Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    93 PRELUDE

how much more power?

i have a 1988 prelude si with the B20 in it.
    just wondering what kind of power gain i could expect if i got a new exhaust system? prob a 2.25" from cat back just mild steel (nothing special) from exhaust shop.
    or is there a better option?
    also i was curious is the any thing else that would give a cheap but worth while power gain? (i already have a pod and i am on a budget)
    Thanks
    Saul

About 5-10kw at the wheels

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1988 Honda Prelude Si
    How did you fit your pod, and how much gain did you notice from it?

Ozhonda Subscriber Array
    Car:
    Ludes
    You are most probably losing power with your pod if it is sucking the hot engine compartment air. I measured the temperature of the air when I had a K&N and at standstill at the lights it hit 70+ degrees (Temp could not be read at anything higher). And when I put the stock air box in I only hit 45 degrees, your best bet is to put a K&N in your stock box.

Quote Originally Posted by elude
    i have a 1988 prelude si with the B20 in it.
    just wondering what kind of power gain i could expect if i got a new exhaust system? prob a 2.25" from cat back just mild steel (nothing special) from exhaust shop.
    or is there a better option?
    also i was curious is the any thing else that would give a cheap but worth while power gain? (i already have a pod and i am on a budget)
    Thanks
    Saul
    NSX headlights, DI NOC Carbon film, Flips Parts sale .

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    93 PRELUDE
    cheers guys, yea i just got a bit of steel piping and put the k&n on the end. the pod sits at the front right next to the battery and theres abit of power loss from 0-60km, but after that it runs a bit quicker. it is worth tryin to put some heat resistant plastic to sheild a bit of engine heat or moving the piping? movin the battery is prob a bit extreme?

Check out www.preludeaustralia.com.
    I'm sure theres plenty of guys in your shoes....

Anything over 2.5 inchs on a 3rd Gen Prelude (exhaust wise) you loose power. Dyno proved on a 1990 Prelude in front of my eyes.

I had a 2.25 from cat back, and then got a new cat and custom extractors.

Difference?
    Low level torque was good between 1,200rpm to 3,700rpm and it was breathing alot better.

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1, JAZZ, ITR, EURO
    You can try cold air intake. It may help you to get cold air. 2.25" exhaust is good size for NA car. Good luck!!

Member Array
    Car:
    1988 Prelude
    i have recently put a 2.25 inch exhaust catback on my 3rd Gen prelude. There was a slight increase in the power but without a resinator it sounded like crap. I took it back to the shop and they fitted a Lukey resinator. The power increased again. Probabaly around 5kw increase at the most.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    B20A Turbo prelude
    Quote Originally Posted by LUD02C
    Anything over 2.5 inchs on a 3rd Gen Prelude (exhaust wise) you loose power. Dyno proved on a 1990 Prelude in front of my eyes.

I had a 2.25 from cat back, and then got a new cat and custom extractors.

Difference?
    Low level torque was good between 1,200rpm to 3,700rpm and it was breathing alot better.
    This statemant is true AS LONG AS u r running a relitively STOCK 3rd gen lude. Don't group all 3rd gens in one boat.

As for the sucking hot air. Every 4 degrees u lower the air temp is approx 1% power increase.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    93 PRELUDE
    yea, thanks dudes. i think the cold air intake mod is pritty useless on a 3rd gen cause there is just no room to put it to intake cold air, without moving the battery. think i'll just redo stock pipin with a K&N. 2.25 exhaust piping sounds like a go.
    plus have you ever heard a really nice sounding exhaust on a 3rd gen lude; they all seem to groan untill 4000revs. agree?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    3rd gen. Prelude
    shecomb is right about the power the exhaust will give u....
    might be worth saving up for a set of extractors too, that'll probably give u an extra 10-20kw