ratio 14.7 or not". Tuning with a narrowband will only give you success in the columns you want to be 14.7 (idle range). The rest of the load columns will require a wideband O2 sensor to find the actual air-fuel ratio.

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM B18C Leyland Mini
    The ECU can (According to the instructions) be tuned by selecting the O2 reading value that I want, then telling the ECU to change the fuelling map to make it fit that value. Therefore if I wire it up correctly, then all I need to know is what the actual correct reading I want from the O2 sensor, & just tell the ECU to do it.

The stock 4-wire O2 sensor can only tell you 14.7 or not, it won't give you an analog range coresponding to a range of air fuel ratios.

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM B18C Leyland Mini
    Found the info I am after - BlkCrx posted it in response to a question about "Running Rich" in the Technical Forum. Found it by searching for "Oxygen Sensor Voltage" - It was the 'voltage' bit that narrowed it down enough.
    String - You might want to have a look at it . . . . I wish it was a sticky, but I guess that most of the people on here don't need the info.

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugman View Post
    Found the info I am after - BlkCrx posted it in response to a question about "Running Rich" in the Technical Forum. Found it by searching for "Oxygen Sensor Voltage" - It was the 'voltage' bit that narrowed it down enough.
    String - You might want to have a look at it . . . . I wish it was a sticky, but I guess that most of the people on here don't need the info.
    funny how u say the "voltage" bit "narrowed" it down......

string is right dude,stock narrowband O2 is useless to your purposes,unless u want to set a target lambda of 14.7 right across the board.........
    not the best idea for WOT tuning.......

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM B18C Leyland Mini
    Um, yes - "Oxygen sensor" gave me 135 posts to trawl through, while "Oxygen sensor voltage" gave only 6. It is a narrower/more focussed search.

OK, so I guess I should also have asked;
    Is the Primary heated O2 sensor on a B18C Type R (Located at the end of the header pipe before the cat) a Wide band or Narrow band sensor?

I.E. You are telling me about Narrow band sensors, while BlkCrx talks about Wide band ones, but what do I have? The info on Wide band ones gave no indication that they are are an extra modification - It gave me the impression that they are standard on Hondas.

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    ii meant "narrow" down the voltage,lol.

stock O2 is narrowband,ie its virtually an on/off switch,switching around stoic(14.7)

u will need an aftermarket wideband O2 kit to feed a more linear signal to the EMS,then u can set your target AFR's to what they should be at WOT/mid>high throttrle etc.
    EMS will have a bitch of a time tryin to autotune around a virtual on/off switch in any case.

Stock B-series O2 sensors are narrow band. They have a three state output: richer than 14.7:1, 14.7:1 and leaner than 14.7:1. This is insufficient information to tune fuel maps. You will need a wideband O2 sensor. Each manufacturer has different voltages coresponding to different a:f values but they are documented and graphs are available for all of them.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    your gonna need a wide-band sensor if u wanna use that tunning display
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM B18C Leyland Mini
    *Sigh*

Thanks guys. I'm cranky, & about to be even more broke, but thanks for the info.
    It just wasn't what I wanted to hear . . . . .

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    decent wideband & controller is only like $200-$300,u dont need a gauge if your datalogging the sensor,or even a cheap voltmeter u can hook up & just think of the AFR's in terms of volts.