Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by IEVAQ8 View Post
    i cant believe the engine has let go, only just after ur final tune.......

its a fukn shame.......

take ur time building it and ask heaps of questions and speak to the right people and especially ur tuner.........

it maybe possible that the gaping on the new plugs where wrong and it let go with a strong detonation, or possible just coincidence it let go after change of plugs.

let me know if u need any help
    Im sort of shocked as well, didnt expect it to detonate so early.

Ill have to check out the plugs and inspect everything, dont want to buy new pistons again after this rebuild, one time detonation is already too often

Thanks tom!

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    plugs could do it but you should have noticed detonation, its really obvious.
    doubt its the catch-can setup
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 Turbo
    The car got tuned first time end of last year i think.
    Then i got new exhaust which allowed more boost and drove around like that for about 2 or 3 months, when adrain ran the first run before he tuned it he said it was running lean so maybe the detonation happened a few weeks ago and its just taken a while for the crack or whatever to show properly......

Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    That shouldn't affect it. Also, PCV is not the same as EGR.
    How long were you running your car without a tune, and how long did it take to reach the final tune? Were you driving your car with spurts of acceleration during the phase where you were still tuning it?

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    i think it might have been either on its way from previous old crappy tune, or the gapping on the plugs were way out

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
    plugs could do it but you should have noticed detonation, its really obvious.
    doubt its the catch-can setup
    Could it have been a small detonation that just caused a crack in the ring land and when i gave it a boot the other day it decided to finally break?? Because when i first started to notice the problem it was minor and just got worse and worse the more i drove, first i thought i was getting paranoid when i heard the very slight wrx noise then as i got closer to home it was louder, i then drove 5 min down the road that day and noticed smoke starting to pour out of my catch can.

Maybe if im lucky its just a head gasket but i dont think im that lucky.....

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    when r u gonna pull the head off for a look?
    = First Production Company To Produce 100HP Per Litre NA

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 Turbo
    Im going to start on it tonight, was going to do it last night but it was getting late after all the tests

Ill keep this thread updated so you can follow if you want, i think it might be starting to get into the wrong section on the forum though, mods can move it to forced induction or technical if they want.......

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by tayl51601 View Post
    The car got tuned first time end of last year i think.
    Then i got new exhaust which allowed more boost and drove around like that for about 2 or 3 months, when adrain ran the first run before he tuned it he said it was running lean so maybe the detonation happened a few weeks ago and its just taken a while for the crack or whatever to show properly......
    If you increased the boost without retuning and it was running lean, then that could be the cause of the failure. It doesn't need to detonate to cause damage. Just by running lean, the cylinder temperatures are very high and can cause gradual damage.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

let me know if you want me to drop down the road and help man

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    If you increased the boost without retuning and it was running lean, then that could be the cause of the failure. It doesn't need to detonate to cause damage. Just by running lean, the cylinder temperatures are very high and can cause gradual damage.
    Yea it could have been because it was running lean for so long, i did do a road trip to sydney running lean aswell...... Will find out soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    let me know if you want me to drop down the road and help man
    Thanks man! Your always welcome to just come around and have a look if you want!
    Will let you know if i need help

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 Turbo
    Looks pretty clean imo

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    If i lower the compression of my pistons to about 9 (use the Mahle pistons) that should also help shouldnt it?
    Yes, a little lower in the compression will do wonders for reliability.

Sorry about all the questions but what about CP Pistons PN: SC7000 - 81.00 9.0:1 C/R

They will give me a lower compression ratio and are standard size so i dont have to bore the cylinder??
    If the bores are damaged from the pistons,
    It's unlikey you'll get away with stock bore pistons.
    If you have to hone it so much that the piston to bore clearence is compromised, you're better off using the 1st or 2nd oversize.
    TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
    TODA Racing - FIGHTEX - MFactory - HALTECH - EXEDY
    Race engines, Dyno tuning, Licenced workshop, Parts.
    P:0401869524 email: toda@todaracing.com.au