Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Modified Civic or Accord..

Hey, I originally wanted to buy a Prelude (1997+) for about $8,500-9,000 but even though that's feasible, I've dumped the idea because maintenance (and insurance) is meant to be quite expensive because it's considered a sports car.
    So somebody has advised me to buy an Accord or even Civic; they said maintenance for an Accord is only a bit more expensive than that for Fords/Holdens and Civic is pretty much the same. They advised if I bought a (fundamentally) stock Civic that I could just make modifications to the body kit and suspension and it would probably still be cheaper overall.
    So i'm thinking of either doing that or buying an Accord (not the 3.0L engine one) - for either i would get whatever year I can get for under $9k and one that has done less than 150,000kms. So I just wanted to know what you all would do.. What advise and insights can you give on both of these cars (their lifetime, maintenance, things to look out for, best years to get .etc.)? Also it would be great to see any photos of how any of you have modified your Civic! Thanks in advance.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG3
    it would be great to know what models you are interested in.
    Why hello there

oh.. well i'd want a sedan and I guess what I can get get for that price range.. how do the models differ? what would you suggest?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    soo many variables, different engines, exterior styles, you name it lol
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    95 Accord VTi
    Get a CD5 accord.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    ED9 b18cR crx
    CD5 accord. they have a great look, great interior, lots of performance potential, lots of space and every drive is a pleasure really.
    You could get a cd5 with probably 200,000 for around $5k i think or less. The accords are more spacious and more of a family car than the civics but the civics definately take less juice. cd5 is the way to go though :P!!!!

But isn't it a bit risky to be buying a car that's done 200,000kms (i hear hondas have their timing belts changed every 100,000km/s too)? That and why opt for the 5th Gen over newer models? And why over the Civic? i should mention that this would be my first car! haha

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    ED9 b18cR crx
    my cd5 has done an easy 250,000
    as long as theyre in good condition had regular services these cars are great
    it also wrote off a brand new commodore a couple months ago and only got a bit of dinting.
    i pretty much prefer the look of the 5th gen. but i can tell you from experience it is a great car and they are stylish :P
    its my first car and im really happy with it, rapes everyone of mmy friends camrys or utes lol
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112384
    oh and te money you save if you buy a 94 accord instead of an 09 is heaps which you can put into the car, obviously not too much performance if youre on your p's but the basics, intake, exhaust, audio whatever else steering or a body kit whatever
    Last edited by zero_1234567890; 16-07-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Obviously I don't know much about cars, so is there some online shop or something that could give me an idea of costs of bodykit parts for Accord or Civics? Also are these sort of things that I would probably need to get a mechanic to add a bodykit (since i'm not really practical when it comes to cars)?

Member Array
    Car:
    Gc subaru
    Quote Originally Posted by primouomo View Post
    But isn't it a bit risky to be buying a car that's done 200,000kms (i hear hondas have their timing belts changed every 100,000km/s too)? That and why opt for the 5th Gen over newer models? And why over the Civic? i should mention that this would be my first car! haha
    not at all i my old corolla 4age had done 390,000ks and it was still going bloody strong and revving hard.. 200,000ks is nothing
    Quote oh dear ****ing lawd. my d*ck did more than move. it jumped out of my pants, and tore the fly open....

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    ED9 b18cR crx
    Firstly check ozhonda private sales because they do flow through a lot of cosmetic parts for hondas... lol
    otherwise http://www.bodykits.com/ and www.wickedbodies.net have a big range of bodykits but are in the U.S im pretty sure so if you just find the model you like and google aus it.
    http://www.carmate.com.au/ is good to and ozAccord i know sometimes has bodykits

If you want to modify the car in any way, Civics would be the path of least resistance just because of the readier availability of the bits and pieces to make Civics handle better and go harder.

The suspension and go faster parts are available for Accords, but you may well end up having to source many from the USA. Or, like me you might end up making your own modified bits and pieces, but I suspect this isn't an option for you...

One thing in favour of getting an Accord is that very few will ever have been thrashed, and many seem to have been very well serviced etc by their middle aged owners (like me, except I do thrash mine a bit...). On the other hand, many Civics have fallen into the hands of 'enthusiastic' younger blokes who drive them pretty hard, and not all maintain their car all that assiduously. My CB7 Accord now handles very well indeed, way better than any stock Honda I've ever driven (way better than almost any other stock car I've ever driven), so it can be done if you really want.
    Last edited by JohnL; 17-07-2009 at 04:34 PM.