Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tayl51601 View Post
    Damn lol i thought the mirror finish was a good thing

To get that fresh cylinder look just means a honing doesnt it?? Wouldnt mind doing that before the new pistons go in any way if i could get someone to give me a hand lol

Just out of curiosity what difference would it make having the cylinders honed compared to leaving them the way it is?? The pistons would still slide through smoothely and the rings would still stop any slight leaks whether its honed or not.
    I've never done it before but i can't imagine it being too hard for someone who knows what they're doing. I doubt a mobile guy would be able to do a descent job though. It wouldn't be too hard to get the engine out of the bay seeing as though you've already pulled most of it apart. then you can take it to a proper shop.

Im not 100% sure if i'm correct, but from observing freshly built blocks they all have this "cross hatching" from the honing/boring being done.

AFAIK the honing helps seat the rings against the cylinder walls during the initial run in. Once again though, check with an engine builder.

By the way congrats on getting your car on the ozhonda calender
    thanks mate.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 Turbo
    I should be getting my pistons this week........hopefully......

Just want to check, what position should the pistons be in before i put the head back on so i know the timing is right??
    I know piston no.1 and 4 have to be higher than the middle ones but do i turn the crank until they are perfectly inline with the top of the cylinder or is there a certain distance between the top of cylinder and top of pistons??

I thought i need to check because before i took the head off i got the camgears in the right position and when the head came off piston 1 and 4 where about 1.5 inches lower than the top of cylinder (can see it in pic of dirty pistons posted a few pages back)

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 Turbo
    Taken me a while to get all the tools but i got the head and everything back on last night.

Finished it all off this morning and started the car, it shat oil and coolant like crazy out the back of the head so obviously the head isnt sealing properly for some reason.
    I have torqued all the bolts to 83Nm with new head gasket and everything.

I cant figure out why the head could possibly be leaking so much unless its damged, does anyone know why it could be leaking so bad??
    Keep in mind i have made sure its all gone back together properly with the right torques and everything, and the torque wrench is brand new..............

did you torque then retorque the head bolts a few times? they stretch aparently and need to be done a few times to get the right torque reading.

Member Array
    Car:
    delsol crx
    did you torque the head to 83nm and then carried out the angle torque aswell?

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    Taken me a while to get all the tools but i got the head and everything back on last night.

Finished it all off this morning and started the car, it shat oil and coolant like crazy out the back of the head so obviously the head isnt sealing properly for some reason.
    I have torqued all the bolts to 83Nm with new head gasket and everything.

I cant figure out why the head could possibly be leaking so much unless its damged, does anyone know why it could be leaking so bad??
    Keep in mind i have made sure its all gone back together properly with the right torques and everything, and the torque wrench is brand new..............
    Slap yourself....
    The head gasket is on up side down...
    TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
    TODA Racing - FIGHTEX - MFactory - HALTECH - EXEDY
    Race engines, Dyno tuning, Licenced workshop, Parts.
    P:0401869524 email: toda@todaracing.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonGilholme View Post
    did you torque then retorque the head bolts a few times? they stretch aparently and need to be done a few times to get the right torque reading.
    I took the cams off and everything straight after it happened and checked the head bolts and they were still all fine.

Quote Originally Posted by delsol9000rpms View Post
    did you torque the head to 83nm and then carried out the angle torque aswell?
    Yep 83nm, dont know what a angle torque is though..............

Quote Originally Posted by TODA AU View Post
    Slap yourself....
    The head gasket is on up side down...
    lol are you serious???
    Ill flip it around and try again then lol.........

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    ^ Sounds like you are learning alot. Good to see but just becareful!

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Chr1s View Post
    ^ Sounds like you are learning alot. Good to see but just becareful!
    I am learining heaps, wont ever regret doing it..........

And i am an idiot lol, i just saw it says up on the head gasket and yea, i did put it upside down lol

Member Array
    Car:
    Dc2 + EG
    Atleast it's nothing serious mate!
    It's awesome to see people actually doing their own engine work (we assembled my brothers engine in our garage)
    Major props to you mate

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    lol about HG. Silly mistake.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_foy View Post
    Atleast it's nothing serious mate!
    It's awesome to see people actually doing their own engine work (we assembled my brothers engine in our garage)
    Major props to you mate
    Thanks mate!
    You have to have a lot of patience to do this by yourself with nothing but a service manual and the internet lol

Ive got the car running thank god, after putting the camshafts in upside down........lol im a bit of an upside down kid...........
    Except i still cant drive it because the idol is stupidly high, it revs up n up n up until i switch the car off. I think its a leak somewhere in the intake manifold, missing bolt or hose..... But i cannot find out where the leak is, i have searched and searched but had no luck yet

At least its running now lol, its such a small problem its annoying i cant find it.